As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
|For other characters in the Fallout universe named Emily, see Emily.|
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
I have family back in Arroyo, but this is where all of the good work is being done, so to speak.”
Hailing from Arroyo, Emily Ortal is a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse, with an affinity for computers and related projects. She has been working in the Mojave since 2276, joining the Followers to do some good, as neither the OSI nor other NCR-aligned organizations funded research into medical technology, unless it had military applications. The inflation and taxation in Republic territories also played a factor in her choice.
She is responsible for reprogramming Yes Man for Benny, making it connect to the network, but as an invisible peer, so that Mr House wouldn't fry it remotely. Benny kicked her out of the Tops soon after. What made it all the more embarrassing was a brief affair she had with him, chalked up to sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a doctor.||
|This character starts quests.|
- The Moon Comes Over the Tower: Emily Ortal will approach the player outside of the Lucky 38 casino and ask them to bug one of Mr. House's computers in order to obtain medical data. At this point the player may accept her request with no reward, or, by passing a skill check (Barter 40), the player may acquire several medical supplies from her as payment.
- A dialogue option exists where the player can pass an (Intelligence 6) check to ask how Emily made it onto the Strip. She will explain that the matter of Mr. House's technology was important enough that the Followers managed to scrape together enough caps for the credit check.
Followers Doctor Coat
Drops on death
- A dialogue option exists in the G.E.C.K. where the player could pass a (Perception 6) check to learn that Emily slept with Benny thanks to "sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many", along with sympathetic and mean responses which grant positive or negative Karma accordingly. However, the game was accidentally set to check Emily's Perception, not the player's. Using a console command like ModAV Perception 1 or ForceAV Perception 6 on Emily prior to dialogue will allow the dialogue option to appear. (It may not appear till her quest is completed.)
- When you have finished the quest from her and come back later and talk to her, you are able to keep repeating a speech challenge about how she bugged Mr. House the first time, if you exit the dialogue you will not be able to talk to her again.
- During the Barter check, your character actually uses their name in the text. This is one of few moments where this actually occurs.
- Benny names her as the Follower he recruited to help reprogram Yes Man, in exchange for letting her study the robotics. She was responsible for Yes Man's helpful personality.
- If, after leaving the Lucky 38 with Emily present and not previously talked to, and you manage to side step her and manually leave the strip, she will follow you across the entire wasteland and trigger the dialog to start the quest "The Moon Comes Over the Tower". (Just fast travel to any location and wait about 10 hours.)
- "Excuse me, but... are you the courier who caused all of that trouble in The Tops?"
- "[Yes.] Oh. Great! The Followers of the Apocalypse, well some of us, anyway, have been interested in Mr. House's technology, how he stays alive. Of course, no one is allowed inside the Lucky 38, so no one knows what's going on. Well, except for you."
- "[And this is where I come in.] Right. We just want to find out what sort of technology Mr. House has used to stay alive for all these years. It could be of great benefit to the people we try to help, many of whom suffer from hard to diagnose illnesses."
- "[All right. I'm on it.] Really? Oh, I wasn't expecting you to agree so easily. That's great! Here, take this packet sniffer. It will allow us to intercept data on Mr. House's network. You might have to manually remove the encryption from his data network, but hopefully you won't have too much trouble. Good luck!"
- "[I've bugged the tower for you.] It looks like we've started getting reports from the tower's network! I'm sure the others will be able to make some sense of this. Oh what the hell? The bug went offline! Dammit! I swear to God that old man has thought of everything. Well, it looks like this was all for nothing, but you did your best. I appreciate the help."
- "[I've bugged the tower for you.] Good to hear, but it looks like the bug was deactivated a few minutes after it went online. It looks like House has some kind of countermeasure in place to prevent evesdropping on his network. We'll get through eventually, just not today. Here are those medical supplies I promised. Hopefully you won't need to use them. Take care."
- verified Sometimes Emily may not appear in game.
After bugging Mr. House's computer network, Emily Ortal may not appear outside the Lucky 38, where the quest objective is.
- On PC, she can be made to reappear by typing:
- prid 0011904f
- verified Sometimes Emily will spawn inside the Presidential Suite and/or the casino at the Lucky 38.
- The Fort, after the drawbridge, where she will make her request for The Moon Comes Over the Tower. If this is the case the player may then need to return there to complete the quest.verified Emily can sometimes be found at
- verified The first conversation with Emily will act as if she's already asked the Courier to bug Mr. House's, and was rejected. This may have to do with the order you do the quests in. (Likely to happen if Benny is not killed at the Tops.)
- Dead Money before you travel back to the Wasteland, ending the add-on. This makes the quest impossible to complete as she will wait there, and the player cannot return to the Sierra Madre after the end of the DLC.verified
Emily appears at the gates of the Sierra Madre Casino at the end of
- On PC, this can be changed using the console.verified
- verified After completing the quest The Moon Comes Over the Tower, you can talk with her about what happened during her previous attempt of fulfilling her task, and you'll eventually have the possibility of making infinite speech challenges. If your speech skill is 35 or more, you can win as many of these speech challenges as you want, since they make up an infinite loop of experience winnings.
Emily Ortal appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "How long have you been with the Followers?"
Emily Ortal: "About five years now. I have family back in Arroyo, but this is where all of the good work is being done, so to speak. NCR taxes and inflation have been hard for a lot of people to deal with, and most of the money is going to the war effort. There's not much funding for medical research with OSI or any other group - not unless it has a military application, anyway."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue) Emily Ortal is referring to NCR taxation and inflation in Arroyo, which is only possible, if Arroyo is a part of the NCR.
- The Courier: "Tell me again about Benny's Securitron."
Emily Ortal: "Not much to tell. Benny had one of Mr. House's Securitrons, deactivated, and wanted it switched back on. He had heard I was interested in Mr. House's technology so he hit me up... so to speak."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Did something... happen between you two?"
Emily Ortal: "Ugh. So gross. It was bad enough that I didn't get any data out of the Securitron. This is why I didn't want to talk about it. It only happened once. I chalk it up to sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue)