As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Fallout 2 companions
|This page lists all companions in Fallout 2.|
Permanent companions require a few requisites to be met in order for them to join the player's party. For a few non-player character's, there is more than one possible way to have them join your party.
|John Cassidy||Vault City||Player asks him to join. Must also not be a slaver.|
|Davin||Modoc||Player marries him after having sex, regardless of gender|
|Dogmeat||Cafe of Broken Dreams||Player shows Dogmeat the Vault 13 suit in the Cafe encounter|
|Goris||Vault 13||Player asks him to join|
|K-9||Navarro||Player kills Schreber and repairs K-9|
|Lenny||Gecko||Player reaches 'Accepted' reputation with Gecko or a Charisma of 9|
|Marcus||Broken Hills||Player asks him to join after completing certain quests in Broken Hills.|
|Miria||Modoc||Player marries her after having sex, regardless of gender|
|Myron||Stables||Player asks him to join|
|Pariah Dog||Random encounter||Player fails a LK check on the encounter map|
|Robodog||New California Republic||Player tests Dr. Henry's mutagen|
|Skynet||Sierra Army Depot||Player is willing to build Skynet himself; requires Bio Med Gel, a Robot motivator, and a Cybernetic Brain|
|Sulik||Klamath||Player pays his $350 debt or saves Smiley from the Toxic Caves. Must also not be a slaver.|
|Vic||Den||Player gives Metzger Vic's radio and pays $1000 or kills Metzger and all the slavers.|
Once an non-player character becomes the player's companion, their dialogue menu changes to a list of tactical and combat-oriented options. New from Fallout is a "Combat Control" button in dialogue, which lets you manually change an non-player character's armor, weapon, distance, and tactics.
The picture to the right is the in-game dialogue box for controlling companions. For permanent companions, the options are shown as follows:
Use Best Weapon
- At first, this doesn't do anything, because the companions originally only carry their default weapon. However, the player may so gift them with a better weapon (and ammunition, for guns), then the non-player character will make use of that weapon instead. Alternatively, the companion can pick up weapons found on the ground.
Use Best Armor
- This control acts the same as the one above; give the companion a better suit of armor, and they will equip it in place of their default armor, granting them the corresponding bonus to armor class.
- Berserk - The companion will always attack, never fleeing from battle, no matter the level their health drops to.
- Aggressive - The companion will attack while their health is in an acceptably decent range. If it falls too low, they will ultimately flee from combat.
- Defensive - The companion will be more mindful of their health, running when they are injured, even if just slightly.
- Coward - The companion will always run from a battle they think they cannot handle, regardless of the opponents.
- Custom - There are six options with 5 sub-options that can be chosen by the player concerning the non-player character's disposition. The possible options for each is listed below.
|Custom disposition options|
|Burst||Run Away||Weapon Pref||Distance||Attack Who||Chem Use|
|Companion||Default armor||Default weapon||S.P.E.C.I.A.L.||Max HP||Notable skills||Usable weapons|
|Davin||Clothes||Desert Eagle .44||4 5 5 4 5 4 4||35||None||Knives, clubs, pistols|
|Dogmeat||Metal armor mk II||Unarmed||7 7 7 2 3 10 8||161||Unarmed 101%||N/A|
|Goris||Combat armor Mk II||Unarmed||10 9 10 4 8 10 7||187||Unarmed 100%, Outdoorsman 24%||N/A|
|K-9||Power armor||Unarmed||6 10 8 3 8 9 8||137||Unarmed 92%||N/A|
|John Cassidy||Leather armor||Sawed-off shotgun||6 8 4 5 4 7 9||128||Small Guns 127%, Energy Weapons 116%, Unarmed 84%, Melee Weapons 84%, Throwing 72%, Outdoorsman 39%||Spears, pistols, rifles|
|Lenny||Clothes||Unarmed||4 7 6 5 7 5 6||206||Small Guns 70%, Melee Weapons 12%, Doctor 106%||Knives, pistols, SMGs|
|Marcus||Combat armor||CZ53 personal minigun||10 9 10 3 7 9 9||205||Big Guns 145%, Energy Weapons 100%, Unarmed 77%||Large rifle, gatling gun, rocket launcher|
|Miria||Clothes||Unarmed||3 5 4 5 5 5 4||35||None||Knives, SMGs|
|Myron||Clothes||Needler Pistol||4 7 4 4 9 6 7||122||Small Guns 41%, Energy Weapons 83%, Unarmed 10%, Melee Weapons 20%, Doctor 34%, Science 109%, Repair 18%||Knives, pistols|
|Pariah Dog||Combat armor||Unarmed (will never fight)||1 2 1 1 1 5 1||750||None||N/A|
|Robodog||Metal armor mk II||Unarmed||6 9 8 1 3 8 5||137||Unarmed 72%||N/A|
|Skynet||Combat armor||Unarmed||8 7 6 1 10 7 5||210||Unarmed 50% (worst brains), Small Guns 122%, Science 115%, Repair 30% (best brains)||SMGs, rifles|
|Sulik||Leather jacket||Sledgehammer||8 7 9 8 7 7 8||146||Small Guns 77%, Unarmed 90%, Melee Weapons 110%, Throwing 82%, Outdoorsman 58%||Knives, hammers, spears, SMGs|
|Vic||Clothes||Unarmed||7 8 5 5 8 8 8||117||Small Guns 98%, Energy Weapons 129%, Throwing 33%, Repair 106%||Knives, pistols, rifles|
Like permanent companions, there are a few conditions that must be met to have temporary companions join the player's party.
|Bess||Modoc||Player must use the Doctor skill to fix her crippled leg|
|Laddie||Modoc||Player must accept the Jonny is missing quest|
|Smiley||Toxic Caves||Player offers to rescue him|
|Smoke||Arroyo||Player offers to rescue him|
|Xarn||Navarro||Player offers to rescue him|
Temporary companions cannot be controlled in any way.
|Companion||Default armor||Default weapon||S.P.E.C.I.A.L.||HP||Notable skills||Usable weapons|
|Bess||Leather jacket||Unarmed||8 3 8 3 2 4 1||39||Unarmed 19%||N/A|
|Laddie||None||Unarmed||3 3 6 1 1 5 3||30||Unarmed 26%||N/A|
|Smiley||Leather armor||Unarmed||7 6 8 4 5 6 6||50||Small Guns 46%, Unarmed 19%, Melee Weapons 34%, Throwing 56%||Spears, pistols, rifles|
|Smoke||None||Unarmed||3 3 6 1 1 5 3||30||Unarmed 29%||N/A|
|Xarn||None||Unarmed||9 10 8 1 4 10 10||310||Unarmed 82%||N/A|
- It is interesting that most permanent companions are male, others don't have their gender specified.