El Rey motel
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Split suggested (Interior and Exterior)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split in multiple parts. Please help The Vault by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
El Rey motel
The El Rey Motel
Background[edit | edit source]
Its location suggests that it catered primarily to travelers to McCarran International Airport before the Great War. Since the New California Republic has moved into the region however, chem addicts have begun to hang out here. Mainly due to the Fiends keeping their distance – unless they are directly harassing – the NCR Army's main base in the region.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The El Rey motel is a motel similar in appearance to the one in Novac. However, it is a great deal more dilapidated, and its inhabitants seem to be mostly destitute chem addicts. Most of the doors to the rooms of the El Rey motel are blocked up by debris and are therefore inaccessible. The exceptions are one room on the bottom floor, which is filled with bark scorpions, and two rooms on the top floor with notable loot (both have Very Easy Locks).
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- The only accessible downstairs door is unlocked, but the player should be aware of the four bark scorpions within. The room is littered with chems and beer; on the table by the bed are a pair of eyeglasses and a note from an unknown moneylender. There is also a duffle bag at the foot of the bed. Past these, a wastelander lies dead on the bathroom floor.
- The first door from the left on the top floor leads to a room with a Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on the first bookshelf on your left as you enter next to a badly-damaged pre-War hat. There is a teddy bear under the bed. Upon entering the room, the player is attacked by a crazed chem addict.
- The 3rd door from the left on the top floor leads to the room of another dead wastelander, this one lying on the floor by the bed, surrounded by doses of Med-X. There is an empty syringe on the bed. A Nuka-Cola Victory can be found here, as well as two teddy bears. Also of note is a random sign for a Super-Duper Mart, which is only found in Fallout 3.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- "El Rey" is also Spanish for "The King".
- The El Rey motel is seen during the intro of Fallout: New Vegas as an NCR Ranger Veteran fires from the New Vegas Strip at a Fiend at the motel with an anti-materiel rifle. The southern wall of the New Vegas Strip is very close to the El Rey motel, making this shot possible.
- In certain folklore El Ray (pronounced the same as El Rey) is used as a mythological safe haven for evil of all kinds.
- The map that comes with the Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide incorrectly shows the El Rey motel as a factory, not a building which it is in-game, on the pip-boy map.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
El Rey motel appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- There is an El Rey Motel in Searchlight, Nevada.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- It's a motel across the street to the international airport.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.309-310: "[2.18] El Ray Motel
Chem addicts hang out here, mainly because they aren't usually hassled by Fiends due to the motel's proximity to Camp McCarran [2.19]. This is also between two access points to the Central Sewer [U2.C]."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)