The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
What is your major malfunction, maggot?”— Deputy Steel, Fallout 3.
Deputy Steel is a Mister Gutsy military combat drone that guards the armory of Megaton in Fallout 3.
Deputy Steel is owned by Lucas Simms and apparently maintained by both Lucas and Harden Simms.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
- If the Lone Wanderer has a Science skill of 75 or more, they can deactivate Deputy Steel using the computer terminal in the armory to avoid wasting ammunition or getting hurt. If a Stealth Boy is used before entering, the Lone Wander might sneak over to the terminal undetected to deactivate Deputy Steel then loot the place without any conflict.
- The Robotics Expert perk is very useful if you don't want to fight.
Effects of player actions
- When Broken Steel is installed, if Deputy Weld, Megaton's protectron guard, is destroyed, Deputy Steel will assume Deputy Weld's post instead. In the Game of the Year edition this is not the case, if Deputy Weld is destroyed, Deputy Steel will still stay in the Armory. Deputy Steel will also show up if the player attacks Deputy Weld.
- If the player enters the armory in Megaton, he will become hostile.
Gutsy's plasma pistol
Drops on death
- Lucas Simms mentions Deputy Steel to Harden Simms (his son), saying something along the lines of "I noticed Deputy Steel was extra shiny today, you polished him up, didn't ya boy?"
Deputy Steel appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- When he dies, the phrase "I regret I have but one life to give to my country" is a reference to the Revolutionary War hero Nathan Hale, who said the same thing before he was hanged by the British.
- Some times when you attack him he says "What is your major malfunction, maggot?", which is a reference to the 1987 movie Full Metal Jacket. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman says this right before he is shot by Pvt. Lawrence ("Pyle").
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.68: "Deputy Steel
This RobCo Industry's Mister Gutsy robot has been reprogrammed to serve as an assistant to Sheriff Simms. Truth is, Simms is a fan of the Wild West (his dad used to read him stories when he was a kid). He took on the title of sheriff and named the robot his deputy mostly to live out his childhood fantasies."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)