The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
You are new! And you are welcome! I am Croatoa. I am not so new.”
Croatoa is a simple gardener who likely lost much of his intellect and maturity when he was initiated into the tribe. He believes in reaching higher planes of existence through the power of punga, using patient gardening practices as a method of meditation. He admits that both he and plants are simple, "but simple is not the same as stupid."
He can be found wandering inside the outer walls of the Ark & Dove Cathedral, oftentimes tending to the punga.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
Effects of player actions
- Croatoa will not become hostile like the unnamed tribals at the cathedral if you side with Desmond during Thought Control, but will still attack if he sees you attack any other tribals.
- If you have the Child at Heart perk or pass an easy speech check, you can get the fertilizer shovel from him.
|5x refined punga fruit|
Drops on death
* Only if you get the fertilizer shovel from him.
- "We dream. Dream of a better world, not falling apart like ours. And when we find a dream that makes us forget this world, we dream that we do not have to wake up."
- "Punga grows strong. I help Punga grow stronger. Punga understands me. I understand Punga. That is all it needs to be."
- "Learn from the Punga. Accept simplicity."
- "Embrace the simple things in life."
- "Look to Jackson. He is the one who knows. But do not strain to see him here. Jackson is away."
Behind the scenes
- His name is likely a reference to a colony on Roanoke Island that seemingly vanished in 1590, leaving only the word 'Croatoan' carved into a tree.
- The Lone Wanderer: "[Child at Heart] I love digging in the dirt, but I never can get anything to grow right."
Croatoa: "It feels good to work with dirt, doesn't it? Some people call it work, but they don't understand. Take my shovel. It has seen much use, and much dirt. Maybe it will help you? But be careful not to cut yourself with it. It can make you sick."
- The Lone Wanderer: "How do you get so much Punga Fruit to grow here?"
Jimson: "Tell the truth, I got no idea. Ground's probably pretty fertile here, on account of the graveyard. Plus, we got lots of people tending the gardens. Guy's got a knack for plants. Makes sense - mentally, they're on the same level."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.67: "Croatoa
This rather simple man has a specially modified Shovel he doesn't just give out to anybody. Croatoa believes in reaching higher planes of existence through the power of Punga."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- The Lone Wanderer: "Do you have some secret farming trick?"
Croatoa: "Patience, friend. Only patience."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Guess you and plants think alike, huh?"
Croatoa: "Maybe. We are both simple. But simple is not the same as stupid."