Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
The Chinese jumpsuit and the Chinese commando hat are pieces of clothing in Fallout 3. They are a military uniform worn by Chinese armed and special forces during the infiltration of the Columbia Commonwealth, as well as other conflicts with the United States.
Background[edit | edit source]
The basic People's Liberation Army uniform is a single piece jumpsuit, whose design is based on the Mao Suit. It has four large front pockets, arranged symmetrically, the Chinese flag over the upper right pocket and is typically worn together with a large leather belt and slash and a commando hat.
Each jumpsuit seen in America carries the insignia of the Chinese 127th Iron Division on the right sleeve and has two red stars on the collar.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This olive jumpsuit provides a Damage Resistance of 6 and grants a bonus of +5 to Small Guns. It can only be repaired by copies of itself. The Chinese commando hat is lined with fur and bears the emblem of the People's Liberation Army. It provides a Damage Resistance of 1 and grants a +1 bonus to Perception.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Chinese jumpsuit[edit | edit source]
The original Chinese jumpsuit is worn by Chinese commandos when the Failsafe terminal is activated during the Tranquility Lane quest. It can not be looted from their bodies, as they will merely be rendered unconscious when killed.
Dirty Chinese jumpsuit[edit | edit source]
Its wasteland counterpart, the dirty Chinese jumpsuit can be purchased at Potomac Attire in Rivet City, found in the Taft Tunnels under the Jefferson Memorial, and found on Chinese remnants at Mama Dolce's.
Winterized Chinese jumpsuit[edit | edit source]
A special version of the jumpsuit, adapted for Arctic warfare in Alaska. In contrast with the regular issue uniform, which comes in solid green color, the winterized version boasts a two color white-green camouflage pattern, black gloves, googles and gray balaclava to stave off the elements.
Unique variants[edit | edit source]
Chinese commando hat[edit | edit source]
Also called the "Ushanka" in Russian, this hat provides the wearer with phenomenal cheek and ear protection, and is often made from animal furs and hides (such as rabbit or sheep).
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Taft Tunnels under Jefferson Memorial, near the very hard terminal that Doctor Li hacks. The location can be reached via a secret manhole in front of the Citadel after The Waters of Life.
- Inside the drainage chamber near Broadcast Tower KT8. It lies on the floor next to two long dead Chinese remnant spies.
- In the Cryo Lab in the Mothership Zeta add-on, it is in the southwestern most corner room behind a door that must be activated with a switch. The hat is on a table on your right when you enter the room.
- Engineering Core of Mothership Zeta, next to an ammunition box in a northeast hallway leading to a teleportation matrix to the bridge.
Unique variants[edit | edit source]
- Hat of the People (The Pitt, originally cut content)
- Chinese General hat
- The sim version in the Operation: Anchorage add-on, it is located on the sandbag wall encountered on the way to the Chinese Forward Base Delta. It is just before you see the American soldier executing Chinese soldiers. It has unlimited durability like all sim items.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
It is a modified Zhongshan Suit (translation "Sun Yat-Sen suit", founder of the Chinese Nationalist Party). Mao Zedong has always been associated with this suit in Western press and thus it was incorrectly named after him Mao Suit in the English language. The suit was popular in the early 20th century in China. it is consider the standard/symbolic attire for the Chinese revolutionary forces that fought to create a Chinese Republic, as such use by both the Chinese Communist and Chinese Nationalist during their contest for legitimacy with the Chinese public. Even today, during special occasion, the Chinese president can be seen wearing this type of Chinese attire.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz