The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
I'm in charge. This whole operation depends on me. No Fantastic, no power. Got the whole NCR suckling my teats, and it feels so good.”— Fantastic
Fantastic is an immature, egotistical con artist who was recruited by the NCR because they required technical experts to work on the HELIOS One power plant. When asked, he claimed to know as much about solar power as anyone he knew, and also boasted a "theoretical degree" in physics. Miraculously, this was enough to fool the NCR recruiters and he was given the position.
Since arriving at Helios One, Fantastic, through his incompetence and full of himself attitude, has done nothing to repair Helios One. However, he's been instilling the belief that he's essential to the operations at Helios One in order to keep from being fired and to gain as much money from the NCR as possible to fuel his chem addiction. Though a few have seen through his lies for the idiot he really is.
Even though Fantastic has accomplished very little in his time at Helios, he has properly identified a couple of problems that he has yet to fix, like the outside mirrors being aligned improperly. For months he has been working on a single console, assuming that the biggest console is the most important, which, unbeknownst to him, is the console for the Helios' intercom system.
If told that he doesn't know what he's doing, Fantastic disagrees and insists that he knows exactly what he's doing, he just doesn't know what effect it has. When asked to elaborate on his working environment, his explanation starts promisingly enough - "That console there controls the main power grid." - but soon degenerates, ending with "That slot over there makes sparks when you put stuff in it."
His fellow technician Ignacio Rivas has been purposely keeping Fantastic, and by extension the NCR, in the dark in order to keep Fantastic from knowing as much about Helios One as possible and to keep him from learning about ARCHIMEDES II.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- That Lucky Old Sun: The player has to confront Fantastic for the beginning of the quest.
Effects of the player's actions
- If Archimedes II is activated, Fantastic will be irate with the player because they "killed his paycheck."
- If the player chooses to kill the NCR in That Lucky Old Sun and leave Fantastic alive, upon returning they will find that Fantastic will be wearing Legion armor and will have killed Ignacio Rivas. If they then talk to him he will say "Hey man, when in Rome".
- Alternatively, if the player chooses to side with the NCR, Fantastic can be found at Hoover Dam. He gets a promotion to the position of "God Damn Dam God" in his own words.
- When first meeting Fantastic the player can state he's here to replace him. Fantastic gets worried and tells the player that he needs this job for his chem addiction, and with a speech check of 25 the player can get 100 caps from Fantastic for not taking his job.
- If killed after completing That Lucky Old Sun, an NCR guard will remark "Maybe that guy Fantastic wasn't an idiot, maybe he was a genius," when exiting the facility. Note: This does not make the NCR hostile towards you, nor does it affect NCR reputation.
Legion recruit armor
|Western reflector control terminal password|
Drops on death
- "Fuck, man. I push buttons, I turn dials, I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean. Like one time I imagined they were a code to get into a vault full of naked women. Man, how cool would that be?"
- "We're getting power because the guy running this place is Fantastic. No Fantastic, no power. Got the whole NCR suckling my teats, and it feels so good."
- "They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard."
- "We're operating at one percent efficiency, and I guess that isn't good enough for some assholes."
- "No, man. I know exactly what I'm doing, I just don't know what effect it's going to have. That console over there controls the main power grid, that button there makes a crazy noise, and if you put stuff in that slot sparks come out..."
- "I look so good in this shit, I want you to call me Fucking Spectacular from now on."
- "Newsflash. Fantastic is irreplaceable."
- "Shh. You feel that? That's the winds of change, baby, and Fantastic's riding them with his magic angel wings."
- "People come to me to resolve their disputes with my wisdom. Like, hey Fantastic, who gets to keep this doodad we found? Or, yo, Fantastic, when will you accept that you're the father of my child? It's crazy."
Fantastic appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "[Science] I notice your solar tower isn't collecting much sunlight. I can help."
Haggerty: "No need. We already have an expert hard at work on it. Then again... our expert is an idiot. Hell, he might as well be a saboteur. I guess you couldn't do any worse. Have him fill you in on the details. He's in the back of the building. You'll know him when you see him. Keeps his sunglasses on all the time, even when he's sleeping. Idiot."
- The Courier: "The NCR doesn't know about the weapon?"
Ignacio Rivas: "Not yet. By some miracle they've hired an imbecile to try and decipher the systems here. He's spent months working at one console trying to get the solar reflectors to track the sun. What he doesn't know is that the only thing the console controls is the plant's intercom system. I tried to tell him, but he insisted that the largest console had to be the most important. Still, it's only a matter of time."
(Ignacio Rivas' dialogue)