We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Fallout: New Vegas exploits
|This page lists exploits in Fallout: New Vegas.|
Exploits are "holes" in the game programming which allow a player to do something that the developers did not intend and as such, alter the balance of the game in a way that benefits the player. It is advised not to do this unless it is absolutely necessary, because using these exploits all the time may ruin the fun of the game.
- 1 Experience
- 2 Add-ons
- 3 Money
- 4 Big MT weapons/caps exploit
- 5 Caravan
- 6 Weapons
- 7 Loot
- 8 Perks
- 9 Companions
- 10 Karma
- 11 Achievements/Challenges
- 12 Artificial Intelligence flaws
- 13 Barrel exploit
- 14 Gaining access to Legate's camp
- 15 Armor hopping
- 16 Complimentary Voucher Stacking
- 17 Pip-Boy speed-boost glitch
- 18 Patched Exploits
XP By Infinite Skill Challenges
- During the Three-Card Bounty quest, after killing the fiends you can talk to Major Dhatri about 10 of Spades and Corporal Betsy. You can repeatedly pass a Speech check of 35 and 46 worth 20xp.
- In the Vault 11 sacrificial chamber, you can access the mainframe in the room to the left after sitting through a presentation by Vault-Tec. Once you access the mainframe, you can repeatedly earn 550xp every time you select the third option and you do not exit the mainframe. It is important to note that if the player chooses the Here and Now perk at any time while leveling-up after performing the exploit, it will cause any subsequent level-ups to not occur. (Patched)
- In Camp Golf, accept the quest Flags of Our Foul-Ups from Sgt. McCredie, then go talk to O'Hanrahan and mention helping the squad, he'll ask you to talk to the misfits. Go find Razz, the man with the mohawk, and ask him about his squad mates, as long as you have 40 speech, you can repeat the dialog over and over again for 40xp each time.
- In the Vegas Strip when you talk to Mr. House you can ask him as often as you want about the "You seem more like a computer than a man." Which requires 35 Medicine Skill and always gives you 35xp.
- In the Vegas Strip when you talk to Mr. House and don't agree with his terms for getting the chip at first, you can restart the negotiation. First you say "Tell me your terms again?", then the Barter 50 option "[Barter 50] It's a good start... but well below market price." After that tell Mr. House "The Chip is worth far more than that." After that "Still not interested." You can reloop this to achieve 65xp each time.
- "Mister Sandman Glitch" is back: In Bitter Springs, after having taken the Mister Sandman perk, wait for one of the refugee children to go to sleep and use the "Murder" option you get 50 XP, after-wards the kid keeps sleeping and you can simply rinse and repeat as necessary. Most children are invulnerable to the Mister Sandman perk and will only display a "talk" option when you attempt, however due to a possible labeling glitch these count both as children who can't be killed and adults who can be targeted.
- In Primm, early in the They Went That-a-Way quest, it requires 40 speech. Before you rescue Deputy Beagle, make your way to Novac and talk to Manny Vargas about the men you are chasing. (This might also work by going to Nipton and talking to Boxcars but hasn't been tested.) Now you can return to Primm and clear out the convicts. Speak to Beagle, and select the speech check that offers to free him for information. He no longer has any information to give you, so you can repeat the speech check for XP as long as you like with only a couple of button presses.
- In Red Rock Drug Lab, during the quest Oh My Papa, after speaking to Jack about breaking the alliance with the Legion, the dialogue can be repeated (60 Speech check) as many times as you want for 60 XP.this can also be used to break the level cap.
- After completing There Stands the Grass by giving the data to Dr. Hildern and not deleting it, go talk to Dr. Williams. After going through everything she has to say and you go to talk to her again, you should have two options, "I have some questions", and "Goodbye". Choose I have some questions, next choose "What do you think of Dr. Hildern?". The very first option you should get is a Speech Check of 25. Select the speech check and you will gain 25 EXP if you have 25 Speech. You won't get the 25 exp until she is done talking, not right when you pass the speech check. After that select "What's Your Role Here?", the "What do You Think of Dr. Hildern?" option will be on the list again (The second option) so you can then repeat it from there.
Run Goodsprings Run
- In Goodsprings during the Run Goodsprings Run quest, you can get infinite XP, and loot using a speech check. Bear in mind this means you cannot use this exploit to gain Perks and then continue the game from Level 1.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: It can be time-intensive and tedious to reach Level 30 (or 50 depending on what add ons you have) by using this exploit...
- Takes approximately 5 minutes to do a 100 checks. (Timed at less than 3 hrs, but more than 2 & 1/2 hrs; With And Without Swift Learner Stack-up.)
- Beginning at Level 1, it takes 66,700 XP to reach Level 30. Each speech check is 25 XP.
66,700 / 25 = 2,668 Speech checks.
- You can speed this up by taking all three ranks of the Swift Learner perk, increasing your earned XP by 30% to make each worth 33 XP. In contrast:
66,700 / 33 = 2,022 Speech checks.
- To speed this up even further, if you own the Lonesome Road add-on, take the Lessons Learned at level 26. The added exp gained per levels helps lessen the time it takes to reach the maximum level, while increasing the amount of exp you get every level.
- Beginning at Level 1, it takes 66,700 XP to reach Level 30. Each speech check is 25 XP.
