Flags of Our Foul-Ups is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
9th Platoon, better known as The Misfits, have a poor reputation (hence their nickname), and Sergeant McCredie wants them whipped into shape.
- Speak to Sergeant McCredie at Camp Golf. He will reveal that he's trying to train the troops stationed at Camp Golf to make proper soldiers. He has not had much success, so he welcomes any aid.
- The player then has to speak to the members of the Misfits (Mags, O'Hanrahan, Poindexter and Razz) in their tent, listen to their suggestions and follow through with one. Once deciding on a course of action, it's locked in, as Mags believes them to be too lazy to do multiple training exercises. The conversations tied to the
- O'Hanrahan suggests focusing on teamwork and strengthening the platoon's relationships: a Speech of 40 is required to convince the other three to follow O'Hanrahan's advice. This results in a good ending for the Misfits, where they fight valiantly and serve with distinction.
- Mags suggests focusing on combat training: a Guns and Explosives skill of 45 is required to pass the platoon through the training exercises. This also results in a good ending.
- Poindexter suggests cheating the system: Accessing a terminal in the House Lodge will allow the alteration of the platoon's progress reports. One is out in the open and must be accessed with no one looking, while another is in a secluded office, but requires a Science of 75. This results in a bad ending for the Misfits, where they break formation, flee, and are hanged for desertion.
- Razz suggests loading the platoon up on "angry juice" which can be obtained from Jack at Red Rock Canyon who gives the Courier a suspicious package. This results in another bad ending, as while they prove to be ferocious fighters, they eventually start preying on the people of the wasteland for their chem fix.
|1|| ||Talk to the Misfits about improving their squad.|
|2|| ||Help the Misfits improve their shooting skills.|
|3|| ||Convince Mags to respect the squad and work with them.|
|4|| ||Convince Razz to respect the squad and work with them.|
|5|| ||Convince Poindexter to respect the squad and work with them.|
|6||Return to O'Hanrahan.|
|7|| ||Fake the Misfits' readiness reports.|
|8|| ||Get drugs from Jack at Red Rock Canyon.|
Behind the scenes
- The title of this quest is a reference to the 2000 book, Flags of Our Fathers.
- There's a cut terminal that would've allowed the player to take another path of deleting the mission orders for the Misfits. While this would at first seem like a good way to get them out of work, it would then lead to them being assigned to a suicide mission.
Mags' script may freeze at the gun range if the squad members' pathfinding bugs out. Reloading an autosave before they're directed to the range can help.
- No, Not Much, otherwise the Misfits' pathing will break. The quest has to be completed before
It's impossible to finish this quest if you've started it before , then finish No Not Much first, as the Misfits are no longer there to line up.
It's possible for the Misfits to bunch up at the firing range and become injured or kill each other with the grenades and rifle fire.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|