Combat armor, reinforced mark 2
|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Combat armor, reinforced mark 2
Combat helmet, reinforced mark 2
Background[edit | edit source]
Modelled after the human silhouette and designed to provide balanced protection that does not limit mobility on the battlefield, combat armors are a diverse family of personal body armor of varying degrees of sophistication, from the earliest iterations of the armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War.
This particular suit is a new version of combat armor, designed to replace the regular reinforced combat armor, this high tech suit was created as a heavier, more protective armor reserved for use by American shock troops and special forces.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This armor provides the same level of protection that is offered by NCR Ranger combat armor but can actually be purchased from vendors. It appears to have much thicker armor plates than regular reinforced combat armor that not only completely cover the torso, shoulders, knees and lower legs but has forearm guards along with several pouches located along the upper thighs and waist.
The helmet is a ballistic assembly, designed to protect the wearer from projectile and energy weapon impacts, bladed weapons, blunt trauma, and concussion. An integrated polarized visor protects the user's eyes from the ordinary battlefield hazards of grit and dust, but also laser blindness and fragments. It is similar in appearance to the helmet used with the combat armor, reinforced suit but is a different color. Helmets also incorporate a combination camera/laser rangefinder unit built into the helmet's right side, just above the ear. Those suits of combat armor surviving in the wasteland still have the housing for that equipment, but no suit has been documented as having working hardware.
While being even more expensive than reinforced combat armor, it provides more protection than standard combat armor. 20 DT as opposed to 15 DT for standard combat armor or 17 DT for reinforced combat armor.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Camp McCarran - can be bought from Daniel Contreras.
- Gun Runners - the armor can be purchased from the Vendortron.
- Hidden Valley bunker - can be bought from Torres.
- Mercenary camp - one can be found on the mercenary holding the YCS/186 Gauss rifle, north of Horowitz Farmstead. He may, however, have the Mark 1 reinforced armor instead. (non-Wild Wasteland only)
- Remnants Bunker - two can be found in an armor locker.
- The armor can be found in a duffle bag at an abandoned campsite east of Ranger Station Foxtrot and west of Brewer's beer bootlegging. Players should be armed to deal with the cazadors that usually swarm the campsite. Follow the trail up to and past Brewer's beer bootlegging into the hills behind the Brewer's Bootlegging shack. The campsite is located between Brewer's and Foxtrot, and is identified by bones strewn about and by a corpse sliced in half. The duffle bag is laying next to a rock pile.
- Crimson Caravan - can be bought from Blake.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If the armor is equipped and another one of the same kind is purchased from Contreras, it will not appear in the inventory. However, if the armor is removed from the player's inventory and another one is bought, it appears to be in perfect condition regardless of what condition it was while Contreras had it.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- The Army helmet is presented in the game as an older type of helmet, issued to uniformed troops who do not use the standard set of combat armor: Clearly visible in the tutorial segment and later on countless dead bodies throughout the Commonwealth.
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Fallout 2 Official Strategies & Secrets p. 65: "Combat Armor is prewar personal body armor. Combat Armor Mk. 2 was designed as a heavier set of personal armor, reserved for use by shock troops and Special Forces."
"Brotherhood Combat Armor, manufactured by the Brotherhood of Steel, looks like normal Combat Armor, but is made of substantially improved materials and is designed better. In addition to its other protective features, Combat Armor gives the wearer a 20% bonus to their Radiation Resistance."