Dave (Fallout 3)
Communist! He's a communist! Everybody come quick!”— Dave's reaction to the Lone Wanderer's challenge against the Great Republic.
Dave was born in 2230. After being exiled from the family farmstead (then known as the Kingdom of Tom under the leadership of his father, Tom), Dave made a living operating as a mercenary in and around the Capital Wasteland, and took part in an ill-fated expedition to Fort Constantine along with a handful of other mercenaries on behalf of Allistair Tenpenny. He eventually returned to the Kingdom of Tom and made a coup d'état, renaming it the "Republic of Dave" and giving the citizens the "freedom of democracy" in the form of an annual election, in contrast to the dictatorship of Tom.
Dave re-wrote the Marital laws shortly after seizing control, in order to get himself a second wife (the excuse to his first wife was that "he needed to populate the land of Dave so they could grow and soon own all of the Capital Wasteland").
Dave's activities consist of staying in his office and very rarely going outside of the main building in the Republic of Dave.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head: Dave is in possession of one of the keys Crowley desires.
- Election Day: Dave asks you to gather the republic's citizens for the upcoming election for a small reward. You can vote for Dave (after paying the 250 caps immigration fee), or encourage his first wife Rosie or his son Bob to run against him. You can also tamper with the ballot box to make it possible for someone other than Dave to win (one way is to become hidden, then wait behind the currently locked box until he shows up. He will announce he is checking the final vote count; as soon as you see the lid open, access the box and remove all the votes with his name on them).
- How the Lone Wanderer greets Dave in their first meeting plays a large role in how Dave will interact with the Lone Wanderer. If greeted with the Wasteland Ambassador route, it will give him a false sense that the Republic is being recognized as sovereign, and he will interact fairly well. If you request asylum, you will receive a neutral interaction from him from there on out. If you tell Dave that his Republic is forfeit, Dave and all the other inhabitants of the Republic will become hostile.
Effects of player actions
If Dave loses the election, he will leave the Republic forever and retreat to Old Olney, which he will declare the New Republic of Dave. Thereafter he will be found sitting in the gore-strewn alleyway just a few feet from the fast-travel arrival location. Speaking to him repeatedly afterward will result in him turning hostile. Dave will more than likely be killed by deathclaws in Old Olney, as his chosen waiting location is within sight of at least two deathclaws' regular patrol routes.
Additionally, once Dave leaves the immediate area surrounding the Republic of Dave, he can be killed without the other inhabitants of the Republic becoming hostile. Despite this, some will still act as if Dave has been killed, but in a way that is not hostile. For example, Jessica says "Dave is dead. How can we have an election with no president?"
|Merc adventurer outfit|
|Chinese assault rifle|
|Dave's special key|
Drops on death
- Dave's safe contains Ol' Painless.
- At night Dave can be heard talking in his sleep about killing all ghouls. (Althrough both Crowley and Quinn state during the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head that Dave is actually not a ghoul hater) though this may be about feral ghouls and the horror of them.
- If the Lone Wanderer chooses the dialogue, "Your Republic is forfeit. Prepare to be reclaimed by the Wasteland!" Dave will shout, "Communist! He's a communist! Everybody come quick!", turning the Republic hostile.
Dave appears only in Fallout 3.
- You Gotta Shoot 'em in the Head, you have to kill or convince Dave to get his key. If the room is clear, and no one but Dave can see you, you can kill him without anyone noticing. In the quest,
- It is possible to pickpocket Dave's Special Key and then afterwards acquire the key a second time with speech
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.68: "Dave
Supreme Commander and President for Life Dave is the descendant of those who fled to the hills and managed to survive the war. His family has lived here for the last 200 years. His "citizens" are mostly descendants of his own ancestors or others with similar mind-sets. Over the years, Dave's tiny plot of land has been also known as "The Kingdom of Larry," "The Republic of Stevie-Ray," "Billyslvania," "The New Republic of Stevie-Ray," and most recently "The Nation of Tom" after Dave's father. Dave (now 47 years old) strongly believes that his land is a functioning nation and considers the compound his sovereign territory. He was briefly banished from this place during his father's presidency, and he did some work with Allistair Tenpenny. Dave hates Tenpenny and people like him and doesn't want to be reminded of the past."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)