Bailey's Crossroads is a unincorporated area of Fairfax County, Virginia, just south of Washington, D.C. inhabited by super mutants and Brotherhood Outcasts. It is available through the Operation: Anchorage add-on.
Bailey's Crossroads is named after the Bailey family that has built their farm here in the 19th century. Home to a sizable farm and winter grounds for circus animals of the family, it became known as Bailey's Crossroads around 1837, when Hachaliah Bailey purchased hundreds of acres of land to build upon. During the American Civil War, it became, effectively, no man's land between Confederate and Union territories.
The district saw extensive urbanization in the 20th and 21st centuries, obscuring its pastoral past.
The district can be reached through Bailey's Crossroads Metro and consists of the metro exit, a small plaza, a large ruined building as well as an elevator to the Outcast outpost.
- The "front" door of the super mutant infested building will spontaneously open when you approach up the ramp with the door closed. This will also happen even if there are no living non-player characters around.
- Players with wide spread weapons such as the minigun or shotgun should note that on initially entering Bailey's Crossroads, it is exceedingly easy to accidentally hit one of the many Brotherhood Outcasts in the area when clearing out the initial super mutants. While this will not turn all of the Brotherhood Outcasts in the area hostile, it can still be a nuisance.
Bailey's Crossroads appears only in the Fallout 3 add-on Operation: Anchorage.
- Bailey's Crossroads is an actual suburb of Washington, D.C., located not far from its in-game location. It is known for large groups of apartment buildings, which may be the basis of the Outcast outpost and its surrounding areas.
- There is not in fact a Metro stop at Bailey's Crossroads.
- It is possible to escape the map of Bailey's Crossroads. Heading from the Outcast Outpost back through the destroyed building the player will find a ride-on vacuum cleaner at the top of the first set of step. By jumping onto this the player can reach the bookshelf next to it, and use an item to gain a small bit of height (one box of 5mm ammunition works(Standing upright)) and reach the destroyed 3rd floor. From here the player can carefully make their way around the perimeter of the ruined room and jump out of the map.