Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
Forum:Feature vote - Chat
As the chat feature has now been active for a trial period of two weeks, I'm calling a vote to decide whether it should remain active or be disabled again. Please leave your votes below; means you'd like the feature to be kept, means you'd prefer it to be disabled. -- Porter21 (talk) 21:13, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
Poll finished on July 25, 2011.
A consensus must be reached by voting before any action is taken.
- gears of duty A nice feature overall.
- SaintPain → That was broke a'fore I got here! 22:40, July 18, 2011 (UTC) It is a great place to meet our fellow editors & get quick answears & offer advice.
- —Preceding unsigned comment added by Supermutantslayer450 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~! I'm not too sure. On one hand, we already have an IRC for the wiki. However, the IRC is pretty much dead all the time (at least every time I've been there recently), whereas it seems like the wiki chat is pretty alive. Personally, I think the wiki chat is rather pointless, what with the IRC and all. So, for poll's sake, I'm voting against it. But I really don't care.
- Scar: "Say 'ello to my little friend!" 21:25, July 18, 2011 (UTC) I think that it's a good addition to the site, but the compatibility issues caould bear taking a look at. Anyway, I disagree with gears, what he sees as argument, I see as debate and discussion. In my opinion, everything should be debated and looked at critically. Sometimes there are madmen in the chat, but more often than not, the admins handle 'em.
- http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/08/Personal_Sig_Image.gif Tagaziel (call!) 21:31, July 18, 2011 (UTC) Definitely a good feature, anything that helps build the community, even a little bit, is good in my book.
- Kris 21:33, July 18, 2011 (UTC) While we do have the IRC channel, it seems to have developed its own community separate from the wiki. This chat will always be a part of the wiki because it's literally built in. --
- Almighty Higgey The users who frequent the chat are very pleasant and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the chat room. There is an admin there about 90% of the time and they are quick deal with any troublemakers. The chat is almost always civil and a topic, whether it be pertaining to Fallout or not, is always being discussed. The chat is also a good way for users to form connections with each other. This wiki is driven by a community, therefore, all who are part of said community should be on good terms with each other.
- BILLYOCEAN 21:35, July 18, 2011 (UTC) The chat can be a hostile place, but I think overall it provides a lot of benefits for the Vault. Users can quickly and reliably get in touch for admins for whatever reasons, new users can come to the chat and get help with their problems, and its an excellent place to discuss edit conflicts and problems with pages in real time, without waiting for the back and forth involved in talkpage messages. As someone else said, the chat can sometimes provide a forum for endless and usually stupid debates, and sometimes a persistent troll or spammer can take over, but about 95% of the time the chat is moderated and these issues are dealt with. Also, the chat is a great tool for building a sense of community here at the Vault. I've used the chat to get to know users I already had a relationship with better, and I've become friends with users I normally never would have interacted with. I say yes.
- It's a great feature, a good place to ask fellow players if you have a question, a good place, in fact the only place I know to chat with fellow Fallout players. Everyone is friendly and it's definetley a feature that should stay.-MachoFern 21:45, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
- Dr.Pibb 21:56, July 18, 2011 (UTC) I belive it's a great feature, it provides helpful info, discussions, and brings vault users together as a community, plus it's just a good time.
- RASIC Talk User blog:Crazy sam10|Poll 21:57, July 18, 2011 (UTC) It's a great and fun feature, yuo can talk about anything, and if Fallout help is needed the ability to post hyperlinks is very helpful, not many spammers/vandals, and even so they are dealt with quickly. -
- Scavenger of the Wasteland 22:00, July 18, 2011 (UTC) I don't use it, but I do think that it is a nice feature to our vault.--
- EB683 I have enjoyed my time using the Vault chat. It is a great feature for people who have questions and need help or just want to talk about Fallout.