- Agree to kill Ringo for the Run Goodsprings Run quest, kill him, return to Joe Cobb, agree to shake down store owners for supplies. Kill all the gang members, including Joe Cobb for good karma (and thus failing the quest). It is also possible to sneak kill Joe Cobb to fail the quest and quickly fast travel, gaining no Powder Gangers infamy and leaving the rest of them alive (if done properly, they will not be hostile).
- Go to Chet in the general store and ask him to donate some supplies to the Powder Gangers. Select the first option (Barter 25), then the second option (Speech 25), after-wards, the dialog doesn't disappear, and you can keep shaking him down indefinitely. (EDIT: You can keep selecting only the first option if you want. Choosing the 2nd option doesn't affect the exploit. You can use the 2nd option but its more clicks on the Xbox 360/Play Station 3 )
- Loot from Chet: 25xp, a completed speech check, some Powder Gangers Fame (which you really need, since you just killed a whole bunch of them), 1 leather armor & 30 9mm rounds, which can be sold back to Chet, unlike what ever you steal from him.
- If you use Chet, check The bodies of the gang members; both times they had leather armor in the same amounts as however many times you used this exploit.
- If you have a Teensy or Minimus series USB development board, you can use the hex files from this archive to automate the process of talking to Chet, allowing you to sleep while you gain maximum levels: http://www.killerbug.net/TEMPSHARES/Fallout_NV_PS3_GoodSprings_Exploit_Controller.zip
- You can do the same thing with Doc Mitchell, but the Spare medical supplies you get cannot be sold or dropped since it's marked as a quest item.
- If you have already left the Goodsprings area you can continue the game with your new level. If you have not then you have the option to leave or double your perks See Double Perks section
Agility Stat Boost
- After finding the Sierra Madre Vending Machine codes needed to return casualwear (and related lightweight apparel that gives a +1 boost to Agility), you can raise your Agility well beyond normal limits. Simply equip the casualwear and then turn it in to the vending machine. The clothing will be removed from your inventory, but the +1 Agility boost will remain added to your stats. This exploit can be repeated any number of times, adding +1 with every equipped clothing item you return.
- If you previously chose to lock Christine in the Switching Station during the Mixed Signals quest, she sets traps in the Executive Suites during the quest Last Luxuries. On the west side of the local map there is a tripwire and frag grenade trap (one room across left and one down from the security room - the doorway between these two guest rooms). The grenades can be disarmed and collected repeatedly, giving the player unlimited grenades.
Unlimited EXP Gain
- After obtaining all collars in the main quest portion, speak to Dog/God with 75 or more speech skill. After speaking to Dog about the Gala already having been triggered, talk to God about what Dog said, mention the casino opening up, then ask why you are there. Ask why the collars haven't been set off, then ask if the casino blocks the signal. If your speech is above 75, there will be a skill check option available, however not marked as a skill check regarding the Pip-boy boosting the signal. With the Swift Learner Perk you gain 83 Exp. This can then be used again repeatedly.
Easy "Sierra Souvenir Aficionado" Achievement
- Once you acquire a fair amount of chips, (25 or more is best) drop them on the ground and pick them up again. You won't get a notice of how many you have, but you will eventually get the achievement and additional XP bonus challenge. You can also check the challenge counter to see how many more you need.
War club glitch
- Due to the latest patch, the speed for all the animations for the war club has been dramatically increased. This can be exploited so that with a fully upgraded war club, 100 melee, light armor equipped and by holding the attack trigger while moving forward. You can actually move faster at incredible speeds with this weapon, rather than holstering and wearing light armor.
- Using the same exploit as above you can actually use it to cause another exploit by charging into anything that elevates the player (e.g. stair steps, street curbs), if timed correctly this will launch the player straight up in the air. Note: This is tricky to do and will not all ways work, sometimes it will even send you so high in the air that the player will die from the fall.
Old World Blues
Skilled trait glitch
- When starting the game, you can choose the Skilled trait to gain +5 to every skill at a cost of gaining 10% less XP throughout the game. When you leave the tutorial area, rebuild your character, choose the Skilled trait again, and you will get another +5 to every skill (+10 total per skill) but still only suffer a 10% (rather than a 20%) XP penalty for choosing the trait twice. The net effect is a gain of 130 skill points, which depending on the player's intelligence and perks, is like starting the game between 8 and 13 levels higher, a tremendous boost in the earlygame. The 10% XP penalty will also wash out once the player reaches the maximum level (30 + 5 x number of add-ons owned or 30 if Logan's Loophole is selected.)
Unlimited EXP gain
- Due to the X-42 giant robo-scorpion having the unique ability to restart a short time after being disabled with the Robotics Expert perk, it is possible to gain an infinite amount of EXP as long as the player remains hidden by disabling it repeatedly.
- After recruiting Fisto to work for the Garrets as their "sexbot". Talk to him at the Atomic Wrangler, he will offer to provide services to you. Just exit the conversation and you will receive 10 caps. Repeat this as many times as you wish to build up vast sums of money however quite slowly.
