Emmett Mountain Disposal Site
Emmett Mountain Disposal Site
Emmett Mountain Disposal Site is a location in Fallout 76.
One of several toxic waste dumps operated by the Department of Energy squirreled away in Appalachia, the disposal site was designed to leverage the unique geology of the region to safely store the waste. Composed of eight reinforced disposal cells, each rated to hold 128 55-gallon drums of nuclear waste for a total capacity of 1024 drums, the site was supposed to be foolproof. However, reality proved to be far cry from the designs. A week after the first batch was delivered, Seismos went nuts when the supports snapped and caused a cave collapse. What's worse, the containment failed and two inspectors were buried along with the rubble. The site supervisor, Wesley Wiskowski, had no choice but to seal the area off and request assistance from Federal Disposal Field HZ-21. The radioactive contamination that continued at the site and repeated refusals by the brass to provide medical assistance resulted in Wiskowski going up to Washington to talk to the people in charge, suspecting that he and his men were used as guinea pigs.
He was promptly dismissed and replaced by Donald Clark. Supposedly more pliable, due to the fact that promotion to disposal site manager was a major jump in rank for him, Clark made one mistake: He decided to go over every square inch of this facility and look for any deficient construction or equipment failures that could be contributing to the accidents. The two doctors assigned to monitor the state of the employees were also seen as help, rather than a hindrance. As expected, an extensive survey of the site confirmed that the accident in Disposal Cell 2 was caused by deficient construction materials. To cut costs, the construction crews used WOODEN supports that promptly started to dry-rot. Clark recommended that all seven remaining Disposal Cells receive metal reinforcements immediately and asked for help in cleaning up the 30 of the 55-gallon drums of waste lost in the collapse, due to them leeching into the groundwater. Then he made the final mistake: He decided to drive up to DC to talk to his supervisor.
Clark was fired and replaced with Amelia Reynolds, who finally understood the goals of the Department and canceled all of Clark's outstanding work orders and started cutting even more corners to ensure the costs were... Reasonable.
The other side of the despicable coin called Emmett MDS was the fact that West Tek decided to use the disposal cells for dumping organic waste produced by their super mutant program. After bribing the waste inspector, they began storing the barrels full of carved-up super mutant carcasses in the disposal cells. The waste inspector played along, receiving an envelope full of cash every week as long as he turned a blind eye to the extra containers of waste winding up in the disposal cells.
Points of interest
- The disposal site is a fairly compact location. The exterior area is a yard fenced in by a concrete wall, filled with various discarded pieces of machinery and a number of concrete warehouses along the perimeter. The entrance to the disposal cells is located inside the metal warehouse and includes a large staff area full of hazmat suits and a decontamination station. Deeper in the mine lie the disposal cells, arranged in a simple T-shaped pattern.
- Potential bobbleheads
- Hidden on the ground behind three corroding metal barrels, in the small locked (1) metal garage, inside the upper fenced exterior area with the two large, blue, vertical processing units.
- Inside the right sink, in the south corner of the curve-roofed warehouse, just right of the mine entrance door.
- On the orange forklift with the radioactive barrels, at the interior mine junction, at the southeast end of the initial mine tunnel.
- Potential magazines
- On the radioactive yellow barrel, inside the barrel storage garage with the parked orange forklift and more barrels outside, to the right of the curve-roofed disposal site entrance structure (exterior).
- On the metal desk next to the Disposal Terminal, in the storage room with the hole in the eastern corner wall, just southeast of the double doors from the large generator room (interior).
- Potential power armor
- Inside the disposal site, in the level 2 locked security area in the generator room.
- Dynamic spawns
- Consumables: Blackwater Brew, New River Red Ale, Oak Holler Lager, Old Possum, Pickaxe Pilsner
- Junk: Loose screws
Emmett Mountain Disposal Site appears in Fallout 76.