In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
A small settlement on the northeastern tip of the island, Far Harbor is the last bastion of humanity on the Island. Once, the entire Mount Desert Island was colonized by humans, but following the return and radical expansion of the radioactive fog that blankets the island, wildlife and radioactive hazards pushed the humans back to the dock. Once the sole property of The Mariner, it was turned into a fortified location surrounded by a massive defensive wall called the Hull, and remains the only landing point available to mainlanders wishing to brave the dangers of the region. Furthermore, a network of fog condensers provided by Acadia surrounds the settlement and ensures that the fog does not take it over.
The majority of the town's residents are exceptionally conservative, valuing their longstanding tradition of living off the land and the sea. Since time in memoriam, the leader of the town has donned the mantle of "Captain" to remember their roots as sailors and fishermen. However, the town's current Captain, Avery, is slightly more liberal than the other residents, only wanting peace for her people.
But the people of Far Harbor are woefully suspicious and quick to distrust outsiders. The town remains at war with the Children of Atom ever since Allen Lee murdered their last missionary, who came to the town preaching the fog's divine nature and stating, flatly, that the town's destiny is to be wiped out. This proved to be the final straw to the people of Far Harbor, as years later the Children of Atom were banished from the town for their poisonous beliefs, growing evermore militant.
Far Harbor is small and compact, built on a dock jutting out into the Narrows. At its terminus lies The Last Plank, the finest (and only) tavern on the island, with the docks to the south. In the center lie Brooks' and Allen Lee's shops, offering goods to survivalist, as well as a giant crab boiler. Brook's shop also holds a clinic in the back, with a chemistry station, and Allen's shop holds weapons and armor workbenches, as well as is a power armor station beside it.
The outer sections of Far Harbor, beyond the condenser line, are abandoned, with trappers and other wildlife typically occupying the areas beyond.
Far Harbor Ruins
If the town's fog condensers are turned off as part of Cleansing the Land, the town will the thrown into chaos. The town's defenses mean nothing to the anglers, fog crawlers and gulpers that run wild through the town, now burned and destroyed.
- The Far Harbor Sightseer's Guide edition of Islander's Almanac is inside The Last Plank, on Old Longfellow's table.
- The Sole Survivor: "Why doesn't anyone help you?"
The Mariner: "Each Harborman is the captain of his own ship. Worked fine for generations on the homesteads. Your land, your rules. But when the island pushed them onto my dock, one-by-one, the ungrateful bastards expect me to look after "my land." Even though they're squatting on it, like wretches."
(The Mariner's dialogue)
- The Mariner: "Everyone's always ripping into me about the Hull. But without my walls, all of us would've been killed long ago."
(The Mariner's dialogue)
- The Sole Survivor: "You're keeping Far Harbor safe, is that it?"
DiMA: "Not exactly. They're fiercely independent, but the Fog was starting to choke more and more of the island, so I proposed a trade. We would give them the technology to keep the Fog at bay, in return for them being a lifeline to the outside world. A safe dock and a place to buy supplies. Unfortunately, the Children of Atom view the radioactive fog as a holy portent, and their bloodied history with Far Harbor puts us at odds."
- Far Harbor loading screen hints: "Descended from sailors and fishermen, the leader of Far Harbor has always held the title of "Captain."
- The Sole Survivor: "Sounds like you should deal with the Children of Atom. Permanently."
Allen Lee: "The mainlander sees the sense in all this."
Avery: "I will do everything in my power to keep the peace here. So go, Allen."
(Allen Lee's and Avery's dialogue)
- Far Harbor loading screen hints: "The people of Far Harbor distrust outsiders, but particularly hate the Children of Atom, a cult who worships the radioactive fog that's slowly killing the island."
- The Sole Survivor: "What's the deal with the Children of Atom?"
Avery: "They're religious folk. Worship the power of Atom. Which is... radiation, I guess? If you want details you'd have to find and ask them. We used to have a peace with them, until a certain hothead menace named Allen Lee-"
Allen Lee: "Now, that's enough. That preacher came into the Harbor saying that it was Atom's will that we lost our land."
Avery: "Allen pulled a gun on him. He claims the preacher reached for his. We don't have police. Or really any law. Just custom and popular sentiment. And after everything the preacher said, it was abundantly clear doing anything to Allen would've made matters worse."
- Far Harbor loading screen hints: "Many Children of Atom missionaries have been exiled or killed by the people of Far Harbor over the years. The bloodshed has only succeeded in making the Children more militant."