- It is possible to exploit any casino for infinite caps simply by getting more than 32,768 (2^15) Chips and then dropping them on the ground. The game gets confused since it's, for some reason, never expecting you to drop this many at once. The result of dropping them is a negative number of chips the player can then pick up and use to trade for caps, NCR or Legion coinage. The exploit can be done with values higher than 32,768 but the negative number dropped will be smaller (65,536, or 2^16-chips dropped) the more chips you originally drop. Dropping 33,000 Chips will give you a number close to -32,000 and every time you turn Chips in for Caps, NCR or Legion coinage you will gain that amount, only in positive numbers. Note, save before dropping the chips; they sometimes disappear on the floor. When picked up, they don't show up in inventory anymore, but may be turned in for money over and over. If done right out of Character Creation the player may be able to get infinite caps before reaching level 2 if careful. (confirmed Xbox360)... 33,536 chips dropped equals exactly -32,000 chips. This is due to the 16-bit (4-hex) string used to store the player's number of caps and is a frequent exploit in other games that use the same method for storing numbers that are usually below 32,768 in normal play.
- When the Vikki and Vance Casino opens, with an unpatched version of the game, it is possible to get an infinite amount of caps, Legion coinage, and NCR dollars. If you currently have the patch, take it off until you are finished (Note: if you have done all the expansion packs other than Dead Money, you will lose all items, perks and if higher than level 35, will revert back to 35 until you do them over). The trick is to buy chips from the casino, after you buy as many chips as you want. Then cash them in. (Ex. The caps are gain through X number of Vikki and Vance Casino chips. For example 100,000 chips when returned is added back to the number of caps you have; 30 clicks returns 3 million caps. (Note: you should start with 100 first to make sure this works before you waste all your caps.) Then if you look in your inventory, you will notice that it has not been removed. You can keep cashing them in from here, buy more, and cash them in as many times as you like. Until you add the update to the game, your chips will still be in the inventory. When updated, you can then cash in the chips and they will disappear.
Big MT weapons/caps exploit
One easy way to receive multiple level-dependent weapons (the higher your level, the better the weapons) that can be used for bartering is to farm Big MT after finishing Old World Blues. It is recommended that you have good standing with the NCR, and Great Khans as well as the Jury Rigging perk before attempting this exploit. The easiest and quickest method is to start at Ulysses' Point (4-5 lobotomites), walk east towards The Cuckoo's Nest (2-3 on the cliffs), continue towards X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch site (3-4 lobotomites and 3-4 Y-17 Trauma Harnesses), continue a westward loop to the X-2 transmitter antenna array (2-3 lobotomites, 2-3 Y-17 Trauma Harnesses, and 2-3 robo-scorpions). Next, head back to the Sink to sell some of weapons, and use the Toaster to super-heat any Saturnite fists in your inventory for re-sale purposes. Next, head to Fiend Territory in New Vegas to loot their weaker weapons for repair purposes, such as the pool cues and brass knuckles. (They respawn all around the area where you killed Cook-Cook.) Use these weaker weapons to repair the proton axes and Saturnite fists to get max caps using the Jury Rigging perk. Other weapons such as the laser RCW will already have a decent sell price. Now you can head back to the Sink,(or skip to a better vendor) once the Sink is out of caps, head to Gun Runners, Camp McCarran (To see Sgt. Contreras), and finally to The Great Khan armory near Bonnie Springs. The lobotomites and Y-17's may respawn within one game day if you use the Big Mountain Transportalponder! to head back to the Mojave Wasteland, and use it to head right back to Big MT. Using this route, you will also avoid all nightstalkers, cazadores, and cyberdogs, and if prepared will use a very limited number of stimpaks. If done correctly, you should average a minimum of 25,000-50,000 caps per real-time hour.
- It should be noted that the numbers of enemies at each location is a conservative estimate based on the average number of enemies at each location while utilizing this exploit. Although very uncommon, a single robo-scorpion may appear at Ulysses' Point as well.
- It should also be noted that this exploit was learned and tested before being written using a system, although as with most aspects of the game, should be the same on the console, and as well.
- The vendors listed are not the necessary vendors needed to use this exploit properly, but are the vendors used in order, by the author of this exploit, and these listed vendors will also have the largest amount of caps on hand at any given time. Using the Vendor exploit listed below may also be beneficial to those players using this exploit.
- This is not an exploit, so much as an understanding of the games' mechanics.
Barter and Repair exploitation
- Vendor exploit: 100% weapons and armor...as with Fallout 3, player can sell damaged weapons and armor to vendors who already have at least one copy of same item in their inventory...after completing sale (i.e. getting caps) repurchase item (rinse and repeat) depending on how many of same items vendor started with, player will eventually be able to purchase item at low quality cost...then have 100% fully repaired item in their inventory which they can now either keep or sell back at 100% value. This exploit allows players to clean out vendors of their inventory without spending a cap...i.e. ammunition shortages will rarely be a problem assuming player uses exploit whenever he/she gets a chance. Profit from the sale is the difference between the current condition of the weapon and the full 100% condition of the weapon so choose a very damaged weapon to buy/sell.
- Note: appears to only work if player starts with only 1 copy of item in their own inventory...Not working? Confirm you do not have a "stolen" item or hidden duplicate in your inventory.
- To avoid glitches in NV (FO3 also?) chose a light weight, high value, RARE item (recharger pistol?). Get TWO of them and repair one to 100% and totally break the other. This way you can carry your own trade items that few if any Merchants will glitch on and you won't have to hope they have a broke version of the good item you may be carrying. You can now sell the 100% item first then the broke one. buy the broke one back and you will receive the 100%. theen buy the broke one again and you will receive it. This can also be done with MULTIPLE 100% items but runs the risk of glitching. Using this you can clean out any merchant, the Big MT Sink or LR commissary unit.
Vendor cash and inventory reset
- You can either wait several game days using the wait/sleep menu.
