Debt Collector is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The Garret twins at the Atomic Wrangler Casino have a few debts owed to them and they want them now.
- Talk to Francine Garret at the Atomic Wrangler.
- Gather the debts from Grecks, Santiago and Lady Jane.
- Grecks is located behind the Old Mormon Fort; he will pay his debt after a simply asking (or threatening) him, or by punching him the face (through dialogue).
- Santiago is in the ruined building opposite Mick & Ralph's; revealing that he has a bounty on his head, or punching him in the face through dialogue will force him to pay his debts. If Wang Dang Atomic Tango is active, he can alternatively be convinced to work off his debts.
- Lady Jane is in front of The Strip North Gate; she can be convinced to pay her debts with a Speech or Barter check of 40, the Lady Killer perk or a Perception of 7. Alternatively, the caps go pay her debt can be found on her caravan brahmin in Broc Flower Cave.
- Give the debt money to Francine.
- Kill Caleb McCaffery in front of Gomorrah on the Strip and take his hat as proof.
- Alternatively, he can be convinced to hand over his hat and debt money with a Speech check of 40.
- Return to Francine.
|1|| ||Collect 138 caps from Grecks in Freeside.|
|2|| ||Collect 212 caps from Santiago in Freeside.|
|3|| ||Collect 250 caps from Lady Jane.|
|4|| ||(Optional) Find Lady Jane's caravan and collect caps from the remains.|
|5|| ||Kill Caleb McCaffery.|
|6||Return to Francine with McCaffery's hat.|
- Wang Dang Atomic Tango has already been completed and Santiago was hired as the suave talker, there is a possible bug that you will not be able to talk to Santiago to collect the caps. It is still possible to complete the quest by pickpocketing the bag of bottle caps off of him.
If the quest
If choosing to obtain Caleb McCaffrey's hat peacefully through a speech check, putting on his hat afterwards causes the game to freeze.
If Caleb McCaffrey is the first bounty you get and complete by passing a speech check, returning to Francine Garret will complete the mission without having to find Grecks and Lady Jane. If you go after Caleb McCaffery before Lady Jane, you complete the quest. However, his room does not become yours, despite Francine awarding it to you, all items in it are still 'owned' by someone else and you cannot sleep in the bed.
It's possible to turn in the quest with Francine before it's finished and thereby adding Caleb McCaffrey to the existing quest line but at the same time making it impossible to talk to Lady Jane.
Upon completing this quest and killing McCaffery, any attempts on re-entering the Strip will result in a black screen crash and the autosave corrupting (some users have reported The Strip door also requiring a key).
- To fix the black screen crash, wear the Old cowboy hat (or even Caleb McCaffery's hat) that you can find at Blake's shop in the Crimson Caravan Company (it's near a bunch of first aid boxes). Wearing it before entering The Strip from Freeside will stop the game from crashing. The key-requirement for The Strip gate can easily be solved by taking the NCR monorail in Camp McCarran to the Strip, and then opening the gate from the inside. If you cannot use the monorail, stealthily kill one of the Securitron guards near the gate and loot the key from its corpse.
- To avoid the black screen crash, try not to decapitate Caleb; if McCaffery's body is intact when you remove the hat and other items from it, the visual of the hat disappears from the corpse. It is unclear why this was occurring but when his head separated from the rest of the corpse, the image of the hat on McCaffery's head remained even when his corpse was looted, causing the bug above.
Following closure of the dialogue when asked to kill McCaffery, he may be involved in a firefight inside the Atomic Wrangler. He will appear friendly in V.A.T.S. and be fighting with Wrangler staff. You can kill him here and get the reward before entering the Strip.
The player may be unable to ever open dialogue with Lady Jane (attempting to simply triggered a passive statement about ED-E). Repeated attempts caused her to repeat the statement. This can be very problematic and render the quest unable to be completed without killing or pickpocketing her.
- quest item.
In some cases, if you kill Caleb McCaffrey before you start this quest, you will not be able to complete it or if you pick up McCaffrey's hat, you won't be able to drop it, as it will still be marked as a
- When asked to kill McCaffery, there's a possible bug where you will be unable to select any dialogue options. (Pressing start when this happens will fix it).
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|