Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard is a title granted by the First Citizen of the Vault City to exemplary citizens that have gone above and beyond the call of duty to protect the city's interest and independence. In essence, it is the highest military rank one can hold, giving him full authority over the military might of the Vault City.
Obtaining this rank within Vault City will allow the player to go back to Citizen Sergeant Stark in the Corrections Center and demand that he pay Cassidy compensation for damaging his bar, which will earn the player $500 and 500 XP. It will also allow the player to bring Marcus and Lenny into the inner city without being stopped by the guards. Bringing Marcus to the Vault doctor will earn the player XP and a considerable amount of ammunition, as he pulls years of accumulated bullets out of Marcus' body.
- Speech of 75 or more and a Charisma of more than 7.
- Be able to speak to Lynette, the First Citizen of Vault City, without killing her. No small task.
- Choose every response that addresses her as "First Citizen," including "Bye" responses.
- Stop the raiders, show Lynette the account book from the raider cave AND Bishop's holodisk detailing his affairs with NCR (located in Bishop's personal safe in New Reno).
- Deliver Lynette's disk to Westin in NCR.
- If her respect counter is high enough, she will promote the player to Captain of the Guard.
- Most of the Vault City citizen dialogues will change, especially Sergeant Stark, who will be none too pleased with the promotion. Take Cassidy to Stark for more hi-jinks and a little more XP if Stark's confronted on busting up Cassidy's bar.
The best way to insure Lynette's respect counter is high enough is to find a loop in the dialogue where the player can continually address her as First Citizen - after becoming a Citizen, the best way to do it is to keep asking her about Vault 13, choosing the response of: "First Citizen, it's very important to me that I find the location of my ancestor's Vault. If I may check the archives, I would be grateful." Loop it ten to fifteen times to be sure, then just be sure not to anger her after that.