Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
We excel at destroying the old world, and we excel at building a new one.”— Chairman Cheng, Fallout 3
Chairman Cheng was the leader of the Communist Party of China and the head of state of the People's Republic. Under his rule, China clashed with the United States in the Sino-American War, invading Alaska in 2066. Despite initial successes, the Chinese military was forced into a stalemate by the American defenders and eventually beaten back all the way to the Chinese mainland. Despite that, even as late as 2077, Chinese troops continued to fight in Chairman Cheng's name, indicating he held onto power despite the looming defeat.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The GNN News Transcript references a President Xin as the head of state, however, Fallout 3 has explicitly retconned this. The translation of the Chinese term for the President of the People's Republic of China is 中华人民共和国主席: Chairman of the People's Republic of China (technically, Chairperson).
- One of the available mustaches is called Chairman Cheng and resembles the iconic facial hair of the dreaded Fu Manchu.
- His name is a reference to Ashley Cheng, production director at Bethesda Softworks.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Tenpenny Tower terminals; Exploration Database, Rebuilding Proposal
- Liberty Prime: "Chairman Cheng will fail. China will fall."
(Liberty Prime's dialogue)
Chinese soldier: ""
(Chinese soldier's dialogue)
Chinese commando: "For Chairman Cheng!"
(Chinese commando's dialogue)
Note: In the Tranquility Lane and Anchorage Reclamation simulation, "For Chairman Cheng!" is a common battle cry among Chinese soldiers. The Chinese Remnant commandos also invoke his name, while Liberty Prime explicitly states that "Chairman Cheng will fail! China will fall!"