Dogmeat (simply called Dog before learning his name) is a canine companion found at the Red Rocket truck stop in Fallout 4.
A Commonwealth mutt through-and-through, Dogmeat is an independent hound capable of tracking scents for miles, even days or weeks after the mark has passed through. He doesn't really have an owner, but is always ready to help out people in need. Nick Valentine has worked with Dogmeat several times in the past and owns a dog whistle to call upon him when he needs his tracking skills.
In recent weeks, Dogmeat joined the group of survivors from the Quincy Massacre. He took an instant liking to Mama Murphy, who sent him out to get help in Sanctuary Hills, west of Concord. Dogmeat's canine intelligence helped him home in on the Sole Survivor at the Red Rocket truck stop, joining them. Although a free spirit, Dogmeat chooses his friends and stays with them through thick and thin if the need be. The Survivor is one of those.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
||This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.
||This character is a temporary party member.
||This character is a permanent party member.
||This character is involved in quests.
- Dogmeat helps the player find loot in buildings, alerting them to items found in the area. A separate prompt appears when Dogmeat has found something.
- In combat, Dogmeat has a number of special moves he will automatically use on enemies. He will usually grab humanoid enemies by the arm, immobilizing and preventing them from attacking the player, while granting a bonus to accuracy in VATS.
- Dogmeat doesn't count as companion towards trying to achieve the Lone Wanderer perk.
- Dogmeat can equip all manner of dog equipment, including armor, muzzles, and several pieces of human apparel, such as goggles or bandanas.
- In settlements, Dogmeat will use any dog kennels built for him by the player. He also has unique interactions with a number of inventory items. Teddy bears beware!
- The model, animations and sounds of Dogmeat are based on River, a female German shepherd that belongs to Joel Burgess, Fallout 4's lead designer.
Dogmeat appearing in a Far Harbor concept image
Dogmeat appears only in Fallout 4.
- ↑ Sole Survivor: "What? The great clockwork dick is stumped?"
Nick Valentine: "It's synth detective, jackass. If you're gonna be that way, you might as well get the make and model right. Joking aside, what about Dogmeat? A Commonwealth mutt like him can track a man's scent for miles..."
- ↑ Sole Survivor: " Dogmeat, huh?"
Nick Valentine: "Hell of an animal. Doesn't really have an owner, but he's always ready to help out when he's needed. Go ahead. Let him sniff that cigar. See if he can find our man."
- ↑ Nick Valentine: "Well, unless you got a map to Kellogg in your pocket, this is the best we got. I'm gonna send the signal to have my associate meet us here.. You won't be able to hear it, but trust me, he'll know."
- ↑ Mama Murphy: "You're not what I expected Dogmeat would find in that little neighborhood. But oh, so much better."
- ↑ Mama Murphy: "He led you to us cause he knew we needed your help. Dogmeat's thoughtful like that. And now he's gonna stick by you. I saw it."
- ↑ Mama Murphy: "Oh he ain't my dog. No sir. Dogmeat, he's what you'd call his own man. You can't own a free spirit like that. But he chooses his friends, and sticks with 'em. He'll stay by you now. I saw it."
- ↑ Mama Murphy: "Oh, indeed. Dogmeat's good at finding folks who need him, and he'll stick by you now. I saw it."