Camp David (officially Naval Support Facility Thurmont) was the country retreat of the President of the United States. It is located in wooded hills about 62 miles north-northwest of Washington, D.C., in Catoctin Mountain Park near Thurmont, Maryland.
Background[edit | edit source]
Camp David was constructed by the Works Progress Administration from 1935 and completed in 1938 and staffed by the United States Navy and Marine Corps. It was originally named "Shangri-La" by then President Franklin D. Roosevelt for the fictional Himalayan paradise in the 1933 novel Lost Horizon by James Hilton, however it was renamed "Camp David" by President Dwight D. Eisenhower who named it after his grandson David Eisenhower.