Coyote Tail ridge
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Coyote Tail ridge
Background[edit | edit source]
This is the specific location among the foothills where 1st Recon was ordered to create a defensive line of fire from Khans attempting a breakout of the encampment once the attack started. Unbeknownst to NCR intelligence Bitter Springs was actually the Khans home base. Those that were fleeing – through the only other entrance of the settlement; known as Canyon 37 – the fighting were actually non-combatants. Through miscommunication command ordered 1st Recon to fire until they were out of ammunition. As a result this military operation became known as the Bitter Springs massacre. It scared not only all those involved, but also the reputation of the NCR; whom had moderate success in whitewashing the entire debacle.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Coyote Tail Ridge is just a rock. If you follow the northeast trail, you will come to a sign on the left that says "BITTER SPRINGS", and under it is a picture of the NCR bear. Further up a bit to both sides, a dozen graves in two rows can be looted.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
With a shovel, each grave may be robbed for various types of ammunition, caps, and chems.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If discovered before Bitter Springs (or if approached from the north), this location evokes from Boone the comment, "Christ. They put the graveyard here" which reflects "flavor text" involvement in the I Forgot To Remember To Forget quest. It neither advances nor affects the quest until the player has led Boone to Bitter Springs.
- After visiting Bitter Springs, Boone requests the Courier to remain at the site overnight. This advances the I Forgot to Remember to Forget quest.
- Cazadores have a nest near this location and may detect and attack the player.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Coyote Tail ridge appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.363: "[3.15] Coyote Tail Ridge
These foothills were a good, defensible position for the First Recon Snipers during their massacre of the Great Khans. Boone tells you more about this past atrocity during his Side Quest. Other than a few scatted plants, this is simply a thoroughfare to Bitter Springs."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)
- The Courier: "What happened?"
Craig Boone: "Main force got spotted too soon. We heard shooting. Then Khans started coming through Canyon 37 in bunches. It was all wrong, though. Women, kids, elderly. Wounded started coming through, too. We radioed to confirm our orders but command didn't get what we were seeing. They told us to shoot till we were out of ammo. So that's what we did."
(Craig Boone's dialogue)
- Bitter Springs massacre