It provides a damage resistance of 3. The primary benefit of wearing this mask is that it keeps feral ghouls friendly to the player and companions.
Although it is stated in-game that feral ghouls will attack despite the mask if you got too close to them for too long, this is not true. You can stand next to them indefinitely, follow them around or even try to talk to them.
Despite the mask being considered headwear, it is counted as a piece of eyewear and not as "full" headwear like the hockey mask. As such, certain headwear can be worn with it. In addition, your helmet does not receive any durability damage while wearing this mask. However, the ghoul mask will take the damage instead and has fairly low item HP, and it will have to be repaired by a non-player character.
- While wearing the mask, feral ghouls will not set off frag mines.
- Once the quest is complete, Three Dog will comment at the end of his news report on the quest that "you look like a complete freak show in that mask."
- If you are wearing the mask while escorting Doctor Li during the quest The Waters of Life, feral ghouls will still attack your escorts despite you wearing the mask. When they do attack, the escorts will simply run away; your companions will not attack the feral ghouls and they will still appear friendly to you regardless.
- Putting the mask on won't affect ghouls who are already hostile.
- Equipping the mask while it is broken will tell you that you cannot equip broken items. However, you permanently gain the effect of the mask, but if you unequip it you will be unable to equip it again until you repair it.