Z2-47, a top grade Courser
|There are eight distinct Courser grades in the game's files, scaling up with the player. The Coursers start at level 15 and upgrade at levels 21, 28, 36, 44, 52, 60, and then scale at a 1:1 rate with the player.|
Coursers are Institute synths, designed for one purpose. They're hunters. Operations go wrong, a synth goes missing, and a Courser is dispatched. They're very good at what they do, and you're going to have to kill one.”— Brian Virgil telling the Sole Survivor's future
The primary instrument of the SRB is the Courser, a third-generation synth assigned to operate on the surface. Coursers hunt down and reclaim synths that have escaped the Institute. They are highly self-sufficient, trained in combat, infiltration and tracking. In a word, Coursers are relentless.
Coursers are drawn from the third generation synth population, constantly monitored for tenacity, fearlessness, and independence. When synths are identified with these traits, the basic necessary skills are transferred into their minds. Stealth, espionage, combat training as well as survival and repair skills. They then undergo a rigorous training regimen. Where they further hone these new abilities to even higher levels. Everything from armed and unarmed combat, investigative techniques, psychology and even mechanical skills must be perfected. Those who pass a final evaluation become Coursers, re-registered as X (eg. X6-88) or Z (eg. Z2-47) synths, and receive final upgrades: Subdermal armor implants increasing their resilience in combat, roughly equivalent to a full suit of light combat armor, and their cranial synth implant is upgraded with acourser chip to relay them into and out of the Institute.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Coursers are encountered in the following quests
Synth relay grenade
Drops on death
|No additional items|
Coursers appear only in Fallout 4.
- Justin Ayo: "So, here you are. Justin Ayo, acting director of the Synth Retention Bureau. I'll be up front with you. We're going to be keeping a close eye on you for the near future. Despite your relation to Father, you're a bit of an unknown quantity. I'm sure you understand. There won't be any... issues, will there?"
The Sole Survivor: "So basically, you're the secret police."
Justin Ayo: "Secret police? If that's a pre-war reference, then I'm afraid it's lost on me. Our main instrument is the Courser, a third-generation synth assigned to operate on the surface. Coursers hunt down and reclaim synths that have escaped the Institute. They are highly self-sufficient, trained in combat, infiltration and tracking. In a word, our Coursers are relentless. But I gather you know all of this, since you've encountered one already. In fact, I'd very much like to know how you defeated it."
(Justin Ayo's dialogue)
- All coursers have innate Ballistic and Energy resistance
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "Inside every synth Courser is a specialized chip that is instrumental in "relaying" into the Institute. Obtaining that chip is the first step in infiltrating the shadowy organization."
- Brian Virgil: "Every Courser has special hardware that gives them a direct connection to the Relay in the Institute. It's embedded in a chip in their heads. You need that chip. But to get it, you'll have to find a Courser."
- The Sole Survivor: "You mentioned that Coursers undergo special training. Tell me more about it."
Justin Ayo: "The SRB constantly monitors our gen-3 synth population, looking for specific traits. Those who show tenacity, fearlessness and independence undergo a rigorous training regimen. We teach them armed and unarmed combat, investigative techniques, psychology and mechanical skills. Those who pass a final evaluation become Coursers. The rest have their memories wiped and return to their former duties."
(Justin Ayo's dialogue)