Catherine (Fallout 3)
|For other characters in the Fallout universe named Catherine, see Catherine.|
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
Face shot of Catherine; not intended to be seen during normal gameplay.
Female, Auto-calc stats
Ohhh... Very strapping... Ha ha ha...”— Catherine, the first time she sees the Lone Wanderer.
Catherine was the wife of James and mother of the child later known to the Capital Wasteland's residents as the Lone Wanderer. She was a scientist who worked on Project Purity with James. She is "encountered" during the character generation sequence of Fallout 3.
In the mid—2250s, as a member of the science team involved in Project Purity, Catherine befriended and fell in love with the project's chief scientist, James. In late 2257, the two lovers conceived a child. Nine months later, on July 13, 2258, Catherine gave birth to a child. After seeing her child, Catherine suffered from cardiac arrest and, despite the attempts of James to save her life, she died. Her death affected James deeply, causing him to abandon Project Purity soon after and travel with his child to raise him or her in Vault 101.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
Drops on death
- Her favorite quote from the Bible is Revelation 21:6.
- Catherine died in the prologue of the game. She appeared during a cutscene that showed the player character's birth, but the player only saw her legs and could hear her voice. A holodisk recording of James flirting with her called "better days" could be located in the Jefferson Memorial's lower levels.
- In Point Lookout, while intoxicated on the Mother Punga, you will find one of the many giant bobbleheads on a medical examination table with a skeleton marked "Mom", balloons, and a party hat. Activating the bobblehead will say "Blech. If my kid looked like that, I’d abandon it too." The skeleton is Catherine, reflecting the lack of maternal presence in the Lone Wanderer's life. Furthermore, the last bobblehead in the vision says, "Dead mother, life in a post-nuclear Wasteland and not a friend in it. Yeah, you aren't exactly blessed."
- "Oh... Oh James... We did it... A son/daughter... Our beautiful son/daughter..."
- "Ohhh... Beautiful... just like their Daddy... Ha ha ha..."
- "James? James... Something's... Something's..."
Behind the scenes
Using the console commands (tfc and teofis), the player can see that Catherine's character model was an older African American with a "No Nonsense" hairstyle, and James was Caucasian with a "Smooth Wave" hairstyle, regardless of what race or tone is used. If the player enters the console command tfc without going into third person view first, they could get a good look at Catherine up close just as the first cutscene ends.
Catherine appears only in Fallout 3.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.86: "Mom (Catherine; deceased)
Your mother died during childbirth, and was one of the scientists attempting to perfect Project Purity, falling in love with James, the leader of the scientists. Aside from her voice (available on Holotape: Better Days), you know little about your mother, except that she suffered cardiac arrest during your birth, and her favorite Bible passage is Revelation 21:6."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)