Forum:Sister Wiki request - The Vault Armory
With the current influx of custom images alot of User page images where created, due to the 5 UP image policy (One I am currently breaking) A new wikia was founded by Valoopy to handle all the custom weapons and allow actual pages for them, instead of sandboxes. Whilst this is Fanon most of the guns orginate from Fallout and having a close bond would allow other users to be aware of the other wiki so they know where to go to upload their custom content, and where to ask for commisions. link here. - Crazy Sam10 Talk User blog:Crazy sam10|Poll 17:58, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
I don't see why not, Plus we could get more users over there, hopfully with coding knowledge. It also clears up the custom weapon spam, so again, it all works out. Pat:3 18:00, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
- Seen as there is a new trend toward custom weapon making, I think that this would be a decent idea as the users are the same and it will unclog the image feed.
I'm 100% agree with that ;), it's a nice idea and allow everyone to make fan weapons (and may be later fan art of all types) and share them in tranquility and with a good atmosphere. Itachou [~talk~] 22:36, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
- We do plan on expanding a bit, if someone want to make creatures or NPCs we can cater to that, it's just so far no ones made one. - Crazy Sam10 Talk User blog:Crazy sam10|Poll 22:39, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
- I agree as it would help stop the uploading of non-wikia pictures, and as Guardian said above, unclog the image feed.-LawdyMissMaudy 01:35, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
As founder of the Armory, I just wanted to say it's not going to be a weapons dumping grounds. Once we get asuitable amount of users, we want to have things like contests, weapon of the month, etc. It'll be a fun site, give us some time to get it really going. -- ☢Valoopy☣ 01:50, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
Poll finished on August 19, 2011.
A consensus must be reached by voting before any action is taken.
Edit: I will add this, the pages need to follow at least some guideline rather than the users dumping the images into an infobox and then doing another and leaving it empty. It looks poor. I think this needs to be addressed because Ausir, and everyone else, puts a lot of work into these wikis, and the Armory would be letting the side down if this isn't addressed. I will change my vote to no if this isn't in the process of being remedied by Friday.I think that it will be fun for many users, and will also mean that their images are not confined to their user pages.
RAM 18:26, August 12, 2011 (UTC)I really like the concept of this wiki, the only thing I have agaist it is the fact that The Wasteland Survival Guide has been covering fallout fan art for the last 4 months. However I thing our forms of fan art are different as your site uploads custom reskins and croped images while our fan art is dedicated to more pencil and paper drawn art. --
EB 01:39, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
☢Valoopy☣ 01:50, August 13, 2011 (UTC)I think it's quite obvious as to what I'd vote. Anyway, I feel the Armory will really help us cut down on custom guns and the large amount of sandboxes associated with them. --
KnowledgeProspector 01:53, August 13, 2011 (UTC)Sounds like a good idea..... I might start putting up custom images soon, too, so this might serve a good purpose.
Pat:3 01:56, August 13, 2011 (UTC)Of course! It would decrease the flow of gun spam. I rememeber when GIMPing was new to the vault, a whole page was nearly filled up with custom weapons, im glad theres a new place for it! Also, IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE :3
- Edit: In case anyone misunderstood me, what I mean by 'standardising' the layout/formatting/wiki in general would be maybe, adding some base content? As in like, GIMP tutorials, perhaps? (How to download GIMP, adding camouflage/swirls etc.) This would enhance the wiki's content and make it look slightly more professional (even if you're not going for that look). It would also help out a lot of new editors who are unfamiliar to GIMP, and assist those who are but don't know how to do a certain thing. But, yeah, just my thoughts. :3 ButterflyKiss :3 02:14, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
i say yes because ive been there before, ive seen the weapons that get made and so on plus val made me the scorpion's spear.The Nemisisx 03:14, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
BILLYOCEAN 05:12, August 13, 2011 (UTC)Sorry to be the first no, but I see absolutely no point in a wiki devoted to images of fan-modified guns. It seems to appeal to only a very small niche of Vault users, and while there might be a decent amount of activity now, I don't really think that will continue far into the future.
- No just fan-modified guns, but all fan art about Fallout my friend ;). Itachou [~talk~] 12:43, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
Ryker6109:19, August 13, 2011 (UTC)~2:16am 8/13/2011.--
BigDogW 14:50, August 13, 2011 (UTC)since it is not actual fallout canon weapons it could cause confusion to new users of our site looking for things they found over on the other wiki
- BigDog, I don't think you understand the point of the Armory. There are a lot of non canon weapons here, and we are using armory as a place to put them. This way there won't be confusion on this wiki and people can still make their weapons and such. -- ☢Valoopy☣ 17:17, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
Agent c 18:06, August 13, 2011 (UTC)As long as its clearly marked as non canon, I have no opposition.
Jspoel 23:54, August 13, 2011 (UTC)I've seen people having some fun with weapon images (categorized them all) and it made me remind of the cazaclaw images some time ago. That flood has died down and I have the feeling this will go the same direction. It's fun for a while for a small group of users, but the interest won't last I think. And the time spent on those images, is time spent less on editing for The Vault. The chat has already taken away quite a number of potentially active users, we don't need anymore of that. There are still so many projects and work for The Vault, we need you there. I can't promote this becoming a Sister wiki.
m 01:38, August 14, 2011 (UTC)mYes because the armory could lead more people to the vault.
Light-Revan 13:12, August 14, 2011 (UTC)Nice idea.
aFollower 13:26, August 14, 2011 (UTC)I really like the concept, but the organization and size just isn't there. Maybe once the Vault Armory has a larger following.
Vault 815 22:46, August 15, 2011 (UTC)A fine salvation from a growing problem.
OctaviusoftheNorth 23:08, August 15, 2011 (UTC)I really like this idea, but I have to agree that the site needs a lot of work.
~ Scribe Aurora
http://imageshack.us/m/15/6929/luckmanngrenadesignatur.png Luckmann 12:01, August 18, 2011 (UTC)Sure, why the hell not.
After reading the discussion above and looking through the wiki itself, while I think that the wiki has potential, I also think that at this point it might be too early to make it an official sister wiki, given that it's been around for less than a month, and could still use a lot of work e.g. in the visual department. Still, I wish you luck, keep up the good work! Ausir(talk) <staff/> 21:16, August 23, 2011 (UTC)
- As it's 100% your ultimate decision, I respect that. And I agree with your decision as well. I do feel that we need to make the Armory much more suitable for sistership. Don't worry, we will keep up the good work! -- ☢Valoopy☣ 04:47, August 24, 2011 (UTC)