- It is possible to refresh merchant inventories on the Xbox 360 by:
- 1. Save or auto-save in the same area as the merchant(s)
- 2. Restart the game or sign out
- 3. Load the save
- The merchants in the area will have refreshed inventory and caps. If you load the save while in the game, any nearby merchants' inventories will return to the state they were left in. This affects all merchants that are loaded when the save is loaded. If you are out of the "pop in" range for non-player characters it will not work. The vendor will now be at full cash and inventory will be refilled including any randomized items. This will only reset a vendor(s) in the zone you are in, for example if you perform this inside the dino gift shop, that vendor resets but not any caravans outside in the courtyard. This can be used to quickly reset vendor cash or regenerate random items. Works with the weapon sale exploit.
- Vendor Restock Exploit:
- If player saves game when in same "cell" as vendor (i.e. same location)...then exits game, restarts game and resumes from save...the vendor will have new stock...Using Vendor exploit (above)...player can amass huge inventory of 100% weapons & armor, chems, meds etc. from one vendor (helpful at start of game!).
- You can easily win a game of Caravan by building this deck:
- 4 Aces, 4 7's, 4 9's, 4 10's, 4 Jack's, 4 Queens, 4 Kings, 2 Jokers
- You will want at least four 10s, 9s, and 7s. The more the better however, as you are mostly using these for the strategy.
- When the game starts, begin to discarding cards until you have a 10 that you can play, Queens and Jokers, come in the least handy, so discard those before a King, Joker, or Ace. Never discard 10s, 9s, or 7s unless you absolutely have to.
- First play the 10s, one in each row. Then place a 9 in your row, opposite of the opponent's second highest row. Then add a 7 to that same row so the total of your row is now 26. Then add a 9 to your row, opposite of your opponent's lowest row. Then add a 7 to that row, making the total 26. You should now win the game by having two rows of 26.
- Sometimes your opponent may play a King on your 10s causing you to go over 26. Rather than discarding the entire track, you can remove the effecting King by playing a Jack on it. This will remove the King and the 10 bringing your total down to 16. If at this point you have an Ace and a King in your hand you can play the King on the 9 bringing your total to 25, and the Ace on the 7 bringing your total to 26 again.
- A King will double the number of any card it is played on, and a Jack will remove any card(s) it is played on.
- An example of this would be; If you play a King on a 10 it will bring your total to 20, and if you play a Jack on a 10 it will remove the 10, playing a Jack also works to remove any cards played on the card such as a King on a 10.
- With the 1.02 patch, Cliff Briscoe, Johnson Nash, Lacey, and Quartermaster Mayes have been limited to five games of caravan apiece. However, the player can still reverse-pickpocket caps into the inventory of non-merchant non-player characters who play caravan (such as No-bark Noonan or Isaac). This allows the player to exploit the 'double caps' bug.
- Any trader who plays Caravan can be exploited for caps. There seems to be a logic error that involves all the different types of currency, if you buy everything so that you have no caps you can still gamble with your NCR and Legion money, the game gives you back all the money in caps. If you continue to do this until the trader has 20 to 30k it never diminishes their total caps. You can keep feeding the trader more caps by buying and selling stuff.
- You can reverse pick-pocket Dale Barton at The Fort and add caps to his inventory, and he will bet the caps, but they will not be removed from his inventory if you win. Winning large amounts "5,000,000+" may cause the game to crash however.
- You can use the above method to duplicate NCR dollars and Legion coinage
- Using this method you can win up to 5,000,000 NCR dollars or Legion coinage every game.
- WARNING if your total funds reaches 2,093,284,736+ then it will turn into -2,093,284,736 and prevent you from playing anymore.
- When using round-by-round reloading weapons the slow speed and glitching can be remedied by having more than one ammunition type and quickly tapping the change ammunition type button or key two or more times depending on how many ammunition types you are carrying. For example using the .357 revolver carrying regular .357 rounds and hollow point .357 rounds, after firing all 6 rounds of ordinary .357 cartridges, immediately press the switch ammunition button two times to instantly reload the weapon with the first of the two ammunition types you were using. (Tested on .357 revolver, cowboy repeater, trail carbine, brush gun, lever-action shotgun, hunting revolver, grenade launcher and grenade rifle.)
- tgm. This should trigger the god mode. You also need a mine, any kind of mine (bottle cap, plasma, pulse or frag.) and any amount will do (one mine is the best). Plant the mines any place you like, any number you you want. Disarm and pick all the mines you planted. Press the tilde '~' key and type
NOTE: This is not really an exploit since the designers of the game intended god mode to have infinite ammunition. And if console commands come in question, one can just use additem to add infinite amount of whatever.
- Break a missile launcher, but break it by your hand, when you fire the last missile and it says the message and takes away the weapon; now after the message appears and it takes the weapon go to pipboy, weapons, select a weapon depending on the ammunition you broke your launcher with.
- If you had regular missiles equipped it will let you throw down as many placed explosives as you had regular missile ammunition.
- If you choose to break if using HE or HV rounds, you will be able to throw the missiles by equipping a throwing spear or like weapon.
