Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
Fort Abandon (Van Buren)
|For the Fort Abandon that is mentioned in Lonesome Road, see Fort Abandon.|
Fort Abandon (originally Fort Aradesh) is a rundown New California Republic Army military installation on the frontier.
Fort Aradesh was once a major Army fort on the frontier, until it was destroyed by the Legion in an attempt to undermine the NCR's control over the region. The operation succeeded and the New Californian Army was forced to withdraw.
As the crossroads of a railway network the Fort could've been upgraded into a major player base. Non-player characters would travel to the location to meet the player (like Alexandra from Mesa Verde) or find characters tied to other locations, like Ivan or the Burned Man.
During the game, the player could apparently invite an NCR contingent to the Fort (or have it taken over), which would lead to Colonel Green declaring it a threat to the ghouls of the Reservation. The player could cooperate with Green and lead to the Fort being destroyed with Nuclear Nellie. Other interactions would include the player being confronted by various factions at the Fort, like tribals from the Legion, accusing the player of killing their slaves and demanding restitution.
Fort Abandon did not appear in any of the published games, but was to appear in the cancelled Fallout 3 project by Black Isle codenamed Van Buren. If the player so chose, he could slowly upgrade the fort into a center of prosperity.
- Mesa Verde design document/2
- Jericho design document/1
- No Mutants Allowed posts on Van Buren: "The Hanged Man is wrapped from head to toe in bandages because he's pretty much burned all over. The fact that he's still quite mobile and dangerous is a testament to his badassness. When the PC finds him, he's hanging by the neck from a pole at Fort Abandon, a central Shady Sands-type area in FO3. He's pissed and very much alive, and will tag along with the PC if the PC cuts him down."
- Reservation design document/4
- Blackfoot Tribe design document/2