This article or its infobox is missing an image. Please help The Vault by uploading it.
Covenant is a safe place. Whatever bad happened to you in the past won't happen here. But we've all got a job to do. We need word-of-mouth to spread so eventually dozens of people a week come through here.”
Background[edit | edit source]
The origins of Covenant are tied closely to Roslyn Chambers and the Broken Mask Incident in 2229. After losing her parents to the rogue synth infiltrator sent to Diamond City, Chambers became determined to create a way to identify synths among the general population. For decades, she labored to create a reliable test and nearly sixty years later, she believes she is close to creating one. The Covenant settlement is the culmination of her research, a prosperous community that's designed to attract dozens of visitors each week, so that Chambers can have a large enough sample to determine the efficacy of the SAFE test. As the Covenant is staffed by survivors of Institute attacks sworn to secrecy and believing in Chambers' vision, the project seems destined for success.
Every visitor to Covenant is given a psychological evaluation - the SAFE test - before being admitted into the shelter. Trouble is, the SAFE test is actually a barely modified Generalized Occupational Aptitude Test, and this travesty of psychological testing is used to identify potential synths. People suspected of being one are abducted to the compound, where they are forced to answer the questions in a controlled setting and tortured if they refuse. The torture continues if they try to avoid answering the questions, all in an effort to perfect the detection method. Failures are actually encouraged as necessary sacrifices. All interrogations inevitably end up on the dissection table, where Chambers verifies whether their victim was synth or not by opening the brain. What's even more ironic is the fact that the Institute is fully aware of the Covenant's true purpose, and don't even considering it enough of a threat to intervene in any way.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Human Error: The Covenant initiative features in the quest. Dealing with them one way or another unlocks Covenant as a settlement for the player to use.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Covenant appears only in Fallout 4.
- Covenant reminder
- Subject 12 baseline
- Subject 12 testing
- Subject 12 debrief
- X6-88: "This is the place with the so-called synth detector test. That's almost funny."
(X6-88's dialogue) Note: This line is spoke at the Covenant gate exterior. It is also one of the few times X6-88 is Amused.
- Covenant terminals; Public Terminal, > Welcome
- Covenant terminals; Public Terminal, > Covenant History
- Covenant terminals; Public Terminal, > SAFE Test
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Fitzgerald, B.
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Fitzgerald, P.
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Huntley, T.
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > McGovern, T.
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Montgomery, P.
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Swanson
- Covenant terminals; Office Terminal, > Fishermen report (Draft)