Berkeley Springs is a location in Fallout 76.
Background[edit | edit source]
Located in West Virginia, Berkeley Springs was originally incorporated as Bath and remained named as such until West Virginia was formed, when it adopted the name of its original Virginia post office, Berkeley Springs. The town is built near mineral water springs that were a frequent destination among Native Americans for hundreds of years. Following European settlement, the same springs attracted their attention, turning Berkeley Springs into the first spa resort. It retained its role all the way up to the Great War, remaining a popular tourist destination. The Samuel Taylor Suit Cottage, popularly referred to as Berkeley Castle, was a characteristic element of its landscape, completed in the late 19th century.
Before the Great War, Berkeley Springs became a preferred spot for the affluent, who purchased apartments and mansions throughout the town. The service sector experienced a boom, providing services to the rich, but quickly learned that wealth also breeds arrogance and contempt. The entitlement of the rich denizens reached comical proportions when the local spa had to hike its prices to remain viable in the increasingly brutal economy and they started complaining that the spa was taking advantage of them - the idle rich, driving fast cars and living in mansions.
After the nuclear strikes, Berkeley Springs became one of the few safe spots in Appalachia. It escaped the nuclear blasts, but that only forced it to deal with an ever increasing stream of refugees. By October 25, it became apparent that the clinic was losing more than it could save and even supplies dropped off by an Army Vertibird on the 31st couldn't change that fact. The clinic was low on medication, sterile instruments, bandages, dressings, everything. The backup generators burned through their cores, forcing the staff to salvage cars for fusion cores to use for the clinic and jury-rigging systems. The worst came to pass on November 6, when the clinic ran out of spare supplies and was forced to redirect patients to Charleston and Harpers Ferry. Personnel started deserting. The clinic was pronounced effectively dead on the 11th, when a gang came to the clinic, killed two soldiers left behind as protection detail, and stole the remaining supplies after gunning down a nurse for resisting. The remaining doctor, nurse, and three patients left for Charleston on the 13th, after it became clear that the clinic and by extension, the town, were no longer safe.
Points of interest[edit | edit source]
- Berkeley Springs has two major areas: The town itself and a workshop to the southwest, up the hill, just south of Berkeley Castle. The workshop zone encompasses the bookstore and adjacent building with workshops and the workbench, terminating on the sidewalk just before the hotel to the east. It contains resource nodes for harvesting aluminum, crystal, and lead (1 each), as well as 1 food and 10 water. Furthermore, it has a power box that, as long as Thunder Mountain Power Plant is operational, provides tremendous amounts of electricity.
- The Berkeley Castle up the hill is notable for its eccentric building style and contains a bobblehead spawn and an armor workbench.
- The rest of the town stretches alongside the main road and the adjacent canal. At the southern edge of town sits the RobCo Bot Shop and an old mining station, with a large clothing store and Red Rocket gas station just to the north. The gas station contains, as usual, the player's stash, with a weapons workbench out back.
- The cluster of buildings just next to the clothing emporium and gas station includes an inaccessible weapons store and a very accessible Dr Barnaby's Pharmacy, which contains a local terminal. Mansions and residential buildings line the eastern side of town, containing several terminals. The Berkeley Springs city hall is opposite, beyond the canals, and includes two terminals, a steamer trunk inside, and a locked safe ready for looting.
- At the northern end of town sits Edna's Beauty and Spa Saloon, separated from the city hall by a playground, and the Berkeley Springs church.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Magazine spawns
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Berkeley Springs appears in Fallout 76.