Courier sides with NCR, supporting the republic
Go kill those bastards.”— General Lee Oliver
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Second Battle of Hoover Dam is erupting as Caesar's Legion storms the dam and attempts to snatch it from New California Republic control. The Courier fights alongside NCR forces to make it to the Legion's base of operations and either kill Legate Lanius or force the Legate to surrender.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Get briefed by General Oliver.
- (Optional) Speak to Mike Lawson and flush the Legion invaders through the turbines. Passing a Science check of 65 allows the Courier to use the terminal on the second floor of Power Plant 03 will engage the dam's turbine and cut off the Legion's approach into Hoover Dam.
- Make your way through the power plant and across the dam.
- Arrive at the Legate's camp across the bridge and deal with Legate Lanius.
- Kill him through conventional means
- Alternatively, make a series of speech checks that requires 100 in either Speech or Barter to convince him to leave. If one fails the last Speech check, one can still pass a Speech check of 85 to fight him one-on-one.
- Alternatively, make an easier set of Speech checks (of 60, 75, 90, and 90) and bluff him out by choosing the <lie> option after the last Speech check and causing him to flee.
- Once having dealt with the Legate, speak with General Oliver.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
|1||The Legion is attacking Hoover Dam, the Legate's camp must be destroyed to protect the dam.|
|2||(Optional) Mike Lawson suggested flushing the Legionnaires through the turbines to stop their invasion of the station.|
|3||The dam overflow has been diverted into the turbines, the Legionnaires can no longer use them to access the power plant.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you lost your companions during your travels, they will be transported back to you for the battle.
- If you have enlisted the help of the Boomers and recovered the B-29 from Lake Mead, the bomber will be seen flying from the south over the Dam when you come out of the turbine building, and will bomb the area in front of you. It will then fly off to the north towards Nellis.
- Likewise, if you have convinced the Boomers to assist you and the NCR, Boomer howitzers at Nellis will provide fire support.
- If you have completed For Auld Lang Syne, the Vertibird will appear after leaving the Hoover Dam checkpoint and the members of the Remnants who agreed to help will assist you with the battle on foot. If you convinced them to assist the Legion, however, they will be hostile. This has since been fixed by the latest patch.
- If you have convinced the Great Khans to aid the NCR, they will be outside helping the NCR. One will approach you stating that they came just in time.
- When exiting the visitor center, the engineer who intended to kill President Kimball may still be outside in which case he will take out his knife and rush to attack the Legion. You can search his body for the failsafe detonator.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
"Eureka" is the state motto of California. The word comes from the ancient Greek word, heúrēka, meaning "I found it". There is a story of the famous Greek mathematician Archimedes, who shouted "Eureka!" upon making a great discovery and ran naked through the streets of Syracuse.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally, leaving Power Plant 1 without completing the optional quest marker, you will randomly fail 'Don't Tread on the Bear!' and all NCR forces will become hostile to you.
- Even after you kill Lanius, the quest marker will remain on him until all of Caesar's Legion in the area are dead. This can sometimes break the quest as the legion in the area are effectively stored in an unreachable area to the left of the main building were you encounter Lanius. This can be fixed via explosives such as rockets to kill them via blast radius.
- It is possible for the player to fast travel when this quest is in progress by simply going through the Hoover Dam checkpoint and straight after you come out quickly go to your Pip-Boy and fast travel. After doing this you will have to use that same method if you want to fast travel again.
- The Legate has been known to flee once the two NCR Rangers appear, he will go out of the main gate, and you cannot follow him as the gate cannot be interacted with.