In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
The entrance is the gate within the rock formation.
Charleston cave is a location in the Mojave Wasteland. The cave is slightly north-west of Jacobstown, at the top of a snow-covered hill. Outside of the cave's entrance is a view overlooking Jacobstown and the Mojave Wasteland.
Full of stalactites and other ancient rock formations, Charleston Cave has remained closed for hundreds of years since its discovery in the early 1960s, and subsequent geological instability. Once the home to a hold-out during the Great War, nightstalkers now roam these empty chambers. A new and even more terrifying strain can shroud themselves in Stealth Boy-like invisibility.
The cave is a series of winding rock tunnels with several spacious caverns scattered throughout the stone labyrinth. The dark cave is dimly lit by many clusters of green, bio-luminescent mushrooms. Inside is a locked bunker built before the war. A Lockpick skill of 75 is required to open it.
- The unique super sledge, Oh, Baby!, is located next to the dead nightkin in the south-west cavern. Oh, Baby! and the nightkin will only be present if you have started Guess Who I Saw Today in Jacobstown.
- The hard locked door in the middle part of the map on the caves (reached by taking the northern passageway from the chamber with irradiated water), and the bottom most level of the caves is the doorway to the room that contains a Fixin' Things, Today's Physician, Lad's Life, hunting shotgun and the Post-War audio log holotape as well as numerous consumables and ammunition boxes.
- Outside the entrance there is a hollowed-out rock with ammunition.
- The cave contains at least nine "cloaked" nightstalkers. Their invisibility is a result of the Chewed Stealth Boy found near the nightkin's dead body, and is a required item for the quest, Guess Who I Saw Today.
- When you approach the cave, you can sometimes hear the nightstalkers bark and snarl.
- There is a bear trap hidden in the flooded section of the cave just before the incline to the Hard locked door.
- There are what seems to be remains of a small camp in the first circular area of the cavern (with the large stone pillar in the middle). There are two mattresses that the player can sleep on, a camp fire, and a locked ammunition box.
Charleston cave appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The nightstalkers have a tendency to get stuck, usually head-first, within the inclines of the cave passages, making it impossible to achieve a sneak head shot. If you do not have a weapon powerful enough to kill one in one shot (regardless of body part), it will become unstuck upon changing to attack mode.
- Sometimes, the player will fall through the cave floor fighting the nightstalkers and end up dropped in front of the exit.
- bighorners can be found inside the cave. Sometimes,
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collectors Edition p.291: "[1.07] Charleston Cave
Full of stunning stalactites and other ancient rock formations, Charleston Cave has remained closed for hundreds of years since its discovery in the early 1960s, and subsequent geological instability. Once the home to a hold-out during the Great War, strange mutant critters known as Nightstalkers roam these empty chambers. A new and even more terrifying strain can shroud themselves in Stealth Boy-like invisibility. Don't forget to inspect the nearby rock!"
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)