|For an overview of shotgun models throughout the Fallout series, see Shotgun.|
Background[edit | edit source]
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun", is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of projectiles with a single pull of the trigger. This makes it very effective at hunting game, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. However, the accuracy and power found at close range diminish rapidly as you get farther away from the target. Shotguns designed for military use are often called "combat shotguns".
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The caravan shotgun is a short shotgun in which one barrel is mounted on top of the other, also known as an 'over/under' shotgun. The iron sight is a screw which holds the action release lever to the receiver.
Gameplay attributes[edit | edit source]
It can be a bit confusing when trying to aim with the iron sights; the target has to be placed behind the screw that is somewhat blocking the player character's view. There are four horizontal marks on the screw; the target needs to be behind the second mark from the top. Because of that, and its large spread, this makes it very difficult to utilize slugs effectively.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Sturdy caravan shotgun , a unique version that's more durable and powerful, albeit with a much higher spread.
- Cass' caravan shotgun, a unique non-playable caravan shotgun used by Cass. It has higher stats than the regular caravan shotgun and uses companion ammunition.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Caravan shotgun||Shotgun||45||144.6||3.2||x1||6||2.2||20||20 gauge shotgun shell||2||3||140||675||Guns:25 Strength:3|
|Sturdy caravan shotgun||Shotgun||50||160.7||3.2||x1||7||4||27||20 gauge shotgun shell||2||3||300||875||Guns:0 Strength:3|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Aerotech office park - inside suite 200, on top of fallen bookshelf to the left as you enter.
- Sold from various traders and merchants once higher levels are achieved.
- Caleb McCaffery carries one.
- One is given in the quest Beyond the Beef for completing the bad karma option.
- Found in the dead prospectors inventory in Nevada Highway Patrol station.
- Found in the weapons locker in the back of a truck on the road between Novac and Nipton.
- One is given to you if you join the Kings.
- Equipped by many Fiends.
- Carried by members of Caesar's Legion at The Fort.
- Most of the New California Republic (NCR) troopers at Camp Forlorn Hope are issued caravan shotguns, in place of service rifles.
- Sierra Madre Villa (Dead Money add-on) - when heading to the police station you will come across a skeleton with a knife spear by a fountain. Nearby is a Dean's Secret Stash and next to that a caravan shotgun and some 20 gauge ammunition.
- Crimson Caravan guards will occasionally carry this.
- In a gun cabinet (average lock) in NCR Correctional Facility at second floor of administration building.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Prior to patch 18.104.22.1682, the caravan shotgun had a minimum spread of 4 degrees and required 27 AP to use in VATS.