Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Once a camp of the Twisted Hairs, Dry Wells was taken over when Vulpes Inculta (and Caesar, by proxy) betrayed the Twisted Hairs and assimilated them into Caesar's Legion. Ulysses reluctantly became a legionnaire after this event.
Dry Wells consists of several burned tents scattered about the area, along with numerous ammunition boxes and weapons crates. The area stretches along a road that hugs an irradiated stretch of the river, ending in a massively irradiated, large crater. Attempting to enter the crater will cause the Courier to die instantly. The entire camp is filled with irradiated legionaries and irradiated legion explorers, along with their centurion Gaius Magnus.
- Centurion helmet - Worn by Gaius Magnus.
- Armor of the 87th Tribe - Worn by Gaius Magnus.
- Red Victory grenade rifle - In a gun case inside a burned tent on a cliff overlooking the western side of camp.
- "Missing" Shipment - Found in the gun case along with the Red Victory grenade rifle.
- Fat Man and mini nukes - In a high-tech gun case beside cliff in a burned house with a small ammunition cache.
- Anti-materiel rifle, displacer glove or Gatling laser in high tech gun cases
- Unlike every other location introduced through add-ons, companions can travel to Dry Wells and the Long 15 with the player. This is due to Dry Wells being in the Mojave, rather than an entirely new area (i.e., Big MT, Zion National Park, etc.)
- The Legionaries are coded as marked men. However, rather than being actual Divide ghouls, its much more likely that the marked men race was simply reused to portray people suffering from heavy radiation poisoning and direct wounds of a nuclear detonation.
- Killing any irradiated Legion troops will yield Legion infamy. This makes it difficult to obtain the Armor of the 87th Tribe and remain on good terms with the Legion unless the player completes Lonesome Road before receiving the Mark of Caesar from Vulpes Inculta (or Alerio, should Vulpes be dead) and thus resetting the player's reputation with Caesar's Legion to neutral.
- Dry Wells is actually not located where it is depicted on the pip-boy. If one uses exploits to somehow get to Dry Wells before completing Lonesome Road, and nuking the legion, they will simply end up in the middle of the Colorado River.
- The Courier: "Dry Wells is destroyed - that was your birthplace?"
Ulysses: "No, opposite of that. It's where my tribe was taken. Where another history was put to the blade, lesson taught. It is where we realized Vulpes did not approach us as equals. Where we realized the wolf had come, and we watched our history die. Now it belongs to Legion... and all the death there now belongs to them as well. Not revenge... just the way of things when you own them."