Gatling laser (Fallout: New Vegas)
|For an overview of Gatling laser models throughout the Fallout series, see Gatling laser.|
Regular and fully modified
Background[edit | edit source]
In contrast with the L30 Gatling laser, the UB-FRIED 3000 is not only fully automatic and with a much larger ammunition capacity, but was also mass produced. While the 3000 units entered service shortly before the war, they quickly became an important part of the arsenal of both of pre-War and post-War factions.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon is a top-tier energy weapon requiring a high Strength of 8 and an Energy Weapons skill of 100 to use effectively. The Gatling laser uses electron charge packs as ammunition. It deals extremely high damage per second, particularly when used with a high Energy Weapons skill, focus optics mod and max-charged ammunition.
The Gatling laser achieves a high DPS by firing multiple low powered lasers at an incredibly fast rate, at about 1800 RPM. It consumes ammunition at an equally incredible rate, depleting a full battery of 240 electron charge packs in just 8 seconds. Like any Energy Weapon, Gatling laser automatically ignores 2 DT while using regular electron charge packs; this value raises to 5 with over charge electron charge pack, over charge and even to 10 with electron charge pack, max charge.
The Gatling laser is incredibly effective against unarmored foes such as cazadores, night stalkers and ghouls. When used with max charge ammunition, even deathclaws can easily be killed with this weapon. Its damage can be raised to 23 with focus optics and Laser Commander while using max charge ammunition. It can be raised further to 28 with ED-Educated upgrades from the Divide. Considering -10 DT effect from max charge ammunition, the Gatling laser is highly effective against medium armored enemies as well.
Compared to the Gatling laser of Fallout 3, it has significantly higher DPS and ammunition consumption rates. With the carbon fiber frame mod the weapon becomes remarkably light weight at 9 pounds (identical to a tri-beam laser rifle).
The Gatling laser model includes a large metal pack that appears on the back of anyone using it. It can fire 7624 beams, or a little short of 32 electron charge packs, from full condition before breaking.
Modifications[edit | edit source]
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Sprtel-Wood 9700, a more powerful unique variant of the Gatling laser with a distinctive bright green laser.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Gatling laser||Energy minigun||10||300||30||x0.02||10||0.6||30||ECP||240||18||1500||6800||Energy Weapons:100 Strength:8|
|Sprtel-Wood 9700||Energy minigun||16||320||20||x0.04||16||0.5||30||ECP||90||15||1000||20000||Energy Weapons:100 Strength:6|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Brotherhood of Steel safehouse - can be taken from inside, on a shelf.
- Hidden Valley bunker - can be bought from Torres after you become a member of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Silver Rush - it can sometimes be bought.
- One can be obtained during the quest For Auld Lang Syne if you choose to kill Orion Moreno. It will be on his corpse.
- During I Could Make You Care you may fight a Brotherhood Paladin with a Gatling laser.
- Occasionally carried by Brotherhood of Steel Paladins.
- If the player is level 40-50, some Marked Men in the Divide will carry them.
- If the player is level 40-50, some can be looted off of Y-17 Trauma override harnesses, most notably at the Z-43 Innovative Toxins plant in Big MT.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Taking the Heavyweight perk and adding the Gatling laser carbon fiber frame will actually cancel each other out. In theory, it should be possible to have a Gatling laser weighing only 4.5 pounds but instead it will still weigh 9 pounds (as Heavyweight does not affect weapons that have been modified to weigh less than 10 pounds). If you have the Heavyweight perk, adding the Gatling laser carbon fiber frame will grant no additional benefit apart from aesthetics.
- The Gatling laser with all mods and max charge ammunition is extremely effective against NCR troopers (excluding veteran rangers) and Caesar's Legion legionnaires (excluding centurions) due to the fact that their armor usually has a DT below 10, allowing you to literally destroy them in less than five shots in some cases. This is very useful if you want to kill Caesar or wipe out Camp McCarran or Camp Forlorn Hope, thanks to the lack of rangers and centurions in those areas.
- This is seen on a Skill magazine called Future Weapons Today.
- In Hardcore mode, a full electron charge pack will fire 6 pounds of ammunition.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes, the backpack or the weapon won't disappear when changing to a different weapon (this happens when the Gatling laser backpack is on and you switch to a different set of armor). Switching back and forth between the Gatling laser and some other weapons while having them holstered seems to fix this whenever it occurs.
- Remnants power armor, or its unique variants, you can see through parts of the battery pack, showing the orange fan through gaps in the warning signs, etc. This is a limitation of the game engine that allows to alpha layers to cancel each other. When wearing