Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.”— Bridgekeeper
Bridgekeeper is the bridge guardian of the special encounter The Bridge.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Bridgekeeper is a rather unsavoury fellow, fitting the stereotype of a crazy person to the letter. He has an unkempt beard, a raspy voice, and wild eyes. The left one in particular appears perpetually ready to launch itself at the person he is speaking to. Oddly enough, he wears purple robes with plasma burns and scorch marks all over, though the grime and dirt make them appear brown.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character provides miscellaneous services.||
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- The Bridgekeeper asks three questions. The first two concern the player character's name and quest and are easy to answer. The third one will be selected at random out of the following three:
- How much weight can a person with a strength of six carry assuming he has the Strong Back perk?(*)
- Which non-player character from Fallout 1 survived to appear in the sequel?(*)
- What is the minimum requirement for the Quick Pockets perk?(*)
- Answering the third question correctly will grant the player passage over the Bridge of Death, as the Keeper goes to the other side complaining about his job. However, with a high intelligence, the player can respond with a question, asking the Keeper to clarify the original query.
- Responding falsely or stating that the player does not know will kill the player. The same is true of the Bridgekeeper, who will be killed when he responds to the player's question that he does not know.
- Stupid characters (<4 Intelligence) will have a rather confusing dialogue, though they can still answer questions. The Bridgekeeper will even help them out of charity, though the player can still lead the Bridgekeeper to their death by asking them about their name.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The special encounter Bridge Keeper, is an allusion to the Bridge Keeper scene in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Wherein the Bridge Keeper will asks three questions, answering any one of the questions wrong results in immediate death. However the third question is a trick question and if answered correctly leads to the immediate death of the Bridge Keeper. In the movie, everyone who answers incorrectly is magically thrown into the gorge, while the game initiates the Bloody Mess death script.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bridgekeeper appears only in Fallout 2.