- If you have done enough of the Brotherhood of Steel quest line that you are told you can have some of their recharged energy cells/microfusion cells, you can leave the bunker and re-enter it and the box will always be filled. You can do this as many times as you want and accumulate an outrageous amount of energy weapon ammunition. Note that there is no need to leave the bunker; leaving the cell (area) is sufficient. Sometimes you can see the initiate walking off having restocked the footlocker. Installing the game onto your hard drive can speed up loading times and make this method much more effective. You can do this an unlimited amount of times.Status:unconfirmed Confirmed post-patch 1.5, 11 Jun 2011 Confirmed, 25 Jun 2011
- You can get any weapon that would otherwise be in bad condition, fully repaired.
NOTE: This does not work with weapons you have dropped. Simply save before you pick at up after you have saved and picked it up, reload the save you made before picking it up. It should be fully repaired. Tested with The Weapons in the silver rush, Pushy, Mercy, 9mm pistol, 9mm SMG
- One can equip ammunition to the hot key menu for use with any weapon. While you are on the weapons page, hot key the weapon with the ammunition type you want to use equipped. Then navigate over to the ammunition page while still holding the hot key button and hot key the ammunition of your choice. Then equip the weapon of your choice and switch to the ammunition using the hot key you previously chose with your first weapon. This will switch to the first weapon's ammunition. Damage modifiers, DT modifiers, and gun condition modifiers are in effect, as well as effects like incendiary, fatigue damage, coin shot, and others. It is interesting to note that explosive ammunition makes the projectile the explosive (you can shoot a Mini Nuke out of a BB Gun, for example). Guns that run on microfusion breeders do not need ammunition to fire, only the initial hot key. Loading a save disables the glitch. Some combinations do not work, such as the Laser Detonator with Tiny Tots. The ammunition can be added to melee and unarmed weapons as well, and they will not consume ammunition. Throwing weapons and mines are also effected, and will allow you to "throw" the ammunition. An interesting effect can be achieved when using the 12 gauge, 4/0 buck or similar ammunition with such weapons, by creating multiple mines or explosions at a single point. If you use C4 with 12 gauge, 4/0 buck, for example then for every 1 piece of C4 you throw down, 3 more will appear. This can create large amounts of mines to pick up very quickly. Laser Detonator with Mini-Nukes is also a particular favorite since the weapon fires rapidly and doesn't consume ammo. This may not work on the PC, as it's mechanics for how you hot key items may be different than the console versions.
- The two guards outside the Gun Runners factory can be killed without Karma loss or penalty. They both wear combat armor and carry a hunting rifle, all in roughly 50% condition, and can be then sold to the Vendortron at the booth for an easy 6000+ caps profit. This can be repeated every time they respawn. The guards can be difficult to kill at lower levels. Guards will respawn after 3 days.
- You can fully repair all of the weapons on the table in middle of the Silver Rush without using any normal repair skills before you steal them. There is no loss of karma so stealing from them doesn't effect you at all. It takes some patience but it is worth it. First thing you do is save when you first enter the Silver Rush. Grab a weapon, bring it into the back room, make sure you are hidden then steal it, drop it, save again, then load your original save when you first entered. The item you chose will be fully repaired and sitting on the table again. Just simply pick it up again, bring it into the backroom and steal it once more. Enjoy your stolen, fully repaired weapon!
- Using a suppressed sniper rifle, kill NCR veteran Rangers, and take their armor, which can be worth up to 7500 caps. They spawn at Camp Forlorn Hope. Make sure you are hidden before you kill them and no karma or faction penalty will be incurred nor will the NCR attack you. Simply sell their armor, fully repaired for max profit, and every time you fast travel to and from the merchants, the veterans will have respawned. If not, go to Ranger Station Delta, or Camp Golf, which three Veteran Rangers guard outside the House Resort.
- Another option is to use Mister Sandman on sleeping Veteran Rangers inside the Camp Golf Resort House. An Unarmed/Melee player with Piercing Strike would also be able to kill them easily.
- If you decide to not ally with Caesar's Legion at the Fort, you have a chance to gain an unlimited supply of Legion money, armor, and weapons, as well as a possible source of infinite 12.7mm ammunition and 12.7mm SMGs. After clearing out the main area of The Fort and searching the bodies, find the corpse of the Legion Decanus and carry it to the drawbridge where you entered the area from. Drop the body and activate the drawbridge, which takes you to the outer area of The Fort. Immediately turn around and go through the drawbridge again. Check the body of the Decanus and he should have his weapon, ammunition, armor, and the spent shell casings he was carrying even if you had already cleared off his body. Repeat as many times as desired. Also works with all other human non-player characters in the area with the exception of the Praetorian Guard.
- On the quest Come Fly With Me after informing Jason Bright that you've gotten rid of the nightkin and everyone runs to the basement, a Bright follower in a Space Suit will walk instead of run when they're in the basement. If you kill him before he gets to the rockets you will be able to get a second Space Suit. When you comeback after finding the thrust modules and rocket fuel, and Jason gives his speech go back to the bright followers corpse and another space suit will have spawned on it.
- If a perk has a required skill level (e.g. Animal friend has a Survival requirement of 45), allocate your skill points to the number required, select the desired perk and return to the Skill point allocation screen. You can now reset your points and put them to whatever you want - the perk is still selected even though you no longer meet the requirement.
