Can't splice enough, I always say, especially if you can make a magnificent cazador!”
Background[edit | edit source]
Before the War, Borous was a child prodigy who had been bullied at American High School by his nemesis, Richie Marcus. He also had an unrequited crush on another student, Betsy Bright, at the time. His only friend was his dog, Gabe.
It is unknown if he was inherently twisted or if he became malicious as a result of his experiences. What is known is that once he became a part of Big MT's staff as head of the X-8 cyberdog project, he began cruelly experimenting on Gabe, feeding him various drugs. Other animals also fell prey to his vicious nature, but only Gabe remained faithful and loyal, answering malice and cruelty with love and attachment. Sometime before the War, Gabe was eventually transformed into a unique model of cyberdog. However, due to errors in programming, he was sealed in an unfinished section of X-8's test areas, as a "precaution."
As head of DNA scrambling technologies, he created many odd and frightening hybrids. Among these are the night stalker, a coyote-rattlesnake mix, and the cazador, a large mutant wasp. Borous is proudly adamant that such creation exist only at Big MT and are completely sterile; both claims are obviously fabricated.
After the War, together with the rest of the Big MT "Think Tank" executives, the doctor became a think tank to continue his work at Big MT. However, when he started to show symptoms of the insanity that began to consume his comrades, Doctor Mobius, the sole sane researcher, wiped his pre-War memories, hacked his data banks and gave him the name "Borous", all to keep him and his colleagues forever trapped in the Big MT, in order to keep the horrors of the crater away and unaware of the unsuspecting world outside.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Old World Blues: If Klein can't be convinced otherwise, Borous, along with 2 other members of the Think Tank, are needed to convince Klein to give up trying to escape the Big MT.
- Picking Your Brains: After completing Welcome to the Big Empty, the player needs to talk to Borous and the rest of the think tanks to complete this quest.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player has to talk to Borous as with the rest of the Think Tank.
- A Brain's Best Friend: After Gabe's bowl is returned to him, he feels an overwhelming sense of remorse and regret towards how he treated his dog, as Gabe was a loyal companion. This feeling is quickly repressed however and Borous' personality remains unchanged on the surface.
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
If the player has shown Borous Gabe's bowl before completing Old World Blues, and the player doesn't have a 100 in science or 85 in medicine to convince Dr. Klein, Borous will side with the player in convincing Klein to back down.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- During the quest A Brain's Best Friend, he is delighted at the prospect of the player and Gabe fighting to the death, as well as having the player avoid combat all together. However, if you bring him Gabe's bowl, he will express deep regret over his actions and the way he treated him.
- If you have Gabe's bowl but have yet to complete the X-8 residential test, you can ask him if the bowl looks familiar. He can't remember, thinking it might be a cazador skull or a Bowlian. Then he tells you to find more information somewhere in Big MT.
- Test lab X-8 is a re-creation of his high school, American High, with Dr. Borous acting as the "Doctor-Principal".
- When Doctor Mobius comments on the things the scientists have forgotten, love is probably aimed at Borous, who forgot the love he shared with his dog, Gabe.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Attention students! This is the prerecorded voice of your prerecorded principal, Doctor-Principal Borous!"
- "Is it... a cazador skull? Always were bowl-shaped. Or were those the Bowlians we made-."
- "A GUN! Are you MAD?! We can't give it a GUN! GUNS kill."
- "Fwooooooosh! That... is the sound of FLUSHING."
- "Down at the end of the hall is BALL storage. For jocks who like BALLS, like RICHIE MARCUS. Do you hear me, Betsy? RICHIE likes BALLS."
- "Gaabe? Gabe, you're about to have your FAVORITE treat- a VISITOR. Won't that be nice? DON'T eat the visitor, boy. Don't. Please."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The name Borous is a reference to the name of the ancient symbol Ouroboros. The misspelling of "Boros" was an error on Mobius' part.
- Doctor Borous' speech often parodies that of a stereotypical 1950's science-fiction movie narrator.