I was thinking I might set this bunker up as a safehouse. Between the remote location and the dust storms, I figured it was ideal. Course, seems a lot less remote since you showed up.”
Background[edit | edit source]
A Redding native, Dobson has seen plenty of action against slavers in his Ranger career. As of 2281, he is stationed at Camp McCarran, but has recently gone off on his own to assess and scout out the NCR Correctional Facility that was lost to the Powder Gangers. He set up shop in a Hidden Valley bunker, intending to use it as a safehouse. His main target has been the terrorist Samuel Cooke and his gang of roamers which he considers to be the most dangerous out of any other Powder Gangers. Though he's after Cooke's gang, he considers all Powder Gangers the lowest of the low for preying on caravans and civilians, and will shoot any Powder Ganger on sight that he finds.
His stay at the bunker has been fairly problematic, as Dobson has had trouble bringing his radio to broadcast properly. However, the area's "natural phenomena" sandstorms and the bunker's remote location still make it worth the hassle, as keep him relatively safe from any predators or troublemakers topside... At least that's what Dobson thinks.
Dobson is a confident individual and takes pride in his work protecting the innocent of the Mojave wasteland, but like any good Ranger; he isn't headstrong and knows his limits. Other than the love of his job, Dobson loves to josh around with anyone he can, even if they're a complete stranger. He's even been known to do so over the radio to HQ at McCarran, which has made the radio operators take his reports less seriously. Although he shows he kindly side more, Dobson will become deadly serious when he suspects he's in danger or being played. However, if the perpetrator admits to their wrongdoing, Dobson is willing to forgive them in the moment. That is until he sees them again at least.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
The Brotherhood of Steel Elder wants the Ranger out of the bunker however the Courier can manage.
Effects of the player's actions[edit | edit source]
- Low NCR reputation precludes talking with Dobson.
- Breaking the radio while Dobson is present will invite retaliation. Breaking it while he is away will drive him away successfully, but he will booby trap the entire bunker, leaving behind a farewell note.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|NCR Ranger patrol armor|
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "[Who are you?] Dobson's my name. I'm an NCR Ranger, operating out of Camp McCarran north of here. Redding man by birth, though."
- "[What are you doing here?] Well, I was thinking I might set this bunker up as a safehouse. Between the remote location and the dust storms, I figured it was ideal. Course, seems a lot less remote since you showed up. Plus I haven't been able to get my radio working, and a safehouse's no good without one. I reckon I'll stick around awhile, patrol for troublemakers, see if I can get that radio working."
- "[Don't point! It's rude! Especially with guns!] [FAILED] I'll point my rifle at anything and anyone I please to! Got that, powder ganger?"
- "[Well, criminals come through here. And the storms, they're bad. Right?] [FAILED] See now, thing is, I fancy myself a bit of a tracker. And I don't see much in the way of tracks 'round here. Could say that's on account of the dust storms. But if there were criminals using these bunkers as hideouts, I'd know."
- "[Not sure. Just feels bad.] I see. Well, I'll take that under advisement."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Dobson appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- According to HVRangerRadioScript, it was possible to fix the snooping NCR Ranger's radio at some point. It's unclear what purpose this would achieve, but the script even notes this outcome was cut from the game. There are also cut dialogue topics for this e.g. VDialogueHiddenValleyHVRangerTopic005 ("You might want to know that I fixed your radio earlier."), but the reply dialogue has been removed. There's also a cut topic where you can tell him about the Brotherhood of Steel base that was later rewritten as a new topic.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Dobson may spawn outside the bunker.
- The Courier: "Who are you?"
Dobson: "Dobson's my name. I'm an NCR Ranger, operating out of Camp McCarran north of here. Redding man by birth, though."
The Courier: "What are you doing here?"
