I've heard all about what happened. Maybe it is time for little less fightin' and more talkin'.
”— The King
G.I. Blues is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The Kings try their best to keep the peace in Freeside but recently, tensions with the NCR squatters has changed the neighborhood for the worse, and the Kings limited numbers only allow them to do so much about it.
- Talk to The King.
- Hire Orris and check out how he operates.
- After he "saves" the Courier from a group of Freeside thugs, he can be interrogated with an Intelligence check of 6, followed by a Barter check of 50. Alternatively, a Medicine check of 30 reveals that the thugs are only pretending to be dead. Even easier, the "dead" thugs can be attacked and they will run off.
- Report to The King that Orris is a fraud.
- Talk to Roy and Wayne at the Old Mormon Fort about their attackers to discover that off duty troopers are the culprits.
- Pass the NCR citizenship test: the answers are "Tandi", "Shady Sands" and "the two-headed bear" in that order.
- Talk to Elizabeth Kieran in the ruined store.
- Convey to The King what you've found out.
- Defuse the situation between Pacer and the NCR, either by killing Kieran and the other troopers, or by putting down your weapons and telling the envoy it was all a misunderstanding, depending on previous dialogue with the King.
- Return to the King and choose a favor of him.
|1|| ||Hire a guard named Orris near the northern gate of Freeside.|
|2|| ||Follow Orris to the south gate and watch for any suspicious behavior.|
|3|| ||Return to the King and report what you've learned about Orris.|
|4|| ||Go to the Old Mormon Fort and question some injured locals about their assailants.|
|5|| ||Return to the King with your findings.|
|6|| ||Head to one of the Squatter camps in Freeside and learn why NCR soldiers have been entering the area.|
|7|| ||(Optional) Talk to Julie Farkas and see if the Followers know anything about the situation.|
|8|| ||(Optional) Talk to Major Elizabeth Kieran, and mention Julie Farkas if she's reluctant to help.|
|9|| ||Return to the King and inform him of the NCR supply drops.|
|10|| ||(Optional) Inform the King that the NCR previously sent an envoy to discuss distributing supplies to Freeside.|
|11|| ||Head to the train station in northwest Freeside and try to negotiate with the NCR.|
|12||Return to the King and let him know the situation with the NCR has been defused.|
- There are two squatter camps the map markers point the Courier to, one behind the Old Mormon Fort and one near Freeside's east gate, where Santiago can be found. With the missionary in the latter one the citizenship test can be bypassed by taking a Speech check of 50, telling him a lie that the Courier surely is an NCR citizen who just moved in from California.
Behind the scenes
- During the quest, when talking to Wayne, he will mention he heard someone say "Lou Tenant", Roy then says that he means "Lieutenant", then calls him "dumber than a mutant". This is easily a reference to Lou, from the first Fallout.
- G.I. Blues is the name of a movie starring Elvis Presley. It is also the name of a song that is sung by Elvis Presley.
- The victims you are sent to speak with at Mormon Fort are Roy, Wayne and Farris. Roy Wayne Farris is better known as WWF/WWE professional wrestler Honky Tonk Man, whose wrestling theme was that of an Elvis impersonator.
After hiring Orris, he just stands still pointing his gun instead of shooting the thugs. You can fix it by killing them yourself which will advance the quest, though after he runs off he can sometimes die mysteriously before making it back to Freeside's north entrance. This bug may be caused by pickpocketing Orris's ammunition, even though he will still have some in his gun. Reloading another save will also fix this bug.
After returning to the King to inform him the NCR sent a representative to speak with him the player may get stuck. Part of the dialog sequence has a King gang member run into the room. The King gang member will get stuck trying to run through The Kings dog. After waiting a couple minutes he eventually gets through and the dialog continues. When asked to investigate the presence of NCR soldiers in Freeside, if the player doesn't ask Julia Farkas about the NCR before talking to Elizabeth Kieran, you may encounter a bug when asked to back up Pacer in the shootout with the NCR, where Pacer simply runs continuously into a wall with no dialogue options available.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|