- Richie9999 22:45, July 18, 2011 (UTC) I have enjoyed the chat feature. I would like to see some permanent chat mods to keep people in chat in line. Its nice though it brings some of the community together, allows one to consult one of the admins that is typically there about various questions in regards to the wiki.
- Shadowrunner(stuff) 00:42, July 19, 2011 (UTC) It's a nice little thing to have if you want to do quick chat with more then 1 user instead of sending a message. I say keep it.
- Clean Up 02:13, July 19, 2011 (UTC) I personally never use it, but see no reason why it should be removed. It seems very useful in getting quick responses.
- Nashorn1127 10:31, July 19, 2011 (UTC) I think the chat feature is great to be able to talk with fellow fans and editors. Gives us a nice break to intereact with each other away from the anons too haha
- 55px 19:38, July 19, 2011 (UTC) The chat should stay, even I don't use. Cone was here
- KnowledgeProspector 01:14, July 20, 2011 (UTC) Chat's been an enjoyable feature, and it keeps me in the wiki more often. It's a good way to ask quick questions, or just talk about the game in general. Aside from discussing the game, it's also great to talk to folks that are into the same game. Definitely a feature that should be kept worthwhile.
- Primmslimshady 05:05, July 20, 2011 (UTC) i like it :)
- Saxony4 09:08, July 20, 2011 (UTC) I use it from time to time.
- Yakov 11:09, July 20, 2011 (UTC) Of course. Great feature that allows to chat, get some info and pretty much have fun. --
- —Preceding unsigned comment added by NZSF (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~! Its always fun to chat well you look on the web.
- 05:58, July 21, 2011 (UTC) I think that it is a good way to get quick advice or inform an admin of an issue, rather than to leave a message on a talk page and hope they see it. It also encourages people to make an account, meaning we have more logged-in members around here.
- 06:00, July 21, 2011 (UTC) I don't use it much, but whenever I need someones help with something, I can always go there and get it.
- ToCxHawK 18:19, July 21, 2011 (UTC) I think think its a great idea but it can also lag and fail at times but i say yes
- Nightshifter777 10:12 July 21, 2011 I like it, its a really good thing for the community
- DarthOrc 07:29, July 22, 2011 (UTC)DarthOrc Though most of the chat I have read so far has bordered on the infantile, it should remain. I don't have to read it, so let those who enjoy it have it.
- Gothic Neko 16:24, July 23, 2011 (UTC) Useful addition to the community, a lot of peoples questions are being awnsered quickly and efficiently through the chat and it stops 'unwanted' members of the vault vandalising through standard Anon means. Also I think it encourages more people to sign up so they can use the chat feature, but that is just an observation on my part.
- JeanLuc69 13:50, July 24, 2011 (UTC) The chat is a useful addition to The Vault as a community. If chatting does not cost anyone extra money due to increased bandwidth, it should absolutely be continued.
- Jspoel 13:33, July 24, 2011 (UTC) A slightly different vote, to mark the downside a bit. The chatfeature has become a popular and helped to build a closer community. People have gotten to know each other a little better, on the other hand, disagreements have the chance to heat up more. Another issue is that it attracts (active) users away from article editing and it's the question if we want that. But reading the comments above, probably the positives outweigh the negatives.
Since compatibility issues have been brought up a couple of times; please keep in mind that chat is still a beta feature, i.e. such issues are to be expected to a certain degree and are still being worked on (according to what I've heard). Just to mention it. -- Porter21 (talk) 21:28, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
- I am aware. Another nice addition, now that this is brought up, would be seperate chatrooms. Just my two cents. Scar: "Say 'ello to my little friend!" 21:30, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
Re: Scarface11235's vote
@Scarface I never like discussions, just makes my blood pressure go sky-high =P. Anyway, I think I will change my vote a little, as I have changed my mind. gears of duty
- Yes, it auto-refreshes for me. Which browser are you using? I've only used Firefox (4 and 5) with it. --Kris 22:12, July 18, 2011 (UTC)