Dobson: "Well, I was thinking I might set this bunker up as a safehouse. Between the remote location and the dust storms, I figured it was ideal. Course, seems a lot less remote since you showed up. Plus I haven't been able to get my radio working, and a safehouse's no good without one. I reckon I'll stick around awhile, patrol for troublemakers, see if I can get that radio working."
- The Courier: "The Brotherhood of Steel has a base inside one of the bunkers here. They sent me after you."
Dobson: "A Brotherhood base? Here? Are you shitting me? No one's seen them for years. I don't suppose you've got a scrap of evidence to support this wild-eyed claim of yours?"
The Courier: "How about this explosive collar around my neck?"
Dobson: "I'll be. Let me take a look at that. All this is, is a slave collar. Seen plenty of these infernal contraptions in my day, and I know just how to spring 'em. Hold still. There, it's off. Now thing is, a slave collar seems a little too basic for the Brotherhood. That's not to say I don't believe you, bu- did you just hear something?"
- The Courier: "So no one knows you're here?"
Dobson: "Standard practice. Rangers operate on our own most of the time. And that's how we like it. Usually we call in our positions to McCarran to be relayed to other rangers, but I can handle myself. I'm sure as hell not going to lose any sleep on account of a goddamn broken down radio. But it will shorten my stay if I can't fix it."
- The Courier: "This seems like a bad location for a safehouse."
Dobson: "Oh? And in your expert opinion, why would that be?"
The Courier: "<Lie> Powder gangers use these bunkers as hideouts once or twice a month."
Dobson: "[SUCCEEDED] You've seen that with your own two eyes? Goddamn, I knew Cooke's gang passed through these parts 'bout that frequently, but I didn't know they holed up here. Be a rude awakening, to find fifteen of those merciless bastards looking down at me snoozing on my bedroll! Yep, I'd be better off setting up an ambush along one of their routes to catch stragglers. Thanks for the information. You may've saved my life."
- The Courier: "What are Powder Gangers?"
Dobson: "Criminal scum that've infested this region, attacking caravans and regular folk just passing through. The dangerous ones are roamers, though there's another group that mostly stays put, over at the prison southwest of here. So far the brass haven't mustered up enough men to take the prison back. Long overdue if you ask me. But I'm just one man."
- Dobson's journal
- The Courier: "I'm not a powder ganger."
Dobson: "Exactly what powder ganger scum would say! Any last words before I pull this trigger?"
The Courier: "I'm not a powder ganger!"
Dobson: "Relax, son/little lady. Just pulling your leg. What can I do for you?"
- Dobson: "Thought you'd sneak up on me, you filthy powder ganger?"
The Courier: "Keep pointing that gun at me and I'll stick it up your ass."
Dobson: "[SUCCEEDED] Ha! Got some stones on you, son. I like that. What can I do for you?"/
Dobson: "[SUCCEEDED] Ha! Got some claws on you, little lady. I like that. What can I do for you?"
- The Courier: "Nothing, I swear."
Dobson: "Didn't look like nothing to me. Draw! Just kidding. You weren't doing any harm that I could see. So what do you think? Can it be fixed?"
- Dobson: "Okay, so you weren't kidding about there being a Brotherhood base here. I'll need to report back to base about this. They'll think I'm playing a prank if I try to radio it in, so I'll need some face time with the brass. Thanks for the heads up. I mean it. I'll be sure to mention you in my report."
- The Courier: "[Lie] I just fixed it."
Dobson: "[FAILED] The hell you did. I know enough about electronics to know that what you were doing wasn't fixing it. So I'll give you one more chance to tell me what you were doing."
- Dobson: "You mess with a man's radio, and he might take it personal like, you hear?"
- The Courier: "Nothing, I swear."
Dobson: "Okay, but if I find you messing with it again, there'll be hell to pay, you hear me?"
- The Courier: "Actually, I rigged your radio with a bomb."
Dobson: "Well, at least you're man enough to admit it. Now get the hell out of here. If I see you again, it'll be through my rifle's sight."