Double or Extra perks
- It is possible to obtain a total of 28 perks on your character. The easiest way (on Xbox and Pc) to do this is to kill the mantises in the Goodsprings School and collect their legs(as listed above in the XP exploits section), and then find an Arthropod wasteland creature in Goodsprings and kill it then move the legs between the player character and the creature. This generates a lot of Exp a lot faster than the second method and does not affect faction standing. Once at the level cap, travel far enough away from the town until you are given the option to rebuild your character. By selecting yes, you are put back to level one and all stats will be reset, but most (not all) of your perks will still be with you. You will then immediately reach the level cap a second time, allowing you to choose more perks to add to your character. There is an In-Depth YouTube Tutorial in the mantis Leg Swapping Infinite Experience section.
- Another method is achieved by using the infinite speech glitch during the Run Goodsprings Run quest (see Run Goodsprings Run section), you can reach level 30 before leaving Goodsprings. Once at level 30, travel far enough away from the town until you are given the option to rebuild your character. By selecting yes, you are put back to level one and all stats will be reset, but most (not all) of your perks will still be with you. You will then immediately reach level 30 a second time, allowing you to choose 15 more perks to add to your character.
- If you don't want to start the game at max level, it is of course possible to exploit the glitch to any level you like in order to pick up a few extra perks, e.g. to level 10 for 5 bonus perks, 20 for 10 etc.
- Any level 6+ perk can be used in this exploit. The 4th and 2nd level perks are lost, with the exception of Cannibal. Also, the Dead Money Perks "Light Touch", "Old World Gourmet", "In Shining Armor", and "Junk Rounds" do not seem to be lost if chosen at level 2 and 4.
- Confirmed Perks that stay when doing this glitch:
- Action Boy/Girl
- Adamantium Skeleton
- Ain't Like That Now (Lonesome Road)
- Alertness (Lonesome Road)
- And Stay Back! (Dead Money)
- Animal Friend
- Atomic! (Old World Blues)
- Better Criticals
- Bloody Mess
- Broad Daylight (Lonesome Road)
- Burden to Bear (Lonesome Road)
- Center of Mass
- Certified Tech (Lonesome Road)
- Chem Resistant
- Computer Whiz
- Concentrated Fire
- Demolitions Expert
- Eye for Eye (Honest Hearts)
- Fast Metabolism
- Ferocious Loyalty
- Fight the Power! (Honest Hearts)
- Fortune Finder
- Ghastly Scavenger
- Grim Reapers Sprint
- Grunt (Honest Hearts)
- Hand Loader
- Heavyweight (Dead Money)
- Here and Now
- Hit the Deck
- Home on the Range (Honest Hearts)
- Implant GRX (Old World Blues)
- In Shining Armor (Dead Money)
- Irradiated Beauty (Lonesome Road)
- Jury Rigging
- Just Lucky I'm Alive (Lonesome Road)
- Laser Commander
- Lead Belly
- Lessons Learned (Lonesome Road)
- Life Giver
- Light Step
- Light Touch (Dead Money)
- Living Anatomy
- Long Haul
- Mad Bomber (Gun Runners Arsenal)
- Math Wrath
- Mile In Their Shoes (Old World Blues)
- Miss Fortune
- Mister Sandman
- Mysterious Stranger
- Nerd Rage!
- Nerves of Steel
- Night Person
- Nuka Chemist
- Old World Gourmet (Dead Money)
- Pack Rat
- Paralyzing Palm
- Piercing Strike
- Plasma Spaz
- Quick Draw
- Rad Absorption
- Rad Resistance
- Robotics Expert
- Roughin' It (Lonesome Road)
- Shotgun Surgeon
- Silent Running
- Sneering Imperialist (Honest Hearts)
- Solar Powered
- Splash Damage
- Spray ‘n Pray
- Strong Back
- Super Slam!
- Terrifying Presence
- The Professional
- Them's Good Eatin' (Old World Blues)
- Thought You Died (Lonesome Road)
- Tribal Wisdom (Honest Hearts)
- Tunnel Runner (Lonesome Road)
- Unstoppable Force
- Vigilant Recycler
- Voracious Reader (Lonesome Road)
- Walker Instinct (Lonesome Road)
- Weapon Handling
- In the middle of battle, talk to your companion. Select the "Stay at a Distance/Stay Close" option twice, then exit the companion wheel. When you exit, your companion's health should be fully restored (although sometimes it requires the command to be pressed rapidly four or five times).
- Increased companion weight limit: Give any companion that is near their maximum weight limit a small portion of ammunition. You can then give them another small portion of that same ammunition, and they'll still be able to carry it even if they go over the weight limit. For example, ED-E is at 200/210 weight and you have 20 missiles (weight of 3). You can give ED-E 3 missiles, which puts him at 209, then give him more missiles in sets of 2 until you're out of missiles, putting him at 260, but it displays it as 210/210. You do not lose any items, but taking off weight will leave your companion at their max weight until their actual weight is below their max weight.
- 100% Critical Chance for companions: Give any companion capable of wearing different hats (Boone, Raul, Arcade) a 1st Recon Beret and in the companion wheel toggle between Ranged and Melee attack mode 19 times to add the 5% critical chance bonus from the beret 20 times. This will cause all weapons used by your companion to critically hit with every shot and this effect will not be removed until the companion removes the beret.
All humanoid companions in your party
- Recruit Veronica Santangelo at the 188 Trading Post and visit the sites that trigger her quest I Could Make You Care. When the third trigger trips and Veronica opens dialogue with you, tell her "Not now." Then fire her and send her back to the 188. Hire any other companion, go back to Veronica, ask her what she wanted to talk about earlier, and when she requests that you take her to Hidden Valley, tell her to go by herself, and decline with the first negative response. You will know when you have chosen the correct option if you get a notification saying you have lost Veronicas "Scribe Assistant" perk as if you just fired her again, even though she was never hired to begin with. This will open another companion slot. You can hire another companion, go back to Veronica and redo the preceding steps, and open another one, repeating until all humanoid companions are hired, ending with Veronica.
