Butch in Fallout Shelter
Tunnel Snakes rule!”— Butch DeLoria, Fallout 3
Butch DeLoria is a resident of Vault 101 in Fallout 3.
Background[edit | edit source]
Born on December 27, 2257, Butch is Vault 101’s resident bully and Serpent King of the Tunnel Snakes (i.e. leader). Butch masks his fear and sense of inadequacy about not having a father and having an alcoholic mother by being boorish and overbearing. Masking his shortfalls has stunted his secret desire to become a hairdresser.
Carrying his switchblade nicknamed "Butch's Toothpick", he is usually found alongside his lackeys Wally Mack and Paul Hannon, harassing other students. Some of his peers, among them Amata Almodovar, view Butch as a loser destined to become a garbage burner.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character is a permanent party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Temporary only during the Growing Up Fast and Future Imperfect quests.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Growing Up Fast: On July 13, 2268, Butch attends the tenth birthday party of the Lone Wanderer. Over Amata Almodovar’s protests, the Lone Wanderer’s father insisted that Butch should be invited for the birthday party. Butch mentions to other boys that he wouldn't have come to the party, if his mother didn't insist he should attend. During the party, Butch holds a small meeting with his friends to toss around ideas for a name for their gang. He picks on the Lone Wanderer in attempt to get a sweetroll, which can end with him starting a fight.
- Future Imperfect: On August 3, 2274, Butch and his friends are verbally and sexually harassing Amata. At this point you can choose to fight Butch and his gang, tell off Amata about her weight, telling Butch that Amata's father will punish them, convince Wally to make the others leave with him by telling him that he's "just a follower", or ignore them and continue to the classroom. Later, after the G.O.A.T. examination, the teacher informs Butch that his G.O.A.T. exam answers determined him to be a hairdresser, something that amuses the long-suffering teacher and outrages Butch, who proclaims angrily, "I'm a barber, not a hairdresser!". He walks out of the room infuriated ("Whatever!"), and meets his friends outside the classroom.
- Escape!: After James's escape, the Vault becomes infested by radroaches, and Butch's mother, Ellen DeLoria, is attacked by the insects. Butch asks the Lone Wanderer to help save her. The player can choose to help Butch and his mom or leave them to their own demise. Butch can also be convinced to save his mother himself, either by giving him a weapon, or passing a speech check. Helping his mother earns you a Tunnel Snake outfit. Another option (if the player's Charisma and/or speech skills are sufficient) is to further torment Butch about his fear of radroaches via a successful speech check, causing him to flee and abandon his mother. However, if you choose this option, Butch will be found dead as you go upstairs to the atrium, the cause of his death unclear. You can also choose to kill Butch outright, making him unavailable for being your companion later in the game.
- Trouble on the Homefront: During Vault 101's factional crisis, Butch sides with Amata's rebels. He will be upset about your return due to all the problems you and your father's escape caused. Butch wishes to leave the Vault so he can make his own choices in life, and somewhat naively wants to start a new gang in the Wastelands. If asked about the events after your escape, he will mention Stanley's fears about the damage the Vault's systems sustained, and hints that permanent damage to the air filtration systems may force the Vault to be evacuated. Of course if you killed Butch in Escape! he won't be in Vault 101.
Effects of the player's actions[edit | edit source]
Butch is one of the two neutral followers in Fallout 3. Following the resolution of the crisis, Butch can be found in the Muddy Rudder in Rivet City. Once you have recruited Butch, he will not leave if your karma goes below or above the neutral range, but if you are separated or if you fire Butch your karma must return to neutral in order to recruit him again.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
Butch can give you a haircut after you return to the vault. If you choose to recruit him, he can also give you a haircut anytime during your travels.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Tunnel Snake outfit|
N99 10mm pistol*
Drops on death
|No additional items|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Butch is afraid of radroaches. He admits this to the Lone Wanderer if asked why he himself doesn't go into the room to rescue his mother from the roaches instead of asking somebody else to, yet can be induced to overcome this fear with a speech check.
- When you first encounter Butch in the Muddy Rudder and become his companion, there is a chance of getting his switchblade without killing him. Just ask to trade and it should be there. Though if you kill him after he declines, people in the Muddy Rudder won't attack.
- Snowflake of the Underworld insists that he is a stylist rather than a barber, seemingly the opposite of what Butch claims to be after taking the G.O.A.T.
- The haircut, the "Tunnel Snake", is named after his gang and is worn by Butch himself.
- Unlike all other followers, Butch must have at least 1 round of 10mm ammunition in his inventory to use his default weapon (the 10mm pistol). However, he will not actually use up ammunition when firing his default pistol.
- Butch will occasionally mention needing some sunglasses while idle or walking around with the player. Even if the player places some sunglasses or the lucky shades in his inventory, he will wear them, but will still mention needing sunglasses.
- In the Growing Up Fast quest, Butch can be heard discussing possible names for his future gang. One of the suggested names is "Vault Dwellers", which Butch calls out as stupid. This is an homage to the Vault Dweller, the original Fallout protagonist.
- Butch is tied with Jericho for being the weakest companion in the game.
- Oddly, if he gives you his Tunnel Snake outfit he will be wearing another one in Trouble on the Homefront.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Hell yeah, I do! I could be out there and kicking butt in my own gang and everything. The Tunnel Snakes could ride again!"
- "Or, y'know, slither again. Whatever!"
- "I could show you a real Tunnel Snake, Amata."
- "I'm gonna barber the hell outta that hair!"
- "Yeah, because that's how Snakes fight! Right up in your face, with fangs and... knives and stuff!"
- "I heard there were dragons out here... you ever seen one?"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Butch and his gang are modeled after 1950s-style juvenile delinquents known as "Greasers", seen in movies like West Side Story, The Wild One, Rebel Without A Cause, as well as later "retro" movies and TV programs that hearken back to the same era.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.64: "Butch DeLoria
Vault 101's resident bully and leader of the Tunnel Snakes, Butch masks his fear and sense of inadequacy about not having a father and having an alcoholic mother by becoming boorish and overbearing. Masking his shortfalls has stunted his secret desire to become a hairdresser."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)