Orders are to observe the flow and not skip ranks. In this way harmony of intent and cohesion of thought is maintained.”
A Brotherhood Paladin once, McNamara assumed control of the Mojave chapter of the Brotherhood after Father Elijah vanished during the disastrous NCR attack on Helios One. McNamara successfully broke through the NCR's lines and led the surviving members of the Brotherhood to the safety of the Hidden Valley bunker. This act earned him an enormous amount of respect and loyalty from the chapter members, who credit him with saving the chapter from total destruction.
Fearing that the NCR would continue to hunt down the Mojave chapter, McNamara put the Hidden Valley bunker on lockdown, not allowing anyone but small scouting parties to leave, and not allowing any of the BoS who were outside to enter. He still fears the NCR and believes they are still hunting the Brotherhood. However, the NCR is not actively looking for the Brotherhood, entangled in trying to secure the Mojave and prepare for the upcoming Legion assault on Hoover Dam to concern themselves with them. The extended lock down and resulting attrition of the Brotherhood's sphere of influence has caused some members of the Brotherhood to question the Elder's judgment, and Head Paladin Edgar Hardin is looking for a way to usurp him.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Still in the Dark: McNamara will ask the player to do various tasks for the Brotherhood, such as looking for Brotherhood patrols, getting reports from scouts, and helping repair the air filtration system by retrieving different parts from the Mojave's vaults. He can also be overthrown by Head Paladin Hardin with the help of the Courier in this quest.
- Eyesight to the Blind: If not overthrown, McNamara will task the player in planting a bug in the radio equipment at Black Mountain and to deal with the super mutants there.
- I Could Make You Care: Veronica wants to convince the Elder to change and get more recruits.
Effects of player actions
- If Elder McNamara is overthrown, he will be demoted to Knight McNamara and can be found working in the Knight's workshop.
|Brotherhood Elder's robe|
|Laser RCW or |
Tri-beam laser rifle or
Laser pistol or
|Brotherhood of Steel holotag|
Drained electron charge pack
Drops on death
- ¹ Only if the player overthrows McNamara.
- Elder McNamara is mentioned by Father Elijah if the Courier traps him in the Sierra Madre Casino Vault. This can be heard when listening to Elijah's radio frequency after resolving the quest in the vault and only if the player traps him alive.
- Elder McNamara is described by Veronica as being one of the Brotherhood's most progressive members. He, under the appropriate circumstances, will even support the NCR. In contrast, Hardin is a conservative, dyed-in-the-wool Brotherhood member who believes in the ideals and mission of the Brotherhood without question.
- In the Eyesight to the Blind quest, McNamara remarks that under his leadership, the Brotherhood has remained neutral with the neighboring Black Mountain super-mutants out of respect. However, this policy was established while Black Mountain was still under the control of the benevolent Marcus, rather than its current unstable and violent leader, Tabitha.
- If the PC already has had Power Armor Training McNamara will ask you how you acquired it.
- "Good news for a change. Your efforts have humbled me, outsider. You have done more than I could expect, even from my Brothers. Moreover, I've been going over the scouts' reports and keep coming up with the same conclusion. The NCR is not the threat I've believed it to be. We should not have had to rely on your help in this crisis. I believed my actions were guided by caution and prudence, but I now see the truth. People called me a hero after what happened at HELIOS, but I left that battle scarred by fear, and have allowed that weakness to govern my actions. That ends now. I will undo the wrong I have done my brethren, and lift the lockdown. With luck, we will once again flourish. Please, take this. It is a small token of my thanks, and scarcely begins to repay the debt owed you, but is all I am allowed to give an outsider. This key will allow you to use our safehouse to the northeast. I hope it will prove useful in your travels."
- prid 000e2f87, then disable, then enable.
After Elder McNamara grants you full access of the bunker, heading for his chair, if the player sits in his chair he will stop his action and stand still forever. This can be fixed by going into the console, selecting Elder McNamara with your mouse or typing
- Note: If you can't find him, type player.moveto 000e2f87 and warp to where he's stuck contemplating a wall/air vent.
- McNamara, the Rangemaster, Lars Taggart, and Scribe Ibsen both end their dialogue with Antony's distinctively voiced "Later." This appears to be a bug.
- After completing Still in the Dark he will be unavailable for dialogue and will indefinitely respond to attempts to speak to him with a comment stating that he is busy with efforts ending the lockdown, thus preventing the character from finding peaceful resolutions during quests such as For the Republic, Part 2.
- This is likely just a minor scripting bug. Once you reach this point, exit the entire bunker complex (so, breathe some fresh air), then re-enter the bunker and talk with McNamara again. Exiting and re-entering the bunker flips a trigger switch and allows McNamara to offer you the next quest in the BoS Chain (Eyesight to the Blind) that offers you the chance to become a member of the BoS, which then allows you to ask the BoS for their support in the upcoming battle.
- NOTE: You may have to wait 3 days or so after exiting the bunker complex before re-entering will work. What's happening in the mean time is the Elder is lifting the lockdown. The 3 day wait corresponds to the universal refresh time that also affects vendor inventories and non-player character respawns. However, this may still not allow the courier to initiate conversation with the Elder.
- If you have tried above solutions and still lack results, you can open the console and enter this command: /set "000E327C".LockdownLifted to 1
- On Xbox 360, it seems this may be caused by applying the 1.2 update partway through the game. Clear the update from your Xbox system cache (see Fallout: New Vegas patches#Removing patches). This will fix the "lockdown bug." Go talk to McNamara, tell him about the NCR and ask him about joining the Brotherhood. You can then re-patch your game with the update after talking to him, he will remain fixed and you will be able to continue with both quests.
- Nolan McNamara: "Back again, I see. Have you found all the components we need?"
The Courier: "I did. Lorenzo's on it."
Nolan McNamara: "Good news for a change. Your efforts have humbled me, outsider. You have done more than I could expect, even from my Brothers. Moreover, I've been going over the scouts' reports and keep coming up with the same conclusion. The NCR is not the threat I've believed it to be. We should not have had to rely on your help in this crisis. I believed my actions were guided by caution and prudence, but I now see the truth. People called me a hero after what happened at HELIOS, but I left that battle scarred by fear, and have allowed that weakness to govern my actions. That ends now. I will undo the wrong I have done my brethren, and lift the lockdown. With luck, we will once again flourish. Please, take this. It is a small token of my thanks, and scarcely begins to repay the debt owed you, but is all I am allowed to give an outsider. This key will allow you to use our safehouse to the northeast. I hope it will prove useful in your travels."
(Nolan McNamara's dialogue)