Birds of a Feather
Birds of a Feather
Hi, I'm Jean-Baptiste, and you're about to stop being a pain in my ass.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Van Graffs are not a family one wants to get on their bad side; in fact, the family can provide some incentive to work with them.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush in Freeside.
- Do some guard duty for the Silver Rush with Simon.
- Be polite, turn away any drunks, and always search incoming customers. The third customer will require a Speech of 65 to convince him to be searched, otherwise he must be denied entrance and service. The fourth customer carries a bomb and must be denied entrance, otherwise he will enter the store and detonate it.
- After guard duty, return to Gloria.
- Deliver the package to the strange man in the deserts east of New Vegas.
- Talk to Jean-Baptiste Cutting
- Find Cass at the Mojave Outpost and convince her to follow you to the Silver Rush. Once she is there, Cutting will execute her. Alternatively, one can kill Cassidy themselves and report to Cutting that she is dead.
- Speak with Gloria about the final assignment.
- Supervise the deal between the Van Graffs and Caesar's Legion at the abandoned warehouse
- Return to Gloria.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
|1||Go outside and talk to Simon.|
|2||Take up position on the other side of the Silver Rush entrance.|
|3||Guard the Silver Rush entrance.|
|4||Report back to Gloria.|
|5||Deliver the package to a man at the designated location.|
|6||Report back to Gloria that the package has been delivered.|
|7||Talk to Jean-Baptiste to receive your next assignment.|
|8||Find Rose of Sharon Cassidy and get her to follow you.|
|9||(Optional) Visit Alice McLafferty, who might know where Rose of Sharon Cassidy is currently located.|
|10||Bring the Cassidy girl to Jean-Baptiste.|
|11||Return to the Silver Rush in Freeside and Tell Jean-Baptiste that the Cassidy girl is dead.|
|12||Report to Gloria Van Graff for your next assignment.|
|13||Kill the remaining Legion troops.|
|14||Report to Gloria Van Graff that all of the Legion troops are dead.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As of Patch 126.96.36.199x completing Heartache by the Number peacefully will turn the Van Graffs permanently hostile. Apparently, word gets around that the player turned them in to the NCR. This makes it impossible to complete both Birds of a Feather and Heartache by the Number in the same playthrough.
- The gambler who tries to get inside with a bomb carries a note explaining his actions, reading:
To whom it may concern, if you're reading this, then I am likely dead. I can only hope that I have managed to take out some of those thrice-damned Van Graffs with me. My family deserves that much at least.”
- If you pickpocket the bomb from the man who wants to blow up the Silver Rush and then let him in, the store will still explode.
- If Cass has already been recruited as a companion and has left to head west because of the player's evil karma, the only way to complete the "kill Cass" section of the quest is to try to catch her before she leaves the map and kill her. Her path back to the west passes through the locked gate at the Mojave Outpost, so one could fast travel there and wait for her to come through, if it hasn't been too long since she left.
- It is possible to obtain a gas grenade during this quest. If the player is quick enough, or has console commands, the grenade can be obtained. See the respective page for more information.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When Simon goes to the chest to "get your stuff," he repeatedly does the standard animation but never opens the chest and gives the player their equipment. The quest can be continued, but unless the player can pick the lock and steal the equipment, the equipment can not be acquired.
- After dealing with the fourth customer, Pacer walks by and starts a chat with Simon. If you aim at Pacer's head, he interrupts the chat and will just stand there. The quest log will not be updated and the quest will not advance.
- prid 0010d8e5, then moveto player. Alternatively, using Sneak and Lockpick to enter the back room works too. After telling Gloria that the package has been delivered, she tells the courier to speak with Jean Baptiste. However, it is possible for him to be in the locked part of the building and he will not appear, even after waiting for more than 24 hours in increments of 1 hour. Fix it by using these console commands:
- Sometimes if you bring Cass to Jean-Baptiste Cutting, after he kills her, he will walk up to you and say "Gloria's the one you want to talk about working for us. I just handle the details." Instead of saying the necessary dialogue to get to the next Job, also causing the player to be stuck.
- During the door guard section of the quest, if the Courier denies the fourth customer entry he will turn hostile. If the Courier deals the finishing blow in the resulting fight, Simon may freeze in place. He is supposed to walk over to the corpse, but will instead stay next to the door with his weapon out and become unresponsive to dialogue. If that doesn't happen, Simon may walk over to the corpse and ask for you to help him "move the body from the store front". He will stand there staring at the Courier, and will never speak the dialogue that triggers the fifth customer. The easiest way to avoid this is to let Simon kill the fourth customer by himself - he's more than capable.
- If the Kings quest line has been completed prior to starting work for the Van Graffs Pacer never shows up making you unable to complete the quest to guard the door. This bug can sometimes be remedied by attempting to enter The Silver Rush again.
- If you have finished Heartache by the Number peacefully, then choose to defend Cass, and kill Gloria Van Graff, Cass will be mad because of the player decision to kill her after turning in the evidence, and then ask you to finish the job by killing Alice McLafferty.