Fallout 3 locations project
Background[edit | edit source]
In the late 1880s, Senator Francis G. Newlands of Nevada and his partners began the aggressive acquisition of farmland in northwest Washington, D.C. and southern Montgomery County, Maryland, for the purpose of developing a residential streetcar suburb. They founded the Chevy Chase Land Company in 1890, and its eventual holdings are now known as this neighborhood and Chevy Chase, Maryland. It's development from farmland and forest to middle-class housing began in the in the early 1900s, after the construction was completed on the Chevy Chase Line. The initial homes built from Sears and Roebuck catalog kit houses.
By 2077 the neighborhood has been densely urbanized. It was picked as the headquarters of the Galaxy News Network radio company, Galaxy News Radio. Among other landmarks is a prominent primary school, Early Dawn Elementary.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The area is generally linear. Accessible through three different metro stations, it is nonetheless a linear walk from them to the GNR plaza, through the ruins of Early Dawn Elementary.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- In Chevy Chase East there is a Grognak the Barbarian in the main part of the metro on the east wall.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Walking towards GNR building plaza, you will trigger a battle between super mutants and Lyons' Pride trying to protect Galaxy News Radio. However, if you have already found James, or have been to Project Purity or Rivet City, Lyons Pride as well as the Fat Man doesn't show up at all, which makes the fight with the Behemoth much more challenging. The Behemoth also arrives as soon as all the other super mutants are dead if the Pride isn't there.
- Getting to Galaxy News Radio is part of the Following in His Footsteps main quest.
- If you have Broken Steel installed, in Chevy Chase East next to the subway there is a large crate inside a bus shelter full of barrels of aqua pura guarded by a super mutant overlord.
- If attempting this at low level or with a pacifist skill set, the Pulowski Preservation shelter between the Metro exit and the super mutants can keep you alive and unscratched until Lyons' Pride finishes them off.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Chevy Chase appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Just outside the downstairs to Tenleytown/Friendship station, there's a small square with a monument that is a reference to Interplay (the original publishers of Fallout 1 and 2). The bronze Earth with a circling rocket appeared prominently when launching Fallout 1 and 2. It was originally the logo for GNN before Interplay adopted it as their official logo however.
- Chevy Chase, Washington, D.C. is a real-life neighborhood in Washington, DC.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz.