Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Welcome to Megaton. The bomb is perfectly safe. We promise.”— Deputy Weld, Fallout 3.
Background[edit | edit source]
While guarding the entrance to Megaton, Deputy Weld offers travelers some information about Megaton. This information includes local services, reminders of the law, and reassurances that the atomic bomb in the town center is completely safe.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character has no special interactions.|
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
- Deputy Steel will replace Deputy Weld if it is destroyed (unless Broken Steel is installed).
- If the Lone Wanderer decides to destroy Megaton, Deputy Weld's faceplate will survive the atomic explosion and continue to welcome people to Megaton, albeit in a garbled manner, and state that the bomb is safe. The faceplate can be dragged around.
- Deputy Weld can be deactivated by hacking a computer terminal in in the Megaton armory. A skill of 75 is required to hack it, and the Lone Wanderer can also deactivate Deputy Steel. If the Lone Wanderer uses the Robotics Expert perk to sneak-deactivate him, he still says his phrases and later on in the game will return to normal.
- Deputy Weld will respawn after a while if he is killed.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Protectron laser pistol|
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Welcome to Megaton. The bomb is perfectly safe. We promise."
- "Welcome to Megaton. Friendliest town around."
- "Have yourself a nice visit, partner."
- "Ya’ll be careful with that thar weapon, ya hear?"
- "Thirsty partner? Try Moriarty's. Coldest drinks in the Capital Wasteland."
- "Need some grub? Try the Brass Lantern."
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If Deputy Weld is killed in the firefight between Megaton settlers and the Brotherhood of Steel soldiers accompanying the water caravan, he may later be found wandering the wastes in the vicinity of Megaton, still saying "Welcome to Megaton."
- Even when you have not Blown up Megaton Deputy Weld could be found dead yet later found back out the front of Megaton.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Deputy Weld appears only in Fallout 3.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.68: "Deputy Weld
A RobCo Industries Protectron robot that guards the entrance to Megaton, Weld talks like a 50s robot but probably has some cowboy lingo programmed into him. He stays at the front gate and offers any traveler some platitudes."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)