- A related bug with this is being able to take humanoid companion to add-on areas. The only ones that get left behind are your "active" companions (humanoid and non-humanoid). You can check to see which companion is active by entering the penthouse in the Lucky 38. You can take any companions that follow you into the penthouse into DLCs, including Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Old World Blues.
- You can use the related bug described above to bring your equipment into Dead Money by giving your desired equipment to the companion(s) that you know is not an "active" companion before triggering the Sierra Madre abduction sequence. Your "non-active" companion(s) will journey with you to the Sierra Madre and when you finish speaking to Father Elijah you can retrieve all your equipment from your companion(s). Note: on PS3, sometimes only one non-active companion will follow you. The others will be dismissed.
- Nonactive companions will not be stripped of weapons when entering casinos. WARNING: on ps3, all companions will be stripped of weapons, and only the weapons of one will go into storage. The weapons of "extra" companions will be lost forever, including any unique weapons they may be holding.
- While visiting The Fort for the first time if you leave ED-E and Arcade Gannon in "wait" mode in an area such as Goodsprings with weapons..etc. Upon exiting the Tent of Caesar you will find Arcade Gannon waiting out front with all the weapons...etc. you left on him. Allowing for an easier way to complete Challenges such as Historical Propriety, Against All Tyrants and Even a God-King Can Bleed.
- Flame damage (damage over time) kills do not count against your karma.
- Just like in Fallout 3, you attack an opponent and not kill it then have a companion finish it off and no karma will be lost. (most of the time)
- Using some doors in Freeside, such as the East Gate or shops, will count as an Energy Weapon kill upon loading of the entered area; a message will appear counting the killing of an enemy using an Energy Weapon, allowing for easy completing of Energy Weapons-related challenges, and so achieving the XP you would normally earn upon completion of the challenge.
- An easy way to get the pickpocket achievement is, in Vault 21 you can keep pickpocketing the people staying in the hotel below. When the inventory menu pops up, you can select their items but it will never leave their inventory. once you exit the menu you can keep pickpocketing the same person over and over without actually getting any items. It is recommended that you save every 3 to 5 steals because there is still the chance of getting caught and not being able to steal from that person anymore, and losing The Strip and NCR faction rep. 1 Stealth Boy could make this even easier than it already is.
- While doing the quest Ant Misbehavin', if you plant and activate the Sonic Emitter given to you by Loyal, any ants killed by the Emitter will count as kills with whatever weapon you currently have equipped.
- While visiting The Fort for the first time if you leave ED-E and Arcade Gannon in "wait" mode in an area such as Goodsprings with weapons..etc. Upon exiting the Tent of Caesar you will find Arcade Gannon waiting out front with all the weapons...etc. you left on him. Allowing for an easier way to complete Challenges such as Historical Propriety, Against All Tyrants and Even a God-King Can Bleed.
Artificial Intelligence flaws
- The artificial Intelligence governing deathclaws is unable to correctly determine when a player is within reach.
- For example, in Quarry Junction, deathclaws do not attack players when they are mounted on the taller rocks or machinery, even when they are in reach. This flaw in the deathclaw AI can be exploited to safely kill the alpha male and deathclaw mother even at lower levels. However, when deathclaws are actively pursuing the player onto rocks or machinery, they will recognize the player as within their reach, allowing them to attack.
The player can use barrels to kill people. Simply find an empty barrel and push it against a non-player character. The non-player character will lose some health and the barrel will be sent flying. This can be repeated multiple times to kill someone. The person or others will not be aggressive when hit or killed. This allows lower level players to get armor and weaponry without karma loss or hostility. Note that you will also take some damage, but very little.
Gaining access to Legate's camp
- This point of interest can be reached early (pre-endgame) by getting out of the map near Bloodborne Cave and running around to the south/southwest side of Legate's Camp and its cliffs until you reach a sandy hillside which will pretty clearly lead to above Legate's Camp (some fun can be had from these clifftops sniping the unsuspecting Legionnaries/Praetorians below). Then follow the clifftops down to near the Legate's tent (the tent at the top of the winding staircase) & reach the cliff point as close to the center of the camp as possible. This will trigger your Pip-Boy as having discovered the location, allowing you to fast-travel to and from the camp as you wish. Traveling this route can make you get stuck because of the invisible walls.
