Elite riot gear
|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Elite riot gear
Background[edit | edit source]
Another advanced design fielded in limited quantities before the Great War, riot gear was a specialized model of combat armor used by the United States Marine Corps, Army units in the American West, and select law enforcement agencies, such as the Los Angeles Police Department.
The most characteristic element of this model is the helmet. A rounded shell protects the head from incoming gunfire, while the lamps on the right side of the helmet (including infrared and visible light projectors) provide illumination. The armored mask designed to be worn with the helmet is necessary to use the IR lamp, due to the low-light optics integrated into the lenses. The mask also incorporates a locking mechanism to properly join it together with the helmet shell, ear covers with membranes that do not inhibit hearing while maintaining its protective qualities, and air filters. Some upgraded models also include communications gear and upgraded filtering apparatus.
The torso assembly is a flexible vest of rigid impact plates, worn with adjustable straps on the sides and shoulders. One of its most notable additions is a prominent throat protector mounted on the vest, used by military operators to display tactical numbers or the owner's identifying information, such as the name, rank, and blood group, allowing for easy casualty management. Later models of riot gears may include heavier protection, including armored plating on shoulders and forearms. Military coats designed for use with the armor will also typically include some form of bullet-resistant reinforcement.
The elite variant is the heaviest and most durable, extensively modified to aid in the Army's operations against its own citizens.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The single best armor in its class, the elite riot gear offers protection comparable to a suit of T-45d power armor and the Desert Ranger combat armor at 22 DT, while being much lighter: Over 25% lighter than either the regular NCR Ranger combat armor or the Desert Ranger version, and nearly 50% lighter than the power armor. The helmet also provides just 1 DT less than the power armor's, but is 1 point heavier.
The armor shines in terms of special effects: The Riot's Ruin on the outfit grants +10 to Guns, +1 to Charisma and +5 to critical chance. The headgear grants Red Scare, which confers the usual red-tinted nighttime vision enhancement between 6 AM and 6 PM, adding +5 to Speech and +2 to Perception.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- NCR Ranger combat armor: Iconic armor of the veteran Rangers.
- Desert Ranger combat armor: Desert Rangers' ensemble.
- Riot gear: Standard riot gear issued to soldiers in Hopeville and Ashton.
- Advanced riot gear: Advanced riot gear used by an NCR riot control officer in the Divide.
- Elite riot gear: Unique armor belonging to an NCR officer in the Divide.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|NCR Ranger combat armor||20||30||600||7500||NCR Disguise|
|Desert Ranger combat armor||22||30||600||8000||-|
|Riot gear||20||30||500||7994||+5 Guns|
|Advanced riot gear||21||25||600||8494||+10 Explosives|
|Elite riot gear||22||23||750||12500||+10 Guns|
+5 Critical chance
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Third Street Municipal Building: Top floor, on a dead NCR riot control officer. The location can be reached by moving up by way of a connecting sewer pipe between the second and third floors. The officer also has a sniper rifle and numerous .308 bullets scattered around.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Riot gear helmets are flagged as hair, allowing other headgear to be worn with them.
- riot gear, the shoulders of the duster can randomly change color. Like with the
- Desert Ranger combat armor was used by a Marine in China.
- Riot gear availability in Lonesome Road.
- Fallout: New Vegas loading screen hints - "The distinctive black ranger combat armor consists of the Desert Rangers' traditional trench coat worn with Pre-War riot armor. Ranger patrol armor is hand-manufactured in the NCR."
- Massive Black concept art.
- The Courier: "What do the new rangers mean for NCR?"
Hanlon: "The Baja rangers can do more advance night scouting and sharpshooting to assist the troopers. Ranger combat helmets are old Pre-War gear. They have built in low-light optics. Makes a big difference."
- As seen in the Fallout: New Vegas intro.
- Appearance of NCR Ranger combat armor, Desert Ranger combat armor, and riot gears.
- Riot gear textures.
- Desert Ranger combat armor