In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Eye for an Eye
|For the Honest Hearts perk, see Eye for Eye.|
Eye for an Eye
Cottonwood Cove is the Legion's primary crossing point across the Colorado River and the nexus of all Legion operations both in the Mojave Wasteland and Nevada as a whole. Espionage directed against the camp and the camp's subsequent destruction would immensely aid the New California Republic's war effort against the Legion and all but annihilate the Legion's presence west of the Colorado.
New California Republic
- After discovering Cottonwood Cove, talk to First Sergeant Astor.
- Find general intel on Legion troop movements and Legion raids in Cottonwood Cove. This can be done through conventional means, or a truckbed atop Cottonwood Overlook can be opened with a Lockpick of 50 to release the radioactive barrels.
- Plant the NCR bug.
- Clear out the Legion from Cottonwood Cove.
- Talk to Astor about Cottonwood Cove.
- Agree to help him plant the bug and find intel on the Legion.
- Turn the bug over to Aurelius of Phoenix.
- Give the old intel to Astor.
|1||Plant the NCR Bug|
|2||Find Intel on Legion raids|
|3||Find general intel on Legion Troop Movement|
|4||(Optional) Give First Sergeant Astor the old intel. - Caesar's fame|
|5||Return to First Sergeant Astor with the intel.|
|6||Kill all Legionaries in Cottonwood Cove|
|7||Return to First Sergeant Astor|
- It is best to wait for all the barrels to fall into the camp before fast-traveling back to Astor talk. If you open up the truck, but fast-travel to Astor too soon, then the game doesn't realize you've killed the legionaries using the radioactive waste.
- You will incur no reputation loss for dropping the barrels on Cottonwood.
- If you tip the radioactive barrels into the cove before completing the quest Left My Heart, you will fail the quest as the Weathers family will die from radiation poisoning.
- If you decide to drop the barrels on the Legion forces at Cottonwood Cove, you will still be able to use the ferry to reach Caesar's camp. The Legion ferryman, Cursor Lucullus, will now be wearing a radiation suit and will still grant you access to The Fort.
- Completing the quest with Craig Boone as a follower will earn you history points towards triggering Boone's companion quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget.
Behind the scenes
"Eye for an Eye" is a well known phrase dating from the times of Hammurabi. Known as Hammurabi's Code, the laws dictated an "eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", meaning that any law broken, or anyone harmed, the perpetrator would receive the same as punishment.
- Sometimes dropping the radioactive barrels will not kill all the legionaries. They will remain standing in front of the barrels without ever succumbing to the radiation. Four legionaries line up at the base of the cliff while the barrels roll right through them. However, the objective is still marked as complete in spite of the fact that the survivors can still be killed, V.A.T.S., and otherwise interacted with.