In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
James Hsu, the bounty payer
When talking to Colonel Hsu, the commanding officer at Camp McCarran, he will mention that the Fiends of New Vegas are causing a lot of trouble for the NCR. Hsu mentions the Fiend leader Motor-Runner and offers a bounty for proof of death of the Fiend.
Head to the South Vegas Ruins and enter Vault 3. After passing through the main area of the Vault, turn left and continue following signs until you reach the door marked "Living Quarters." Immediately upon entering the living quarters, take the first left down a hallway and open the last door. This should reveal a dead Fiend (apparently killed by a booby trap) and a hallway with a mine and a tripwire to a grenade booby trap with one last mine at the top of the stairs. The player must go through this hallway to reach the missing ranger.
Through the door is a hidden area of the entrance hall to the Vault, in which the missing ranger Bryce Anders is hiding. He reveals that Hsu also contracted him with killing Motor-Runner but was deterred by the Fiends. He then orders that you should leave. From here the player has several options:
- Help the Ranger complete his mission by: Using one of your doctor's bags to heal his broken limb then either telling him he is healthy enough to help you kill Motor-Runner or convince him he is too hurt to complete his mission and telling him that you will kill Motor-Runner yourself.
- You can also betray the Ranger by immediately killing him, or convincing him that he is healthy enough to fight Motor-Runner alone (this must be done before giving him the doctor's bag) which will kill him and grant you negative karma
If Anders is convinced to leave and healed by the bag, he will open a passage from the room he was in directly to the Vault 3 entrance chamber and sneak out of the vault. This allows you to go directly from talking to him to the Maintenance Room of the vault, which is relatively easy to find (just follow where the heavy troops are) and is where Motor-Runner is located.
There are several ways to "get rid of" Motor-Runner:
- Battle your way past Fiends into Motor-Runner's throne room and kill him.
- Alternatively passing a Speech check, one can convince Motor-Runner to give them his helmet along with 150 caps to lie to the NCR and claim that the Fiend is dead. Once you retrieve Motor-Runner's helmet, deliver it to Colonel Hsu.
- Upon killing Motor-Runner, if the quest Aba Daba Honeymoon has not been taken by the player it will immediately be marked as failed. This can be solved by getting that quest before doing this one (see quest page). EDIT: Aba Daba Honeymoon does not need to be completed, as long as the transaction between you and Motor-Runner has occurred for the quest.
- If you proceed straight to Motor-Runner after passing the initial speech challenge and kill Motor-Runner while hidden, you will be unable to find Anders, who is gone when the Courier reaches him. He will reappear at Camp McCarran where he will initiate dialogue involving Motor-Runner as if in Vault 3.
- You may not receive any NCR fame at all.
- Quest name from Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide