Glassed Cavern is a location in Fallout 76.
Background[edit | edit source]
Ostensibly a minor quarry operated on the edge of the former Watoga National Park by Atomic Mining Services, the glassed cavern was actually an experimental site where AMS used atomic devices to try and create artificial ultracite. This also happens to be the first lair of the scorchbeasts, where Enclave forces acting on orders from Thomas Eckhart secreted away the monstrosities, which were further twisted by their exposure to ultracite.
After the collapse of the Enclave due to infighting in 2086, following the decision to release the monsters, the Appalachian Brotherhood of Steel tracked the monsters here during Operation Touchdown in 2095. Paladin Lizzy Taggerdy gave her life trying to contain the threat and succeeded in preventing them from attacking the surface for several weeks. Her body still remains deep inside the lair, alongside equipment from Enclave's and AMS' experiments...
Points of interest[edit | edit source]
- Part of the main quest, the cavern is explored during the Belly of the Beast, as players track down the remains of Paladin Taggerdy. The unassuming surface contains a warehouse, landing pad, and other facilities typically associated with mining. It's recommended that players stock up on stimpaks, radiation chems, and especially ammunition. A thousand rounds for the primary weapon is not overkill, as the glassed cavern is what soldiers call a target-rich environment: A brutal gauntlet through dark, murky corridors.
- The real fun begins once players enter the door at the bottom of the quarry. The tunnels are a lengthy slog through hordes of scorched. The dungeon is linear. The entrance tunnel terminates in a cave-in that requires players to navigate through a side tunnel and two caverns containing AMS' maintenance equipment and the laboratory. This segues into the Auto-Miner maintenance point and a loading dock. The next stage leads to a curving cavern with a waterlogged shelter area and another small junction with a power armor frame.
- The final area of the cavern is a vast chamber where a scorchbeast made its nest. Among the scattered gear and science equipment is Paladin Taggerdy, half-buried against the eastern wall, and a steamer trunk in the western sub-chamber. Thankfully, there's a mine elevator in the back of the cavern that leads topside.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Paladin Taggerdy's ID: On her body in the scorchbeast chamber.
- Fusion core: In the locked storage closet in the chamber with the two concrete buildings.
- Power armor: In the chamber before the scorchbeast chamber.
- Ultracite Ore
- Notes and holotapes
- Bad news: Main chamber, in the offices.
- Accident: On the bench in the locker room, end of the first stretch of the main corridor.
- Dynamic spawns
- Weapon: Pickaxe
- Junk: Extinguisher, portable fuel tank, duct tape, mining light, brass miner's lamp, miner's lamp, steel and aluminum scrap
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Glassed Cavern appears in Fallout 76.