Forum:Sister Wiki request - The Wasteland Survival Guide
This is a official request by / The Wasteland Survival Guide Wiki to become a sister wiki of The Vault. The goal of this wiki is to present infomation that is omitted from The Vault such as gameplay tips, role playing guides, fan art, and anything else that relates to Fallout yet is unable to be covered here. We are an established wiki with over a hundred articles and feel that we offer a nice contrast to The Vault that will only help to improve the Fallout Wikis. We are a less formal alternitive to The Vault that is as our founder Sombar1 states "an anthology of interest" for the Fallout world. We wish to become an sister wiki not only to gain more members from The Vault but also to officially become part of the Fallout Wiki family. --RAM 08:59, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
- Gameplay tips are covered by the Vault, it's strategy that are not. Anyway, your other goals are not covered by the Vault so for me it's okay =), but I think it's a bureaucrats to take the decision.
- Also, be careful to not cover things covered by other Fallout wiki (for the respect) like:
- Fallout moddings and Fallout mods already covered by Vault-Tec Labs
- Made a Fallout PnP already done by Fallout PnP wiki
- Fallout fan fiction covered by Tranquility Lane wiki
- Good luck for your wiki ;)! Itachou [~talk~] 21:22, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
Sorry but it's wrong my friend, at least for fan art and role playing guides that are not covered by the Vault. But it's true that your objectives are unclear and vague. A better explanation of this and your motives would be nice =). Itachou [~talk~] 17:48, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
- I think that really the Bureaucrats, specifically Ausir (sorry Porter and Gothemasticator), needs to decide as it is his wiki. I agree that your objectives should be clearer though, and then I can't really see a problem with it as it is nice to have a multitude of Fallout wikis so that specific things can be found easier
As of right now we are covering gameplay strategy, role playing and fan art and are also trying to think of other things that The Vault (for reasons of content guidelines) can't cover that we could. The goal of the guide is to focus on more gameplay aspects and less canon. We also plan to start Walkthrough pages as well as guide pages on things like how to survive the deathclaw promontory or do a stupid playthrough on Fallout 2. As far as what Cartman said we're not and never have tried to compete with The Vault (If its ever come across that way I do apologize). We simply want to cover new aspects of the Fallout world that can't be here. --RAM 18:45, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
As Ramallah has said, we are mainly a "pick up where the Vault left off" kind of wiki, mainly an anthology of interest one, with guides on how to do things of interest and not specifically canon. As for our "competition" with the Vault, there never has been one, and if something like that has been said it must have been meant to rile up the troops, so to speak, as there have been points where we have had little traffic. Our goals are very specific: anything of interest goes in our wiki. If it can't go here then it can go there, although we do not allow things that have absolutely no canon to them, otherwise we'd end up being a fanon wiki, which we do not want. We want to be a Guide, as our name states, and we want to help people with the games and not necessarily just be here to lay out word for word what the games say. Essentially, we read between the lines of text. Sombar1 19:23, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
We're not trying to be a spoof wiki if thats what your implying. --RAM 07:04, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
Poll finished on August 19, 2011.
A consensus must be reached by voting before any action is taken.
- Kingclyde "As of right now we are covering gameplay strategy, role playing and fan art and are also trying to think of other things that The Vault (for reasons of content guidelines) can't cover that we could. The goal of the guide is to focus on more gameplay aspects and less canon. We also plan to start Walkthrough pages" - From what I can tell your wiki is in direct competition with this and the other wikis mentioned above. It is thus unneeded. I do believe we were going to discuss incorporating generic strategy into articles but I'm not sure where it went. At this point the only thing that your wiki covers that the others do not is strategy. That makes no sense to me to have a separate wiki for that.--Kingclyde 10:52, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
- It was discussed here King, Forum:Idea: guides. 16:16, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
- The Vault Armory Wiki. Too vague for "other things that The Vault (for reasons of content guidelines) can't cover that we could". It remains "gameplay aspects" and that doesn't need a separate wiki. In addition, all the canon and non-canon are already covered here. Itachou [~talk~] 13:47, August 12, 2011 (UTC) Fan art are already covered by the new
- 14:34, August 12, 2011 (UTC) I think that this is useful as none of the sister wiki's have guides of how to do non-quest related things, so I would suggest that once the goals of the wiki are clearer, you guys return to have another vote, with your new found focus presented. It sounds like a good idea to me, but the fact that there is some ambiguity surrounding the aim of your wiki, I'll have to be neutral.
- RAM 18:14, August 12, 2011 (UTC) Well its obvious where I stand on this. I would like to note that we have been around much longer than The Vault Armory and are starting to gain in users so its a little unfair for that wiki to take over what we've been covering for 4 months. Strategy guides have been debated about since I joined this wiki with little success so instead of trying to implement it here why not allow us a chance to cover it ourselves. I'll be the first to admit our wiki needs work but our site has a lot of potential, we just need more dedicated members to realize it. --
- Sombar1 18:16, August 12, 2011 (UTC) I think the reason I'm voting yes is obvious, but I still think my vote matters. We are a Guide, pure and simple, and the Guide is a place for guides to everything, from hunting Deathclaws to getting water. This cannot be placed here because this is a wiki with stricter rules about canon. Thus Guides that could only be placed in the forums, such as tips, roleplay guides, and standard, limited-canon knowledge, are welcome there. It isn't fan fiction, mods, PnP, or pure canon. We are where the other wikis leave off and where the canon can be stretched. We are an anthology of interest and quite simply, we are the Guide.
