Missing data (inventory)
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Can you at least shoot me in the head before you leave? I'm out of ammo or I'd do it myself.”— Ben Canning, upon being refused water.
Background[edit | edit source]
Canning isn't like those other layabouts, waiting on the threshold of a settlement for a hand-out. Canning is an adventurer who is almost completely unprepared for Wasteland exploring, ending up wandering around for days without water.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character can be enslaved with the Mesmetron.|
Other Interactions[edit | edit source]
Ben Canning appears in a random encounter. Upon meeting, the Lone Wanderer may choose to give him water or let him die. Unlike the water beggars found outside Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, and Rivet City who will only accept purified water, Ben will also accept dirty water. (He will not accept aqua pura, aqua cura, or holy water.) If given water, he proceeds to drink it repeatedly; when activated, he apologetically tells the character that he's not up to traveling yet. Standing after a minute or two, he simply says "Good to see you again, friend!" If you refuse to give him water, he will ask you to shoot him in the head, because he is out of ammunition, else he would do it himself. You will take a negative karma hit if you choose to comply with this request.
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
- If he is given water, he will follow the same looping route as the caravan merchants.
- If he is not given water, he will die.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Roving trader outfit|
|5 microfusion cells|
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Because he is equipped with a laser pistol, but carries microfusion cells instead of small energy cells, he has no ammunition for his weapon and his forced to fight with his fists if engaged in combat.
- You can reverse pickpocket energy cells onto Ben. This will allow him to use his laser pistol to defend himself, but at the cost of a karma loss to yourself.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Ben Canning appears only in Fallout 3.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When given water he takes out an Empty Nuka-Cola bottle or a beer bottle instead of the plastic water bottles.
- He is also known to be stuck in the ground at times, but will act normally (other than the fact that he is almost underground).
- As well as being stuck underground, he is also known to be floating half a foot above the ground too.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.62: "Ben Canning
Canning isn't like those other lay-abouts, waiting on the threshold of of a settlement for a hand-out. No, Canning is an adventure who is almost completing unprepared for Wasteland exploring, a fact he proves when he rushes up to you. He is friendly though, for a beggar."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)