Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Fallout 3 locations project
The largest room in both areas containing frozen super mutants
The cryo lab is a location on board Mothership Zeta.
Background[edit | edit source]
Its purpose is mainly to store frozen humans, super mutants, and feral ghouls. The facility houses 694 cyrogenic stasis chambers on the surface level and an untold number deeper within the ship. This allows aliens to have a wide array of test subjects at the tips of their suction cupped fingers upon which to run experiments.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Cryo lab[edit | edit source]
On the lower level by the entrance, there is a small room containing a healing archway, three containers and various loot. The teleporter to the far right is used as an exit after the destruction of the generator.
In the middle of the map is a large room full of cryo-pods, aliens and an alien turret. The player can defrost all of these at once by pushing the button on the console below the window facing the area. This results in an AI battle between ghouls, raiders and aliens. Generally the turret is the only one left alive after the skirmish. On the bottom level is a cornucopia of Capital Wasteland items.
In the following area, aliens can be viewed in a sealed room examining the bodies of three humans who Elliot Tercorien, if he is with you, will recognize as his squad members. An enraged Elliot will activate a nearby switch freezing all those in the examination chamber, killing the aliens and opening the chamber doors. Within this room Elliot will gather some cryogenic material with which he later creates cryo grenades and mines for the player. In the adjoining room, Elliot contemplates what to do when he discovers two more squad mates still held in cryogenic suspension. With the player's input the squad mates can either be temporarily revived, euthanized or, on passing a speech check, merely left where they are. The squad mates will be hostile (to each other as well) if the player attempts to revive them before Elliot has restored their memories. If properly revived, they will fight alongside the player and Elliot during the first few minutes of the cryo-Storage zone before expiring.
If the player did not opt to bring Elliot along then the examination chamber can by opened by activating the same freezing control switch, however the dead humans will appear as wastelanders instead of Elliot's squad-mates. Furthermore, there will be no opportunity to gather cryogenic material and the two cryogenic suspension containers in the adjoining room will be empty.
Cryo storage[edit | edit source]
This area is primarily a large two-level chamber with a generator situated in a passageway at the northern end. Upon entering there will be passageways to your left and right, each with a healing archway. The player can take either route as they both lead to the upper level of the same large chamber containing a number of hostile aliens.
The chamber's upper level has stations with blue tubes containing cryogenic pods. Pushing one of the nearby switches sends a pod upwards and raises another from below while releasing a cloud of vapor that momentarily freezes anything nearby. Other switches mounted along the nearby railings deactivate large cryogenic suspension pods on the lower level, each reviving some form of super mutant (dependent on player's current level).
In the room to the north, past twisting hallways, will be the generator and a teleportation matrix to get out of the room once you've destroyed the generators. The teleporter will take you back to the very first room before actually entering the main part of the cryo lab containing the generator.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- A number of rarely-encountered items, including gum drops and a Red Racer jumpsuit.
- 2 suits of winterized medic armor and 2 winterized medic helmets, worn by Daniels and Beckett.
- A Chinese commando hat. Look for a room with the option to 'rig the controller to explode' on the panel outside. It's on a stack of boxes beside a motorcycle helmet and an intact garden gnome.
- There are a total of six Alien captive recorded logs to be collected in these zones; four in the cryo lab and two in cryo storage.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Momentarily incapacitating Elliot Tercorien by activating a freezing station on the upper level of cryo storage while he is within its range allows the player to briefly access and manipulate his inventory without incurring bad karma. However, doing so while standing upright instead of crouched may cause the game to crash.
- This is one of many areas of the ship that will not be accessible after the player has completed This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough....
- In the cryo lab, there are two doors leading to cryo storage which "require a key". The first time you are there you can press a button to freeze the aliens in the next room, and the doors will open. If you return here later on this will not work, so you can not get past the doors. This means you should get all alien captive recordings before you leave on your first visit. If you don't you have to use the teleporter in the cryo lab and backtrack through the cryo storage to get them.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Elliot Tercorien after being momentarily frozen, may result in a game freeze if this is done standing upright. The game does not freeze when crouched. Looting a frozen corpse such as
- Eliot Tercorien, upon meeting his squadmates in cryo-stasis, does not initiate any action at all. This can sometimes be resolved by talking to him - he will start the scripted sequence but may keep stopping until you talk to him again.
- Don't enter the cryo labs without Elliot, or he will refuse to join you. If you don't take Elliot with you to the cryo labs, the two squadmates at the end are not there, with no chance of looting their gear.
- In the lower level of the room full of stasis pods (raiders, etc.) in the southeast corner is a set of clothing (type unknown) which can't be picked up, despite using camera (L2, 3rd person) tricks. Same goes for another set of clothing on the north wall.
- There is a serious bug that may occur in this area: after destroying the generator in the final room and teleporting back to the entrance, the door to the engineering core will still be locked, stating that you require a key. Restarting the console does not help, and you will be stuck in the cryo lab permanently. It is strongly advised that you make a save before entering the cryo lab and do not overwrite it until you exit.