- Hedimius Herilius 04:11, August 13, 2011 (UTC) I think this is a good thing with immense potential. It is important to quite a large grouping of users who play on PC for its modding capabilities and would like to have a wiki that explains to them certain aspects about the said mods. Also, like it has already been stated by previous contributors, it would be nice to go to a Fallout wiki that isn't strictly limited by canon. This has my vote of confidence.
We don't cover mods, thats handled by another wiki. --RAM 07:53, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
- BILLYOCEAN 05:08, August 13, 2011 (UTC) The survival guide wiki just seems entirely unfocused and confused. I'm still not entirely sure of the point of it, or what kind of info or community service its supposed to provide to Fallout fans that they can't get in other places, and of a higher quality.
- ☢Valoopy☣ 05:51, August 13, 2011 (UTC) I agree with Billy on this one. The guide appears to just be a jumble of ideas that aren't posted on the Vault. --
- Ryker6109:16, August 13, 2011 (UTC)~2:13am 8/13/2011 .--
- BigDogW 14:47, August 13, 2011 (UTC) i don't see why anyone would use that wiki must players will just play the way they wish and the only tips they might look for are easily found here at the Vault
- Agent c 18:09, August 13, 2011 (UTC) I'm afraid I do not yet understand the Wasteland survival guides' purpose, and some of it seems to be in competition with the vault - are you trying to be H2G2 to the Vault's Wikipedia? Maybe if you come back with a bit more focus on an unserved niche
- Combat Shotgun). For these reasons I am going to have to say no. 22:47, August 13, 2011 (UTC) I actually check out this wiki some months ago, and checked back every now and then to see how it has progressed. To me, it doesn't feel like its goals and coverage are clearly defined or differentiated from that of the Vaults. It has left me somewhat confused as to what the ultimate goal of the site is. It also does feel like there is a lot of cross over on subject matter (example;
- Ryan_Liddell145. "War, War never changes..." 12:44, August 14, 2011 (UTC) I can't see why this is needed as eachperson will have their own playing style that suits them and if they need tips then The Vault has everything(More or less)
- aFollower 1:21, August 14, 2011 (UTC) No. People who need Strategy tips and help can use the forum.
- 00:56, August 15, 2011 (UTC) No. A wiki for "strategy" (as you have no other clearly defined role) is a very bad idea for one simple reason: There is an almost unlimited amount of possible strategies. Even if you tried to resolve the situation by promoting a "best strategy" rule, every single person has their own "best strategy", and edit arguments would be impossible to resolve. I don't think the Vault should be associated with this wiki. --
- Jspoel 21:55, August 18, I agree with Cartman and Scarface. Too many strategies possible, and if you want one, go for the forum. For the rest a place should be found on the current sister wikis. It's already becoming splintered too much, editors on sister wikis don't edit (that much) on The Vault anymore, while The Vault is our nr. 1 priority.
- I'm not so arrogant as to think people couldn't use help in these games. Heck, I remember my first play through of Fallout 3. I only ever found Fawkes as a companion until I was completely down with the game and accidentally found Jericho. A decent walk through of each settlement that I could depend on and don't have to pay an arse load for (I'm looking at you published guides) is very welcome. And I welcome any relationship that could help that. Especially for stuff like this "At other sites they can tell you the stats of a gun, but not how to use it. At other sites they will tell you the price of goods but not where to sell them." Stuff like that is brilliant, and much needed. And as much help I can get here, I can't get help with good places to sale certain guns or armor, or where to pick up massive amounts of ammo, etc. Not unless I want to go to the forums, but that just feels messy. Here its already there for me to find easy when I want it. Its much more timely in every way. I'm all for helping a goal like that. -Pierzstyx
As noticed by Ghost above, Ausir has given his permission for strategy here but only on specific pages. I think multiple wiki with a narrow panel of things can greatly divide the community and it would not be good for everyone. Itachou [~talk~] 20:24, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
The thing with that is it only gives limited leeway to what can or cannot be covered in stratagy. With a seperate wiki its much easier to cover all aspects of tactics and stratagy while not conflicting with canon pages. As far as dividing the community thats impossible to know for sure but I doubt it as Fallout is a very story driven game. They may come to us to learn the best way to kill a deathclaw but they'll come to The Vault to learn there origin. By that logic why even have sister wikis. You could cover strategy here just as you could PnP, Fanon, Q&A, and even Wasteland. --RAM 20:36, August 12, 2011 (UTC)
- Just butting in here, but aren't strategy problems easily solved in the forums? I do not really see the point of having an entire wiki dedicated to it, and I definately don't see the point of it having to be a sister wiki. Scar: "Say 'ello to my little friend!" 10:07, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
I just want to say thank you to all who took the time to check out WSG and offer honest feedback. This will really help the site moving forward. As far as not being needed because of the forums well part of our concept was to bring things you could only find in the forum and create articles based on that so in a way thats true but its by design. My goal in making this request was to make more people aware of our wiki so we could gain members, get honest feedback on how we could improve, and obviously become a sister wiki. I think I accomplished at least two out of three goals and this will improve the site moving forward. We'll improve the site and fix the problems that are holding us back and maybe if we're able to get things going good we'll make another request. I assure you this is not the last you've heard of The Wasteland Survival Guide.--RAM 12:14, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
Based on the above vote, the Survival Guide will not, at least at this point, be made an official sister wiki of The Vault. However, I still wish you good luck with your wiki! Ausir(talk) <staff/> 23:10, August 29, 2011 (UTC)