- Another way to enter this location early is to access it from the Dam directly. In order to do this you will need a lot of 5mm ammunition (this requires 5mm Staircases to be built). Walk across the dam along your left in the direction you would to the legate camp, until you come to a point where you can jump off the side (try to aim for the water). Once you hit the water, continue to proceed in that direction until you hit land again, and proceed along the wall until the wall meets a sloped surface and you can move no further. From here, you should build your first staircase out of the 5mm boxes. This is simple and should take no more than a minute. Once you get over this sloped surface, you'll see a huge drain. work your way down into that drain until you hit the bottom. Immediately looking to your left, you'll see a ladder. Go over to the ladder, climb it, and you will be on top of the drain across from where you originally were. From here, move along the outskirts of the top of the drain until you are at the road/bridge leading out of the dam. From here, just follow the main road uphill towards the legate camp. Keep moving until you hit the first of 3 gates. Use your 5mm boxes to hop all 3 (which is extremely frustrating and time consuming), and you'll be in. At the second gate, if you look to your right, you'll see a slope and to the left of it is a rock that you can get onto. Jump on the slope, drop a 5mm round and push it into the corner near the rock. Jump onto it and you will get onto the rock. You can get over the next two gates if you stick to the edge. You will most likely run into 3 legion soldiers, 2 on the other side of the wall, armed with a rifle and an axe. After that, outside the camp walls, you will run into a guard armed with a ballistic fist. By killing him and taking his attire, you will be disguised from the 15-20 legion soldiers, including the guards. Once you make it inside this camp, you will be able to fast travel in and out as you please. Unfortunately, you will not be able to kill the end boss as he is not present until the last mission.
- In order to do this you will need at least one companion, lots of stimpaks, an unarmed weapon like the power fist or zap glove, and not be playing on hardcore mode. First take your companion to the location you want to get out of(must be an angled wall or cliff)then you push them as close to the wall as you can. Next you will use your power fist and punch them towards the wall making them slightly go up it. Then you will use your fists and go into V.A.T.S. and target your companion, hitting them once which should bring you right next to them (make sure to heal them after this step or they will get knocked out and you will have to start this exploit over again). Then you reequip your power fist again hitting them farther up the wall and repeat the V.A.T.S. step to get farther up the wall and continue doing those steps to get up over the wall. Works great on the east side right behind the main dam part of Hoover Dam to get to the Legate's Camp.
If you press grab just a few milliseconds after jump standing on a piece of armor you can jump on it repeatably to get high off the ground. This glitch can be used to get to out of bounds, or places you are not supposed to be able to, like Legate's Camp. While this glitch is undoubtedly harder on the consoles, it is not fixed as the Xbox 360 status had suggested. It simply requires very precise timing.
Complimentary Voucher Stacking
After having completed the Dead Money add-on, you are given 100 Sierra Madre chips and a "Complimentary voucher" in a drop-box in the Abandoned BoS bunker every three days. Much like the paintbrush in Oblivion, these complimentary vouchers do not suffer the effects of gravity and will stay in mid-air where you had dropped them. This is much easier on the consoles than armor hopping, and you can have an unlimited supply of complimentary vouchers by simply returning to the bunker every 3 days.
Pip-Boy speed-boost glitch
It is possible to get a movement speed boost by equipping a revolver, then activating the Pip-Boy. As shown in the AGDQ2017 speedrun, this causes the courier to move forward at a high speed, and can even launch the courier into the air.
Note these exploits can still be used, but you have to delete the latests patches to do so. However, doing so may cause complications with the game and save files used. Also doing so may reset the add-on and its content, meaning you may have to redo Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, or Lonesome Road.
Mantis Leg Swapping Infinite Experience
- By far the fastest way to gain XP and advance in levels, whether or not one intends to also engage in the Double Perks exploit, is via the exploitation of the mantis foreleg XP glitch, which awards XP when moving mantis forelegs from ones inventory into a 'container' and vice versa.
- It is first available in Goodsprings immediately after starting the game, and before leaving the tutorial area and finalizing character information. Its application is by no means limited to this venue, but it does carry the benefit of additional perks when applied at the stated earliest opportunity. Otherwise it is still an expeditious method of XP accumulation in any event.
The process works as follows:
- First, Acquire mantis forelegs by killing giant mantises inside the Goodsprings schoolhouse.
- Then find a container object (almost any container will work, not just insect corpses).
- Once a container is found and you are suitably prepared, swap the mantis foreleg(s) into and then back out of said container.
- The XP awarded will vary, but can regularly exceed 100 XP per swap. Repeatedly and rapidly swapping back and forth even a single mantis foreleg to and from an empty container can easily generate many thousands of XP per minute. This process is most effective when only mantis forelegs are in your inventory, and the container is empty. The process can be further streamlined by preparing ahead of time and using only a single mantis foreleg.
Note, only the first mantis foreleg moved to a container from your inventory will register XP. Also if dropped on the ground, the legs may no longer be able able to award XP. If they are later placed into the corpse of an insect again, they will be reflagged to award XP once more.
- Placing the mantis forelegs into an insect that awards a higher amount of XP(such as a giant radscorpion) is very advantageous as it flags the mantis foreleg(s) to the XP value of the last insect it was removed from.
Gomorrah infinite experience
- After completing How Little We Know through the "good" path, you can stand above Big Sal's body and repeatedly punch his dead body. Each punch is worth a base of 50 XP. Patched Fallout: New Vegas patch 220.127.116.115
That Lucky Old Sun
- During That Lucky Old Sun, if the Courier chooses "Full Region (Emergency Output Level)", the dialogue option with Ignacio Rivas to turn in the quest is not removed upon completion. This allows you to repeatedly obtain 350xp, 3 stimpaks, and 2 doctor's bags.
- After the Casino opens in Primm, when you choose to cash your chips in, no chips are removed from your inventory even though you are given currency for the chips. The player can cash chips in indefinitely for an infinite amount of NCR currency, Legion currency, or caps.
- Targeting someone in V.A.T.S., then simply leaving V.A.T.S. while using the anti-materiel rifle with incendiary rounds will cause your target to catch fire and take damage without causing aggression from friendly non-player characters including the one that caught fire or those watching.