Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Crescent Canyon is a location in Fallout: New Vegas, marking the southern boundary of the playable area.
Background[edit | edit source]
A wonder of nature that emerged in the Mojave somewhere after the Divergence, the Crescent Canyon became an almost impassable obstacle on the edge of the Mojave National Preserve. The tunnels through the New York Mountains and a solitary rail bridge over the canyon were the only means of direct passage. The remote location of the canyon made it perfect for disposal of vehicles and radioactive waste, which cover the floor of the canyon, providing a particularly potent breeding ground for golden geckos.
Layout[edit | edit source]
This vast canyon marks the edge of the Mojave Wasteland, filled with junked vehicles and radiation barrels. It spans the width of the desert between the New York Mountains in the east and the Ivanpah Mountains in the west, with two travel markers at both ends of the canyon. The floor is littered with radioactive waste and ruined vehicles, with a scarce amount of loot to be found. Rad-X is typically enough to travel it safely, unless the player insists on hugging the radioactive barrels.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- The canyon contains a bit of loot. From the west to east, these include:
- A hollowed-out rock near the car.
- An advanced radiation suit in a radiation suit case near the ruined trailer truck.
- First aid box and an armor case near the two crashed cars. Note, the armor case may randomly spawn empty.
- A second hollowed-out rock at the eastern end of the canyon.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Radioactive tumbleweeds were supposed to be found here.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Care should be taken when jumping around the rocks and vehicles, as it's possible to fall through level geometry.
- Legate's camp. It's possible to get outside the bounds of the game area by moving up the rocks on the southern edge of the canyon near the western travel marker, facing towards the south-east. There's a missing invisible wall here, allowing the player to reach normally inaccessible areas of the map, like the
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Crescent Canyon appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.393: "[4.32] Crescent Canyon West
[4.33] Crescent Canyon East
The giant crescent canyon is a wonder of nature, and now a breeding ground for Golden Geckos. At the very southern edge of the Ivanpah Dry Lake [4.34], the western edge is close to an unmarked Radscorpion Burrow [4.S26]. Descend heading south, moving from west to east, and after the initial Gecko encounter, check the fallen vehicle for a Hollowed-Out Rock and Lottery Ticket. Progress further into the canyon, and the floor becomes wet with oozing radiation, and masses of strewn barrels. Even the tumbleweed is radioactive."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)